Acadiana, 9th St and New York Avenue NW - Chef Brant Tesky Moves Up from Sous Chef - Closed Dec 31, 2018

I think the reveiw is dead on. My wife and I have been several times, and we really wanted to love it ( She is from Baton Rouge) but thought it was good but not great. I think two stars is fair. We will return, if only for the biscuits!

But the Sazerac sounds great, and I can't wait to try it (though their spelling of Absinthe is somewhat unorthodox).

Incidentally, why is it that drinks menus seem always to contain so many misspellings?

Absente is the brand name of the Absinthe-like distillate they are using.

The Post review made me crave a roast beef po-boy, so I headed down to Acadiana for lunch today; my fourth visit.

Sorry to pile on, but I have to agree with almost every point Sietsema makes in his review. There's some really great items on the menu that are done well much of the time. I find the dining room to be horrendous and have usually eaten at the bar - through which I have met several of the most friendly and professional bartenders you're likely to find.

I disagree with The Post only on the fact that I'm yet to find *any* dessert that wasn't a huge disappointment. Luckily today, I was too full from my delicious po-boy and Abita Amber to much mind.

They have good po-boys, a terrific crab cake and very good gumbo and turtle soup. I do hope ppl keep giving them a shot - and maybe they make a few improvements to rise above two-stars next time around.

I think the reveiw is dead on. My wife and I have been several times, and we really wanted to love it ( She is from Baton Rouge) but thought it was good but not great. I think two stars is fair. We will return, if only for the biscuits!

dlb,

welcome to the fold.

My boss and I ate at Acadiana yesterday after going to the Washington auto show. The show was fun, but I won't make the mistake of eating at Acadiana again.

At 2pm we had to wait for a table while the hostess got people's coats and took a personal phone call while bantering with a server. Our server stepped away from our table twice while taking our order and seemed less than thrilled to be serving us...whatever. I'm used to a terrible service industry in DC. Most other cities understand the meaning of the word service, but that's another thread.

So my boss ordered the shrimp with grits and an order of hush puppies and I ordered the oyster po boy and a side of blue cheese cole slaw.

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. First, my oysters were dirty, gritty, and full of oyster crap. They tasted old and were definitely sub standard. I ate half of the sandwich. The cole slaw was a total mistake. It was ice cold and was limp and bland except the blue cheese which was nothing better than I could buy at Giant. It was simply cole slaw with blue cheese chunks thrown in. There was absolutely no thought put into this side.

My boss' hush puppies should have been good. They were studded with enough jalapenos and other bits, but were surprisingly bland and boring. His shrimp were overcooked and rubbery. He left about half of his lunch too. The best part of the meal were the pillsbury-like biscuits. We had three servings.

We both left thinking we should have followed through on the initial plan to go Zatinya.

At least I got to sit in some expensive cars.

At 2pm we had to wait for a table while the hostess got people's coats and took a personal phone call while bantering with a server. Our server stepped away from our table twice while taking our order and seemed less than thrilled to be serving us...whatever. I'm used to a terrible service industry in DC. Most other cities understand the meaning of the word service, but that's another thread.

I really just wanted to post about my dinner at Acadiana, but this under the radar insult has me seeing red. I have worked in the service industry for many years in DC and know many professional people who love what they do. It is not easy SERVING people, especially ungrateful pretentious ones, but we put on a smile and carry on because for every jerk there are twice as many people who appreciate the effort. I am sorry you feel as though DC has a "terrible" service industry. If you have bad service everywhere you go, maybe you are the one with unrealistic expectations.

That being said...

I made my first trip to Acadiana last night with 12 friends and I thought I'd share a few details from the dinner. It is always difficult to accommodate a large group, but our server, Ernie?, did a great job. We ordered a bunch of apps. I thought the char grilled oysters were the highlight. They did have little pieces of shell, but the flavor was wonderful, and the soft/crusty bread they give you for dipping was a nice treat. The trio of deviled eggs inspired me. They are such magnificent vehicles! There were three varieties; I enjoyed the fine black caviar and tiny piece of chervil on one. The guys all enjoyed their soups. I thought the oyster Rockefeller tasted like creamed spinach... good creamed spinach, but not like a soup (oysters?).

The portions are huge, and I am glad me and my friend opted to split an entree and app. for a main course. We thougth the crawfish bisque was a miss. The rice was crunchy and rue was so dark and rich it killed any hint of crawfish (but the gravy was chalk full of the frozen tail meat). I could only eat a few bites. However, I loved the fried green tomatoes. They had a crispy cornmeal crust, juicy insides and were topped with slices of shrimp in a Creole-spiced mayo. Yum! I tried a little of the tuna (nice flavors) and a bite of the grits and grillades (a little salty), a morsel of the redfish (a nice treat) and as many bites as possible of the grilled shrimp and grits (the presentation was wonderful, think shrimp heads and grilled lemons!)

