Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

For the love of all that is holy, last night's dinner could not have been more sublime.

I had the Blue Devil, he had the short rib. I laughed when I realized that we had forgotten to order salads, but will admit that we might not have had room. And we had broccoli so I didn't feel so guilty.

A really lovely bottle of Sicilian red. Key lime pie and dark chocolate mousse. A goodly portion going home to be today's lunch.

We haven't had such a great time at dinner in ages. And ohhhh, that Blue Devil. I might have had a hard time ordering anything else. Ever. Seriously.

What is this Blue Devil that you speak of?

Nothing less than a plate fulla love adorned with Diablo sauce and blue cheese, that's all. (OK, that's not all - garlic and caramelized onions.)

It prompted a "hey, yours is good, but mine is better" gloat from me.

It caused me to be somewhat snide when my friend suggested I meet his new girlfriend over dinner at some _other_ steakhouse last night.

Watch out, this one is dangerous.

Is it possible to get the crab bisque to go? My friend just had an operation and he can't eat steak now but he loves the bisque.

We typically do not do to-go, but exceptions could be made for bisque now that we have containers from Hell-Burgers (but not during dinner service, please). Not for steaks, though, so please don't ask.

I have considered making the small trek to Ray's in Rosslyn or other location(s) however I am not extremely mobility friendly at this point. Is there a day/time that is slow enough that we can just stroll in and have a late lunch or early supper? I injured my back rather badly and am on crutches on occasion depending on how good the day is... Is there any Ray locations that have Valet or on-site parking. Everything sounds so good and tasty but I hate to be able to sit down and have dinner with pain.

I have considered making the small trek to Ray's in Rosslyn or other location(s) however I am not extremely mobility friendly at this point. Is there a day/time that is slow enough that we can just stroll in and have a late lunch or early supper? I injured my back rather badly and am on crutches on occasion depending on how good the day is... Is there any Ray locations that have Valet or on-site parking. Everything sounds so good and tasty but I hate to be able to sit down and have dinner with pain.
Ray's the steaks has a parking lot that can often be busy depending on the time of day. I don't believe The Steak's does lunch, but an early dinner should provide you parking and a quick table :lol:

Drivers in the DC Metro Area: A Venn Diagram by Dan Cole

3102149751_13566012b1.jpg

The only bright side to commuting in DC on nights like last night is that I can say, "Fuck it. I'm not sitting in this shit, getting home at seven, and then cooking dinner. I'm pulling off and going to Ray's."

A 5:50 arrival was perfect. The weather conditions begged for a hearty plate full of bacon and I was soon warmed in a cocoon of perfect pork fat. Then for my entree I had my first encounter with the coullottes with the porcini puree and mushroom/onion side.

A little backstory. The first steak dish I ever made on my own (this was back in middle school / early high school) involved me sauteeing some mushrooms and onions, then dumping into the middle of it a thin sirloin that I'd covered in enough pepper to buy three Spanish treasure galleons (seriously, the next day my extremities felt spicy), then I tossed in some canned beef broth, brandy, lit the whole thing on fire, and cooked the shit out of it.

It was inelegant. It was imperfect. But it was mine and I thought it was wonderful. The intense beefiness. The earthy sweetness of the mushrooms and onions. If I had become a chef and evolved this dish with expertise and finesse to elegance and perfection it would have turned into the coullottes I had at Ray's last night. Thank you, Michael!! Of course, unlike Michael I would have charged much more than $18.95*.

The only thing that detracted from the experience was that someone at the table next to me ordered the house special (NY strip w/ brandy mushroom cream, pepper, and blue cheese) well done and then asked for ketchup. Talk about adding insult to injury! The staff handled this barbaric request with good nature and aplomb, but I had their back. When the guy wasn't looking I dumped in this Peruvian voodoo powder I'd picked up that causes either sonic diarrhea or something called "colonic acne" (my quechua isn't that great). He'll get what's coming to him.

So as always, a big thank you to the folks at Ray's!

*Did I get the price right? I should really write these things down.

