"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

You not imaging things, WWZ. He left in August for The Dining Room. I'll add an edit when I can find an article about this.

ETA: Maybe September? Here is Tim Carman's Young & Hungry post about Josh Whigham taking over Michael Voltaggio's place at Bazaar.

Ah ha! Thanks so much goodeats, I really was being to think I'd hallucinated..!

If you read the 4 star LA Times review of Bazaar it mentions Michael. And I was watching the beginning of episode one this morning on Bravo and when all the chefs are meeting each other Mike Isabella mentions that he help Michael open Bazaar as part of Jose Andres team.

If you read the 4 star LA Times review of Bazaar it mentions Michael. And I was watching the beginning of episode one this morning on Bravo and when all the chefs are meeting each other Mike Isabella mentions that he help Michael open Bazaar as part of Jose Andres team.

Doesn't Marcel Vigneron work there (Bazaar) now? I thought something was said about that on the "reunion dinner" episode.

I think they gave it to Michael because he doesn't have his own restaurant, unlike Bryan. I guess they thought he could benefit more from the monetary prize.

That said, I would dine at Bryan's or Kevin's restaurants before Michael's. Actually, I have dined at Bryan's Volt and it was a fabulous experience.

Is it just me or did Bryan get ripped off last night? I went into the final episode thinking that I'd be happy with anyone of the three winning, I didn't have any strong preferences, they are all extremely talented. But after watching the show, I feel differently. Byran appeared to have done the best overall. He had the single best dish of the evening with his venison, and scored best on dessert. Michael scored well on the mystery box course but overcooked his dessert and, like Bryan, had mixed comments on the other two dishes.

I don't think it was as much creative editing as it was the judges looking back at the season and judging on that rather than the meal for this challenge. Michael won more elimination challenges and they gave him credit for it. If they judged just on last night's meal, Bryan should have won.

Bryan seemed to do the best last night, but then again, we didn't taste the food. Also, I think the judges chose a winner based on performance over the entire season and not solely on the final challenge. I thought Bryan was going to win, and I was surprised that Michael won especially because the judges rarely go for the chef who takes risks/thinks outside of the conventional. That said, I'm wicked happy for him because he was the only finalist without his own restaurant and the prize will really help him out. Overall this was a great season, and I'm not sure Top Chef could get much better in terms of the competition. The four finalists were the four best chefs.

You know I really wanted Bryan to win and was a little disappointed when he didn't (I thought he won dessert- it was complete and done well and yes sophisticated and the main course), but my Husband reminded me that we have eaten both their food and I did like Michael's much more, it was really creative and had some really nice flavor profiles. That said, I think they both could learn from each other and I hope they do.

Just saw this posting:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b157305_tom_colicchio_serves_up_top_chef_finale.html

Which contains this morsel:

"According to Tom, the next season won't begin shooting until one month after host Padma Lakshmi has her baby, and despite reports, a city has yet to be determined. San Francisco, Hawaii, Texas and Washington, D.C., are among those in the running."

Can't fault them for giving the win to Michael. From Tom's blog, it's apparent that the judges thought Michael's squab was better than Bryan's venison. That really didn't come through in the way the show was edited.

Excellent season, but I hope they think about changing up the judges next time around. Gail Simmons has never done much for me (though I suspect she'll be there as long as F&W is a sponsor), and Toby Young is annoying. If only they could get Bourdain back. . .

Anybody else catch the reunion show last night?

Most interesting tidbit: the V. brothers revealed that they are thinking about a joint project. I would guess that the greater DC area would be the most likely destination for such a project (given that they are from here).

Most awkward moment: Mattin asking Padma if she became pregnant during the breakfast-in-bed episode. I can't believe they didn't edit that out.

I didn't see it either, but google tells me it was Kevin.

So Bryan was runner-up for fan favorite as well as Top Chef. During the reunion episode they had a telephone poll for people to weigh in on which Voltaggio brother should have won Top Chef. The results of the phone poll were decisively that Bryan should have won. So Michael ends up in first, with 125k plus other miscellaneous cash prizes and a new Prius. Kevin ends up in third place, with $45k. And Bryan wins no cash at all. That doesn't seem the least bit fair.

I watched the fan favorite video and didn't know Kevin and his Wife separated right before the finale. That must have been really tough. I don't think I could cook the meal of my life with all that emotion. With all of that I am glad he has gotten all that he has from the show. I am sure he can use the support and we can all support Bryan by eating at his restaurant :angry:

I watched the fan favorite video and didn't know Kevin and his Wife separated right before the finale. That must have been really tough. I don't think I could cook the meal of my life with all that emotion. With all of that I am glad he has gotten all that he has from the show. I am sure he can use the support and we can all support Bryan by eating at his restaurant :angry:

Yep. More here. Puts his emotions when his mom showed up for the finale in some more context.

So, what do y'all think--where will they be setting up the "Top Chef kitchen"? In a space in D.C. or in the 'burbs?

If it's in DC, will it be north NW or downtown? Arlington, maybe? They'll no doubt send them shopping at a Whole Foods. Which one?

Al Dente--have you heard about it?

So, what do y'all think--where will they be setting up the "Top Chef kitchen"? In a space in D.C. or in the 'burbs?

If it's in DC, will it be north NW or downtown? Arlington, maybe? They'll no doubt send them shopping at a Whole Foods. Which one?

I imagine that they will send them to the farmer's market at some point. It would be great to show what the are has in terms of local product. On that note, hopefully the show is not too early in the spring.

Good God, I hope that Top Chef DC will actually be set up in DC - I am guessing downtown, as there are a number of production facilities there. It seems like past seasons of TC have been set up within the city they take part in, as opposed to say, the Real Housewives series, where many cast members don't live remotely near the cities they are "representing" (see the Atlanta cast, for one example).

If it's in DC, will it be north NW or downtown? Arlington, maybe?

One of my sources tells me it will be based in the Washington Hilton.

Last night in bed, Padma told me all about it. We'll be seeing a lot more of each other.