Their wine list has many affordable options... a lot of funky Rhone wines, and the Muscadet for $28 was perfect for cutting through all the butter.

I could barely muster dessert, but had a taste or the spiced pear sorbet. It was more like frozen pear puree, but I can't find many things wrong with that. They finish with "heavenly hash" and all I kept thinking of was the scene in Monty Python where the waiter keeps stuffing the fat man at the table till he explodes. I guess the over eating lends a bit of authenticity; one thing I remember from my trips to the south, they're always trying to feed you.

The bar has a great art deco feel, but I wish they could make the dining room feel cozier. It is so genormous it lacks intimacy. The smaller private rooms seem like the way to go.

Maybe I won't run back, but I will definitely return

I made my first trip to Acadiana last night with 12 friends and I thought I'd share a few details from the dinner.

were you that sexy blonde in the back room? can you introduce me to your luscious raven-haired friend with the paisley hair scarf? (dirty hippie)

More in keeping with the topic, i was a leetle disappointed by Acadiana. The shrimp remoulade atop the fried green tomatoes was literally exactly the same as the one with the deviled eggs (and I didn't really enjoy it on either dish)- i wish i could've been given a heads up that it would appear on both when i ordered them. Plus the bread pudding was all eggs and no bread, which was a let-down, especially since i am a bread pudding fanatic. But my bloody mary was deeee-lish (spicy but not searingly hot), as was the dessert of lemon cake with blueberries - tart and creamy. And i agree about the muscadet - unfortunately i forget the details of the wine, but it was a good match for the cuisine.

As for me, though it was not bad (i'd classify it as Decent but Unremarkable), i don't think i'll return of my own will anytime soon...

i have to say, though, that all the dishes semed way too heavy and rich for a three course meal. 

This sums up my feelings about dinner at Acadiana last night. It was a random selection after meeting friends who were staying in the area for dinner and making a few stops at places that had lengthy waits (poor planning on my part). We were initially told they were full booked, then the host said 'let me see what we can do', and we were quickly seated. It was early - around 7:00 pm - and this would not have been possible when we left - the place was packed by around 8:45!

I really liked the space; we were seated at a table in the level above the bar, so had a great view of all the goings on in the restaurant.

Starters included the trio of deviled eggs, turtle soup, and the beet and goat cheese salad. The eggs were good, but a filling start. Turtle soup was tasty but also very rich. The salad looked decent and the plate was cleaned.

Mains were crabcakes, barbecued shrimp, and redfish with a crawfish risotto and red pepper sauce. I got the shrimp and thought they were quite good - a generous portion of 6 large shrimp and a crusty loaf of french bread. Some sort of side of vegetables would have been nice, but I guess if I wanted that I had to order it a la carte - which seems a bit much for a $26 entree. The redfish was nicely cooked and enjoyed by the one who ordered it, as were the crabcakes, mostly meat and very little filler.

Dessert was a shared order of beignets and the chicory pot de creme (yum) and the pecan tart. Both were good - tart was very sweet.

Service was good on the whole, but there were a few glitches. We ordered drinks just after being seated - a request for a Sidecar wa met with a puzzled look and required a consultation with the bartender before our server determined it was something they could make :lol: . That drink and the 2 glasses of wine didn't arrive until well after our starters had showed up. Everything else went well, until the fire alarm started going off after our entrees had been cleared. It was determined to be an alarm in the adjoining office building and the audible alarm was eventually silenced, but we had to put up with strobes flashing throughout the rest of our meal. Most frustrating, we had to have our check rung 3 times as the server acted like he heard me say to put 1/3 of the bill on one card and the remainder on another one. First, he came back with the check split in half, next, he returned with the wrong card being billed the larger amount, and finally he got that fixed, but it was only much later that I figured out he'd done a 25% / 75 % split....what has happened to basic math skills!?! Lesson learned, specify an exact amount...

Overall, it was a nice meal, but I did find it to be slightly pricey for what it was. There are other places I choose to go to first. The food was just too heavy and rich for it to be really enjoyable for me. I think drinks and a few shared apps might work better.

Most frustrating, we had to have our check rung 3 times as the server acted like he heard me say to put 1/3 of the bill on one card and the remainder on another one. First, he came back with the check split in half, next, he returned with the wrong card being billed the larger amount, and finally he got that fixed, but it was only much later that I figured out he'd done a 25% / 75 % split....what has happened to basic math skills!?! Lesson learned, specify an exact amount...