PS - And Michael... I will not be patronizing your establishment again this month unless you put on some blaring Christmas music!! (you're welcome, Danielle)

Michael-

I am having a 20 person b-day party on Feb 27 (Fri) 2009. I am a major carnivore and love your restaurants. Is there any way we could do this in one of your places? I'm thinking about a 45 minute cocktail time with major alcohol and appetizers, then a private area with major decadent steak with the works and desert and wine. I do not think you all have the needed private room/area, but I wanted to make sure before I make a reservation elsewhere. I had heard rumors that you might be opening up a different "Steaks", maybe with a private room? Also, assuming I cannot do it at Steaks/Classics, where would you recommend?

Thanks,

Todd Waldman

waldmant@georgetown.edu

Michael-

I am having a 20 person b-day party on Feb 27 (Fri) 2009. I am a major carnivore and love your restaurants. Is there any way we could do this in one of your places? I'm thinking about a 45 minute cocktail time with major alcohol and appetizers, then a private area with major decadent steak with the works and desert and wine. I do not think you all have the needed private room/area, but I wanted to make sure before I make a reservation elsewhere. I had heard rumors that you might be opening up a different "Steaks", maybe with a private room? Also, assuming I cannot do it at Steaks/Classics, where would you recommend?

Thanks,

Todd Waldman

waldmant@georgetown.edu

I would call Classics during the afternoon and discuss it with them. While I didn't have cocktails in a separate area, I have used the back room at Classics for a private dinner of that size before without a hitch.

The usual suspects defied the inauguration crush by convening at Ray's the Steaks Sunday night. There was a tie-up at the mouth of the Key Bridge, but other than that the traffic was OK, especially after I got into the backflow of an ambulance. When we entered, Michael said he had a special table reserved for me way in the back, which turned out to be an acidulous reference to my snarky complaint some months ago about the marathon hike at Restaurant Eve. Serves me right.

We had pork bellies, shrimp scampi, crab bisque and various kinds of steak (mine was the Blue Devil with chipotle), followed by coconut pie and white mousse with strawberries. The food, as usual, was scandalously satisfying.

For the first time, the menu is published on the web:

http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/restaur...ays_the_steaks/

When I asked Michael what had provoked his William Blake quote (from "Tyger, Tyger") on this board having to do with "fearful symmetry", he said that was a reference to their providing both ketchup and catsup. Huh? I confess the joke escapes me, if it is that.

The homebound trip was free and clear. The touristic hordes had retired.

Since you seem concerned about this, I'll say that I assume this is about the restaurant moving down the street to another space, something that has been discussed for some time.

I asked Michael about it last night and he shrugged his shoulders and said that they were ready to go, but that everything with the inspectors and county needed to be finished up before opening. I was pleased to hear that he estimated some time in early to mid February, but it sounded like that was partially out of his hands.

The place was humming last night at 6:15, and they were training a few new servers so there were a lot of people on the floor. Service was as good as it has been in our last several visits, which was a great sign with the new restaurant opening looming.

The Coulotte is worth arriving before 7:00 for, which appears to be around when they typically run out of this cut. I had mine rare last night, and the center of each of the pieces on steak on the plate was actually kind of cool in the center, which I loved. If you haven't gotten this yet, it's definitely worth a special (early) trip to get it.

I have never had bad service at Ray's, but tonight it was superb. So many different people helped me with wine, dessert, etc. that I was made to feel like I was the only person in the place (which, believe me, was definitely NOT the case). Tonight, the place hummed like a particluarly well-oiled machine, with Michael watching over it all like a hawk. Or a mother hen. Or a mother hawk-hen.

Now for the food: This was my first visit since the introduction of the "butcher cuts" menu supplement. As much as I'm in the tank for the House Special, I forced myself to branch out tonight and try the NY Strip "Bertolucci". The marrow adds a rich, decadent touch to an already superb cut of beef. I didn't think of this until after I ordered, but the fact that this was probably my "last tango" at Ray's until the iminent move to the new digs made this selection all the more appropriate.

I look forward to the new digs, but tonight's experience will always leave me with a warm memory of the Ray's that was.

A long-planned dinner with two friends who have never experienced the bliss that is dinner at Ray's coming up this Friday. I'm assuming we'll be dining at the present location? Should we expect down time between the two?

