Devon & Blakely, A New York Sandwich Chain Open in Three DC Locations

I am always looking for quick breakfast and lunch places, as document review can be draining and snacking is fun. So, I am quite happy that Devon & Blakely is literally right across the street from my current project.

They have a wide-offering of breakfast foods (croissants, muffins, scones, parfaits), to lunch (sandwiches, made-to-order salads, small sides, and lots of soup selections), to snacks (rice krispies, UK candies [e.g. Aero, KitKat, Polo], cookies, chips/pita crisps, rice krispies). They also have some vegetarian & vegan options available.

Breakfast items: I can't recommend the Iced Coffee -- it was super-weak, but the sugar-free scone was very good. It had a bit of a ginger kick, which was a great way to start off my day.

Lunch: Green Pea Soup with Mint & Lemon (v) *really* hits the spot. Also enjoyed the sampling of Butternut Squash Apple soup. They also have cold soups available, with a Carrot & Ginger one I am interested in trying. Soups range from $3.25 to $5.25 for a 12oz. Also ordered a made-to-order small salad ($2.95 base) + toppings ranging from $0.75 to $2.00. (in my case it was $4.45).

My wallet will be a bit lighter and tummy happier going back to try more stuff here for the next few weeks....

1331 F Street, NW

Washington, DC 20004

A second location just opened on 15th Street, NW, across from Le Bar & Ici Urban Bistro. Happened to walk by there today and saw the "Grand Opening" sign, but didn't go in.

Interesting. That's less than half a block from my office.

This could be my new inexpensive meal deal.

Devon & Blakely's prepared food section, an array of salads and roasted veggies etc. A small container of curry chana (chickpeas, curry oli and veggies, not amazing but solid, could use a touch of salt) and roasted veggies (eggplant, tomatoes, zuccini, not bad) both $2.50 each. add on a hunk of free bread at the cashier and you have lunch for $5.50 (included tax).

The containers are the right size for taking to the park and enjoying today's weather!

I used to eat at a D&B location by my Rock Center office building at least 2x per week. I really liked the soups, especially when paired with a small sandwich (made on a bagel stick). Come to Tysons please, D&B.

It's not the sandwich of Kibbee Nayyee's dreams, but the Cuban at Devon & Blakely is pretty tasty.

I take it back. The last time I had it, a year or two ago, I like it. A week or two ago, not so much. Go for the (completely un-Cubano-related) cheese-veg sandwich instead.

Had a couple very nice lunches from here this month. They have a huge number of soups, and I particularly appreciated the toppings they can sprinkle on any of them (cilantro was my pick, I also saw onions, tomato chunks, and shaved parmesan). Some were marked low-fat or vegetarian, which is nice info to have available without having to ask. Sandwiches looked excellent, and the one I had was very tasty: prosciutto, manchego, fig preserve, on nice bread (baguette, I think). The fig preserve was present in every bite and added a lively flavor that elevated this above most sandwich places. Good looking salad selections, nice cornbread (on the sweet side, but that's how I like mine), and good prices - I'll definitely be back.

There is one by GW now also. Actually, it has been there quite a while. It is between Circa and the circle, right across from the hospital. The make your own salads here are quite good. You get to decide between large and small and what type of lettuce. Then just hand it to the salad-making guy and pick from the huge list of stuff to go in it. I find it is better and much less expensive then the Sweet Green around the corner.