In server's defense, it sounds like a night from hell with fire alarms and a-holes all around (just kidding!), so I guess it's a good reminder to bring cash when you plan to split checks.

(PS: I'm grumpy because I went to CVS twice today and saw both a-holes and people who not only couldn't count, but also people carrying on telephone converstions about nothing while providing customer service. All others, please beat me down by PM. Don is very busy this week.)

a-holes all around

Oh yeah that's me alright!! :lol: I should add that the server gave us regular updates about what was going on with the alarm (alarm in the adjacent building, not a concern for the restaurant) and apologized for any inconvenience, and the manager stopped by (every table) to apologize and ask how everything else had been (this was before the credit card fiasco). And we really weren't jerks about it, just didn't want the solo diner to wind up paying for 2 people. I learned most of my on-the-fly math skills from my days waiting tables and I think it's sad that so many people lack the basics. [this little episode came on the heels of watching a cashier at Target become totally unable to make change because someone handed her a quarter after she'd already rung in the even dollar amount.]

End of social commentary... back to food....

Acadiana was OK, but there are other places I'd prefer to spend my money.

(no beat down necessary - I have a sense of humor and I get your references :huh: !)

Edited by goldenticket

Scott and I decided to participate in the Share Our Strength, dine out for Katrina fundraiser last night at Acadiana. We had considered a few other places, but he wanted food from his hometown and we had been wanting to give Acadiana a try since it opened. Much of it was good, one thing was excellent, and a few things might have been done better.

Starters: charbroiled oysters garlic butter, parmesan romano cheese, warm french bread, and trio of deviled eggs crabmeat ravigote, shrimp rémoulade, louisiana choupique caviar. We enjoyed the eggs, particularly the one with crab ravigote. The parmesan/butter/oyster liquor was nice to sop up with the bread, but the oysters would have benefited from less time under the broiler. Oysters are just better raw. smile.gif This dish was recommended by our server and I would not order it again.
Drinks: Sazerac (tasty) and the Louisiana Purchase (so thick with peach puree that it needed a spoon.)

Mains:
"grillades and grits" sauteed veal medallions, creamy jalapeí±o cheese grits, wild mushroom pan gravy. The veal was tender, and the gravy earthy and flavorful, although a touch salty. I wished for more grits to soak up the sauce, and none of the sauteed spinach parked underneath it.
aunt boo's fish camp crawfish etouffee, louisiana mahatma rice. Scott said this was as good as he's had back home. He cleaned his plate. Sweet tender crawfish, and although it came together nicely as a whole I could still pick out the distict ingredients.
Side: Collard greens Nice smoky flavor and vinegar hot pepper kick, marred by grittiness from insufficient cleaning.

To drink: Coteaux de Languedoc Ermitage Pic St. Loup '03 for me, the Solaris zinfandel for Scott.

Desserts: cane syrup cake bourbon chocolate ice cream, burnt sugar meringue. Delicious, dark and spicy, with a little crunch to the meringue (very sweet with a fantastic bitter edge to it. I want to make this to go with my gingerbread). The chocolate bourbon ice cream was good, but had too little bourbon flavor and was a poor match with the spicy cake.
warm bittersweet chocolate bread pudding banana-honey ice cream, praline caramel. I don't care for bread pudding, but Scott enjoyed it. The banana ice cream is something I'd like to duplicate at home.

Our service was attentive, but not overly so, and we got a warm welcome (and directions) from the host. One quibble - the desserts were recited by our server, and she omitted the one I would have ordered had we seen a menu. Portions were huge. I left at least a third of everything on my plate. Two drinks, two glasses of wine, appetizers, mains, desserts, and coffee came to $150 before tip.

On the whole a nice meal, although in the car on the way home we agreed that we'll just keep sending checks directly to New Orleans relief.

the Solaris zinfandel for Scott.

I picked the zin thinking it might stand up to the spicy etouffee, but of course I was mistaken. I would have been better off ordering a rose and treating it like lemonade, or to be more authentically Nawlins, a beer.

Starters: charbroiled oysters garlic butter, parmesan romano cheese, warm french bread, and trio of deviled eggs crabmeat ravigote, shrimp rémoulade, louisiana choupique caviar. We enjoyed the eggs, particularly the one with crab ravigote. The parmesan/butter/oyster liquor was nice to sop up with the bread, but the oysters would have benefited from less time under the broiler. Oysters are just better raw. smile.gif This dish was recommended by our server and I would not order it again.