I predict it will all run as seamlessly as the transition to digital TV :P

From Kilman's Chat Today:

Ray's the Steaks, Lowering Its Prices ...

... Ray's the Steaks, the David-like steakhouse that took on the big meat Goliaths and won, will reopen in its new location in the Navy League Building just up the street in Clarendon (2300 Wilson Blvd.) on Tuesday the 10th with a new reservation policy, two price drops and a new "bistro special."

Reservations will be available by phone throughout the day for any of the 16 tables in one of the main dining rooms. For a table in the other, larger room -- which seats 90 -- there's a phone-ahead wait-list.

Landrum has lowered prices on his NY Strip (down from $29.95 to $27.95) and his 9-ounce filet mignon (from $27.95 to $25.95), and has instituted a three-course bistro special (soup or salad; hanger steak or scallops plus mashed potatoes and creamed spinach; and dessert) for $23.95 Monday through Friday. Eight new items, priced between $14-$19, have also been added to the menu.

RTS will also begin selling wines from the list for retail purchase, at a discount. ...

Anyone know if there will be any downtime between the two locations? We had planned on taking my father in law to RTS this sunday for his birthday.

Last time I talked to our resident improprietor (last week) the answer was "no". But it's his place and he could change his mind for any number of reasons at any time.

Not a very helpful answer, huh? Try calling on Saturday and asking, and try calling again on Sunday to confirm, is my advice.

Anybody want to suggest a nearby bar/lounge where we (party of three) could retire after dinner to just chat and catch up? I guess on a Friday it's a tall order to look for a place where we might be able to hear each other, hmm.

Do you want to drive or walk?

Anybody want to suggest a nearby bar/lounge where we (party of three) could retire after dinner to just chat and catch up? I guess on a Friday it's a tall order to look for a place where we might be able to hear each other, hmm.

First step would probably be to pop your head in to Guajillo and check. Next, Piola might be an option .. it has a reasonably sized bar area and might not be too crowded. And there's the bar at Red Hot & Blue, too.

I predict it will all run as seamlessly as the transition to digital TV :P

Ouch.

Thankfully, the previous administration had nothing to do with the opening of the new Ray's: The Steaks, so I hope that won't be the case.

We are definitely in place to open on Tuesday the 10th in the new location (immediately past the Courthouse intersection at 2300 Wilson, in the same building as the 5 Guys and Me Jana, but in the front, left (e. g. Clarendon) side of the building. If, for any reason, we will not be ready to open at 2300, we will just continue to operate at 1725 until we are. So there should be no interruption of service.

In any case, beginning the 10th there will be a live person at the non-operating location to provide information and possibly transportation, and to phone ahead to the other, operating location to secure a place on the list for the guest.

Because of the logistics of the move, there we aren't able to organize any friends and family nights or grand opening events. However, on opening night, I will be performing a faithful word-for-word re-enactment of the opening night scene of Larry David's restaurant in "Curb Your Enthusiasm," with me playing all the parts (as opposed to Humbert's insistence that "all the boy parts be taken by girls" in the performance of Claire Quilty's "The Enchanted Hunter").

You don't want to miss this: I had a dental appointment!

For the person that asked "Anybody want to suggest a nearby bar/lounge where we (party of three) could retire after dinner to just chat and catch up?"

You could get a beer at the Rhodeside Grill or else go over to Clarendon St. and walk a block to Yaku, which is an attractive lounge.

What is the parking situation at the new venue?

There are a fair number of meter spots on the block the building is on. There are several surface lots one block away. The building itself has an indoor garage, though my recollection is that there is no easy access from the garage to the part of the building that RTS is in.

Exciting news for all three of you out there (and trust me, I am not one of them) that aren't sick of me and/or Ray's: The Steaks in the media (I am quickly becoming a veritable barton seaver/Jose Andres/Todd Gray all wrapped up in one) I will be a guest/roast victim on Warren Rojas' chat on the Northern Virginia magazine website today beginning at 11 AM.