I eat at Acadiana regularly for work (tough job, I know) and have found that the servers routinely push the charbroiled oysters. I've had at least two interactions where they were pushed HARD, even after I said "I REALLY hate warm oysters." Not quite sure what the deal is. I love most of the rest of the food, so I'm willing to suck up saying no to the warm oysters like I say no to a new Banana Republic credit card every time I go in there....

So, Acadiana. They've been opened long enough to have their act together, and last Friday, I finally got my bottom into gear to try them out.

During my eight years of music lessons that no girl from a good family in my part of the world can do without, they taught me many things. The scales and keys may have become a distant memory, but one bit of wisdom stayed forever.

"Make sure your beginning and ending pieces are strong. Then no one will care if you messed up in the middle," my teacher intoned, reaching for a ruler. "And practice these goddamn scales."

Acadiana seemed to have gone through the same finishing school. The opening act delivered the requisite bang - I loved the layout of the bar and the dining room. Somehow they were able to combine the airy feeling of tall ceilings with dark, sophisticated colors of the room. Loved the elevated position of the bar and substantial, comfy barstools on which one's bottom rests comfortably while tossing back drinks and watching the diners, in fact, can imagine self doing just that at this very moment. Loved the row of booths along the street-facing window, not that I got one - with no reservation and a torrential rain, was just happy to be indoors.

The service at Acadiana bears the stamp of Ten Pehn & Co. with too many people minding too many things. We were greeted by no less than three people doing things to our table before the actual server showed up. Throughout the meal, there have been times when we felt distinctly alone in the dining room - I would have preferred fewer people and more attention from a designated minder.

The bang-up opening act continues with the arrival of biscuits. These as a concept I consider to be a great accomplishment of American cuisine that I proudly throw in the face of fellow rude Euros who make the mistake of going on their American food-bashing bender in my presence. "Screw tarte tatin, make me a biscuit." Acadiana's are terrific, rich and flaky, and so addictive they probably have crack in them. There is a distinct danger that you will load up on these and mess up the rest of your meal. I'd be tempted to make a meal just out of these babies, along with their butter/jelly dealio spread.

The actual dishes were...well, they were a middle act. There was nothing distinctly wrong with them.

There was nothing stellar, either.

My corn chowder with crab meat tasted like corn, had lumps of crab meat in it as advertised, but didn't deliver that sharp, pure flavor to be found, let's say, at Firefly. Competent, but didn't sparkle. My soft shell crab had a pleasantly plump middle (you will never hear me say these words again), but the sauce was like a provincial orchestra where you can hear the violins, the cellos, the piano separately and the sum of parts never emerges. I could taste the corn, I could taste the cream, I could taste the bacon. The whole of these parts, I did not taste.

So we asked for more biscuits.

Ordering dessert, believe it or not, was an exercise in discipline. I was nearly bursting at the seams at that point. But not trying dessert at a new restaurant seems, well, like a waste. Must order dessert. So we split a pecan tart which was everything I want in a pecan tart - amazingly rich, crunchy, with a creamy scoop of ice cream on top. I could hear the mounting crescendo notes as I gobbled it up.

The tutti frutti finale was delivered by an act of graciousness from our sometimes-missing but as it turned out, underestimated server. By way of an apertif, I ordered a Sazerac, which I never tried before, and never will again. "I'm sure it is perfectly made," I said to him with a smile. "I just discovered I don't care for Sazeracs. That's a valuable experience in itself."

The check made no mention of Sazerac. "You didn't like it," he smiled back at me. "That's on us."

Polish, baby, polish. My heart melted. "Tip well," I said to my friend.

So, Acadiana definitely has the makings of a great performance. I can see myself whiling the night away at their barstools, filling up on biscuits, watching the scene, licking clean my dessert spoon. Parking is easy, home is less than a mile away, so there really isn't any reason not to.

Let's pay attention to the middle now, and you too can be a star one day.

I've found that some of the entrees at Acadiana stand out, while others leave something to be desired. At lunch, I'm a huge fan of the shrimp and grits -- spicy, salty (not for those who don't salt their pizza/potato chips) and creamy all at once. The sauce is heavenly. At dinner, I'm a fan of the grillades and grits and while I haven't had their crabcakes, my guests have raved about them.

As much as I've wanted it to, the grilled gulf redfish w/ seafood jambalaya has always just been bland for me. No real flavor from the seafood in the jambalaya, not a lot of spices and the redfish is just tasteless. The gumbo they have as an appetizer is missing something -- I have no idea how to make gumbo, but it could use something -- wine, sherry, something (maybe I'm just craving the booze). And the sausage in it could be spiced up a bit too.

However, those shrimp and grits will keep me coming back time and again, as will the bread pudding. I'm bummed they took the root beer float off of the menu -- it was pretty good, and I loved the little ginger cookies that came with it. Their Bloody Mary looks wonderful -- I've just never been there in company that wouldn't frown upon me having six or seven.

A date and I had a very nice dinner at Acadiana's bar last night. I wasn't sure what to expect since I've read very mixed things about it. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised!

Our cocktails were excellent - the clear standout was something that I wouldn't normally try: The Ramos Fizz. The mixture of gin, powdered egg whites, powdered sugar, and cream sounded kind of freaky on the menu but was suprisingly refreshing and light. The bloody mary is also wonderful - very spicy and garnished with pickled okra.

As for the meal, the charbroiled oysters are out of control and I don't even like oysters. Garlicy, buttery, cheesy goodness. My entree was the blackened tuna with spoonbread and creamed spinach. The spoonbread was super rich and crazy delicious, and my tuna was perfectly cooked...however, the seasoning didn't pack as much punch as I was hoping for. It wasn't a bad dish, it was just missing a certain je ne sais quoi - which seems to be a common theme. On the other hand, the veal grillades & grits that my date had were comfort food taken to the next level and I will definitely be returning to order them for myself.

The bar staff was attentive, knowledgeable and a lot of fun to shoot the you know what with. They were especially helpful when it came time for us to pick out a bottle of wine (Rudy Schultz Syrah) and also when it was time to roll my overstuffed body out of the restaurant on to New York Avenue. Overall, it was a good experience and I'll definitely be back to rustle up some of that delicious veal.

Our cocktails were excellent - the clear standout was something that I wouldn't normally try: The Ramos Fizz. The mixture of gin, powdered egg whites, powdered sugar, and cream sounded kind of freaky on the menu but was suprisingly refreshing and light.
[Distant subterranean screams that make my genes hurt]

From the Commander's Palace New Orleans Cookbook:
Ramos Gin Fizz
1 1/2 ounces Gin
1 egg white
1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
1/3 ounce lemon juice
2 ounces half-and-half or light cream
1 dash orange-flower water
Fill half a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Add gin and remaining ingredients. Shake until frothy and strain into a 9-ounce old-fashioned glass. If you use a blender pour into tall thin glasses or a double old-fashioned glass.
Too bad, I was hopeful they'd settled into an authentic groove and were radar worthy. Seriously, is the "powdered egg white" a Health Code thing or a sign of limited mixology skills? Would Acadiana use powdered egg whites in a meringue?

Acadiana has brought the customary Louisiana dining experience to D.C. --

CRAWFISH SEASON ain't over yet! We just got word from our sources in Louisiana that crawfish is in abundance and can enjoy the season for another two months. If you haven't gotten your fill of crawfish since the season began, you now have until Friday, August 31. Acadiana presents outdoor diners only with an authentic Louisiana Crawfish Boil: priced by the pound, a savory, spicy mound of the beloved "mud bugs," potatoes, and fresh corn on the cob boiled with a sack of Zatarain's, the preferred Louisiana seasoning, will be brought to your table. Wash it down with an iced bucket of Abita beer. First come, first served! No reservations necessary! The Crawfish Boil is offered every Friday until August 31, from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm only. The Crawfish is priced at $13/pound [before the corn and potatoes are added], and a bucket of four ice-cold Abita Lights is $12. Substitute succulent shrimp for crawfish at $17/pound.

For More Information:
Simone Rathlé
703.534.8100 / simonepr@aol.com

For about the fifth time, I cell-phoned Jake Parrott when I found myself confronted with an angry Bourbon list, not remembering what's good and what isn't. Not many people know more about Bourbon than Jake.

And not many restaurants have a better selection than Acadiana. I counted no less than 50 Bourbons, Ryes, and Whiskeys from their considerable list. For lovers of these spirits in this area, there's Bourbon (the restaurant), maybe Temperance Hall, and then there's Acadiana.

A Jefferson Reserve 15 Year ($10.25) was a Bourbon, but may as well have been a Rye since the nose was so wonderfully rye-y. (Rye's are made with at least 51% rye; Bourbon's are made with at least 51% corn). Drunk neat, with one ice cube on the side, it reminded me of how much I enjoy the bar at Acadiana.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Ha! I used that to soak up the flavorful leftover buttery liquid from the oysters :(

Still, hungry enough for the veal medallions and the rum-raisin bread pudding. Acadiana does pack a lot of flavor in almost all of their dishes. Also, had one of my favorite red blends, Mulderbosch Faithful Hound. Let it open for about 20, love the bouquet and the smoothness. Only miss we noted was the turtle soupand gumbo seemed a bit watery, not quite pronounced enough to our liking. The rest of it was tasty.

Staff was attentive and very cordial. Hung around till midnight, Acadiana provided all diners felted top hats, flowered leis, and a glass of champagne. Most rung in the New Year around the bar.

Good night, glad we came here. Fit the bill for a lower-key New Years Eve.

I was summoned to brunch at Acadiana this weekend with a large group of friends and was happily satisfied with our experience. The three-course $32 fixed-price brunch looked like it would surely be wayyyy too much food, but the portions were a good, reasonable size, and while we still walked out stuffed to the gills, it was a good value and not horribly overwhelming. (I personally would prefer it to a buffet any day.)

Service was well-informed and there when we needed it and away when we didn't. Drinks were well mixed, including bloody marys garnished with tasty jalepeno-stuffed olives and pickled okra, though the mint julep may be a bit sweeter than I might prefer it after 5pm. The tomatoes in the fried green tomatoes were thin, unevenly cooked, and greasy, but the shrimp in remoulade generously spooned over the top were so tasty and perfectly done that I'd still recommend the dish. (I also got to taste the pain perdue, which was beautiful in flavor and texture.) The jambalaya was perfectly spiced for my taste (some may like it spicier), and the sausage and chicken cooked very nicely. Beignets? Can you go wrong with fried dough? I don't think so!

Allow yourself a biscuit as you peruse the menu; they are lovely and well worth the stomach space and calories.

Be prepared for heavy food, so don't over order, especially since the gratis biscuits they give you are incredibly addictive. My go-tos are the oyster po boy, the fried oysters, the shrimp and grits, the blackened tilapia (if you're looking for a little lighter), or any fish special they might have running. If you're drinking, take advantage of their awesome rye whiskey selection and creative cocktails.

I still think this place is underrated, especially since Chris Clime came back over. I would recommend it, especially for lunch. The service can be spotty when it is busy, but the food has been good in my experiences and the noise level does not tend to be a problem in this huge space.

Be prepared for heavy food, so don't over order, especially since the gratis biscuits they give you are incredibly addictive. My go-tos are the oyster po boy, the fried oysters, the shrimp and grits, the blackened tilapia (if you're looking for a little lighter), or any fish special they might have running. If you're drinking, take advantage of their awesome rye whiskey selection and creative cocktails.

I still think this place is underrated, especially since Chris Clime came back over. I would recommend it, especially for lunch. The service can be spotty when it is busy, but the food has been good in my experiences and the noise level does not tend to be a problem in this huge space.

I totally second the oyster po boy call!

Bar service was quite lovely last night. Had really buttery, hit-the-spot biscuits, which was part of the pulled-pork sliders I ordered. Paired that with an Abita Amber and watching the amazing Michael Phelps last-bit reach in the 100m Butterfly for the gold certainly made my Friday night dinner.

Take-out lunch: big portion of fried catfish in thin strips (lost a little crunch on the way back to the office, but still tasty) with sweet pepper tartare sauce. The aforementioned super-buttery biscuits. A confused bleu cheese coleslaw. Overall, still a nice splurge ($14 after tax) if it weren't for that slaw.

After running the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler on Sunday and burning off a lot of calories, we decided to put them right back on with brunch at Acadiana. Ever since they started the "Parking Meter Special" of $.25 Bloody Marys and Mimosas earlier this spring, I've been wanting to hit up brunch, but I didn't have a good excuse to indulge that much until race day.

The +1 and my other friend and I showed up famished after cleaning up post-race, and proceeded to scarf down some of the delicious biscuits with the butter and pepper jelly. I like that they are a little on the smaller side so I don't feel so gluttonous eating more than one. I thought the Bloody Marys were excellent. I'm not a big horseradish fan, so I liked that they were Cajun spiced and used pepper infused vodka for the kick. Served in full pint glasses, they were really delicious (the only thing missing was celery, but not a big deal). The sip of Blood Orange Mimosa I had was very good, but these were a bit smaller, served in a narrow champagne flute.

Our appetizers included the smoked chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, the "Pain Perdou" (with bourbon caramel, pecans and bananas) and the fried green tomatoes (zatarain’s spice boiled gulf shrimp rémoulade). I think there were at least 7+ apps to choose from, including all 3 of their soups, plus deviled eggs, wedge salad, etc. My Pain Perdou (described as a New Orleans take on French toast) was awesome. It actually would have been an amazing dessert and I would hands down order that again. A thick slice of bread covered in delicious caramel with a sprinkling of nuts and some sauteed banana. The gumbo was good and smoky, and the tomatoes were three good-sized slices topped with zesty shrimp.

Two of us had the Eggs Acadiana (poached eggs over crawfish crabcakes with tasso ham hollandaise) and one had the more traditional Eggs Benedict. All were a good serving size without being overwhelming (which was nice since we were eating 3 courses plus biscuits). The eggs were all perfectly poached with a beautifully runny yolk and all were served with a nice pile of diced potatoes with lots of bites of red pepper. More lunch-type entrees offered included blackened tilapia, etouffe, jambalaya, shrimp and grits and grillades and grits.

We were all much too full for dessert, but we managed to squeeze some in. I had the warm vanilla bread pudding (bourbon cream, praline crunch ice cream) which was very good, but not the best I've never had. It needed a few more nuts, or something else, for texture to contrast the soft pudding. I thought the french market beignets (chicory coffee creme anglaise) were the winners at the table. Three huge beignets dusted with powdered sugar were sweet, yet still light. The sorbet seasonal sampler (caramel pear, banana rum, blood orange) were all very good for a lighter end to the meal.

Although even more stuffed at this point, I managed to taste the little bit of fudge (with marshmallows and pecans...like a bite of Rocky Road) that came with the check. The 3-course brunch isn't cheap at $29 (a la carte is not available at brunch), but when you're able to get $10 drinks for $2.50 total (even cheaper than the $3.00 coffee!) it makes it quite a deal.

Acadiana does crawfish boils on Fridays from 3:30 until 6:30. Being a Louisiana native, I am kind of skeptical about translating the iconic notion of the crawfish boil to the civilized environs of the city restaurant. In south Louisiana, crawfish boils are day-long outdoor affairs where everyone drinks beer while the sacks of live, wriggling crawfish are procured, soaked and cooked. Tables covered in newspapers are piled with mountains of steamy mudbugs, and everyone eats until they are stuffed. After walking around a bit, and having another beer or three, you return to the table for a second (third) round of sucking the heads, pinching the tails and creating piles of crustacean waste.

The Acadiana experience is nothing like that, but it's still a fabulous way to begin a long weekend. A pound of crawfish (barely an amuse bouche for me) is $13, and the platter comes with a potato and a half ear of corn. These are traditional additions and while I'm not a huge fan of corn, I love that the potatoes absorb the spicy, briny, sweet crawfish flavor. Acadiana's bugs were clearly pre-cooked, and pre-portioned. When an order was received, chef dunked the order in a vat of bubbling swamp water, which from the smell and taste, was flavored with Zatarains crab boil. I don't mind cold boiled crawfish, but lots of people only eat them hot. I observed that the chef was showering the bugs with some powdered spices after the re-heat (Old Bay? Zatarains seasoned salt?). In any event, I don't like that and asked for mine to be served without the added spice.

The crawfish were flavored perfectly. It's hard to screw up using Zatarains, but I was worried that chef might use too light a hand to appease naive palates. Not so. Bravo. My only complaint is that perhaps the second cooking was overkill - some of the tails did not slip cleanly out of the shells, a sure sign of overcooking. Anyway, they were delicious.

I urge you to experience this while crawfish are available and the weather is nice. Roll up your sleeves, order a bucket of Abita beer, and enjoy this little visit to the bayou.

Went downtown for a meeting today, and arrived early enough for a lunch at Acadiana. Not saying I'm an expert or anything like that, but if there's a better crawfish etoufee anywhere in this city, it has thus far eluded me. This is a hearty stew with plenty of crunch from the veggies and plenty of, um, crawfish from the crawfish. The flavors were fresh and the textures were downright fortifying. Even the mound of Mahatma rice in the center was cooked perfectly, however that's done in a kitchen that is managing 20+ dishes at any given time. On a cooler day, I might have ordered a second bowl. This dish has me convinced that Chef Tunks' tenure in Louisiana in the early '90s has blessed his menu.

I am ashamed. Embarrassed. Chastened and mortified.

I have spent years searching the streets of DC and NoVA for a solid, spicy, complex, pint-sized bloody mary. I have lived 3 blocks from Acadiana for...well, since before Acadiana existed... and only on Monday did I realize that the best Bloody Mary in the city was right under my nose. Shame on me.

(Yep - I said it. Put it right out there... Best. Bloody. Bloody Marys.)

The credit goes to my grandparents. Visiting town, stumbled upon Acadiana for lunch Friday before I returned home from work - they insisted on returning for brunch on Monday. Who am I to argue?

Best. Bloody. Marys. (w/Jalepeno olive and pickled okra! I might have swooned a bit.)

Moving on... we shared several apps at the bar - the beet salad, deviled egg trio and the ridiculously tasty roasted oysters. All were tasty (the eggs were a bit contrived for my taste but yummy so no heartburn there) but the oysters stole the show. I didn't ask about sourcing but man, they were tasty.

We moved on to share a 12 Napkin Roast Beef Po'Boy and a Muffaletta. That Po'Boy would make you want to cry. It is a sight to behold and a wonder to devour. Fresh roast beef and chewy, crispy bread that you won't lose a tooth to and all the fixins. This is a damn good sandwich. The Muffaletta was quite tasty as well with a satisfying crisp to the bread and an excellent meat/cheese ratio. It was a bit saltier than I would have liked but we certainly didn't turn it away from the table.

Closed the meal (and the visit) with the vanilla bourbon bread pudding. Described by my entertaining, Manhattanite grandparents as "cute" -- the plate was devoured within minutes.

I'll be honest. I have pretty much written DC Coast off a few years ago. Ceiba fell off the list last fall. Acadiana was a wonderful surprise and a delicious reminder that restaurants can't be judged by their siblings. I'm looking forward to retuning, early and often.

Met an out of town friend at Acadiana last night for dinner. We sat outdoors on a near perfect evening - weatherwise. Dinner wasn't as perfect. I started with the buffalo frog legs. The batter was nice and crispy but the frog legs themselves were tough, flavorless, and watery (I suspect they were frozen). My entree was the red snapper duarte with house made fettuccine, rapini, shrimp, and herbsaint scampi butter. The dish was in a pool of butter which was visually daunting (saturated fat) but it tasted really good. The fish was seared perfectly, and I loved the hand made pasta. To make matters worse, I ended the meal with cafe au lait ice cream. Overall, a pretty good evening and a place I'd go back to.

Funny, I too had dinner last night at Acadiana, although we were seated indoors. I started with the trio of soups: a small cup each of chicken and andouille gumbo, corn and blue crab soup, and turtle soup. The gumbo was pretty tasty, the other two kind of meh. One of my companions had the frogs' legs, and they looked pretty good but I didn't taste. My main course was the "pan-crisped roasted duck" which was an enormous honking serving, and which our server had plugged vigorously. It was apparently a half of what must have been a gigantic duck, with almost all of the bones removed, served atop some dirty rice and collard greens. The duck was very thoroughly cooked, breast and leg alike, with glazed, crisp, beautiful skin. My companions had to help finish it. It was really delicious. The others had the evening's special, an odd-sounding mahi mahi with a crust of crawfish crab-cake, which I also didn't taste. One of my companions lamented not having ordered the duck, but he got to eat plenty of it anyway. All in all, not bad.

Lunch at Acadiana today. Two of us both had the special crawfish and crab cakes, served with a summer green salad. The cakes were good--two with no filler, light mustard based dressing and nicely crisped BUT they were really undersized. Maybe 3" across and half an inch thick. I'm not sure how much they were because my friend paid but if they were anything close to the $29 for the regular lunch menu crab cakes, that would qualify as ridiculously overpriced given how undersized they were. On the other hand, the salad served with the medallions (better term for what we had than cake) was very nice. Several different summer veggies including radish, small onions, wonderful snow peas and a light vinaigrette. Service was very good.

Edit: So it seems the crawfish/crab cakes weren't expensive at all. Found out that we spent only $46 for two orders of those with a $9 "BLT Salad" and two non-alcoholic drinks. That total also includes tax. That would imply the craw/crab cakes in the mid to lower teens--a very fair deal. But still think a bit bigger and a few more dollars would be even better.

Edited by darkstar965

Heading to Acadiana in a couple weeks for a group lunch. Glad to be going there when crawfish is in season! Etoufee for me, unless I go for the seafood chopped salad (spiced shrimp, crawfish, marinated crab, grilled corn, cucumbers, fresh basil - and radish which I'd skip), which would leave more room for flaky biscuits with pepper jelly. I love good etoufee - haven't had Bayou Bakery's yet (since it's a weekly special and I haven't been there on the right night).

Is this the menu of appetizers? Are the appetizers still half price during happy hour?

Looks like happy hour has been modified to "Everything's $5" - used to be half priced appetizers, $4 beers, $5 wine selections. Here's the details... (I'll miss the half priced charbroiled oysters)

http://www.acadianarestaurant.com/downloads/clientuploads/acadiana-promotions_67_3216406366.pdf