Now the chance to find out all you never wanted to know about my sex life and find out the answer to the all important question: Commando in the Kitchen--Do I or Don't I?

Exciting news for all three of you out there (and trust me, I am not one of them) that aren't sick of me and/or Ray's: The Steaks in the media (I am quickly becoming a veritable barton seaver/Jose Andres/Todd Gray all wrapped up in one) I will be a guest/roast victim on Warren Rojas' chat on the Northern Virginia magazine website today beginning at 11 AM.

Now the chance to find out all you never wanted to know about my sex life and find out the answer to the all important question: Commando in the Kitchen--Do I or Don't I?

Here's the link ... click.

From Warren's chat today:

Ramit, IN

Michael, Is it true you're trying to buy Camelot and rename it Ray's The Sausage? The rumor is out there. Don R.

Michael Landrum:

Wouldn't that just be a dream come true, my friend?

And who would you recommend as my chef? As if I didn't know...

I, for one, am itching--nay, dying--to hear details about the menu at Ray's the Catch.

"Ovaltine & scotch"?! Awesome chat, Michael. Well done!
I was wondering if these were separate drinks or a mixed drink :P:D. I like the dual reservation system for the new place. We haven't been in recently and will have to check out the new location.

We are definitely in place to open on Tuesday the 10th in the new location (immediately past the Courthouse intersection at 2300 Wilson, in the same building as the 5 Guys and Me Jana, but in the front, left (e. g. Clarendon) side of the building. If, for any reason, we will not be ready to open at 2300, we will just continue to operate at 1725 until we are. So there should be no interruption of service.

In any case, beginning the 10th there will be a live person at the non-operating location to provide information and possibly transportation, and to phone ahead to the other, operating location to secure a place on the list for the guest.

Because of the logistics of the move, there we aren't able to organize any friends and family nights or grand opening events. However, on opening night, I will be performing a faithful word-for-word re-enactment of the opening night scene of Larry David's restaurant in "Curb Your Enthusiasm," with me playing all the parts (as opposed to Humbert's insistence that "all the boy parts be taken by girls" in the performance of Claire Quilty's "The Enchanted Hunter").

Wonder what my chances are of getting in on Wed the 11th for Jim's birthday (a.k.a. Jim Rice)? :P

Several of us said our goodbyes to Ray's the Steak (the original) last night. While the food was great, the company was better. Many of us remarked that we started our DR relationships at several of the Ray's dinners. As we reflected, we realize that Ray's is just moving and the original site is being repurposed, but there was a bit of sadness knowing that the concept was moving on. Glad to report that the car top will remain with the building (as will my wiliness to climb up there and write "Wash me" in the dust.

Michael, Thank you for all you have done over the years, it goes way beyond a simple steak at a fair price! I am sure you will have further success with the new (and old) venues.

We were there last night, as well. We were seated at about ten of nine. Perhaps you had already left by the time we arrived? It was as usual, straightforward food, great quality, well cooked, friendly and efficient service, astonishing value. We're looking forward to the new location and the re-purposing of the current one. You rock, Michael.

The new dining room is gorgeous. Huge mirrors on the walls make the already large dining area seem even larger. The pirate flag is prominently displayed. The food, prices and service are what you expect from ML. No opening night is without it's glitches, but nothing that won't be addressed quickly I'm sure. Congratulations for making the move and opening such a beautiful room, Michael. Take a bow and a breath - but not for too long! We're looking forward to see what Ray's The Catch brings us! :P

ps....Still have the Beastie Boys running through my head

Can we lay out the exact rules for reservations?

As stated above, reservations are accepted for a small number of tables, right?

Is the phone-ahead wait list just a phone version of the system that was previously in place? (That is, where you could go in and put your name down for any open spot that evening?) If this is the case, what time can one start calling?

And congrats on the new opening. I have no hesitation in using the word "beloved" when referring to the Ray's empire.

Readers may discount what I am about to say with the knowledge that I am totally in the tank for Michael Landrum. I have eaten at four of his emporia and have never had less than a marvelous meal. Opening night at the new RTS location was, not to put too fine a point on it, glorious. The quality of the beef, the ergonomic chairs and booths, the Bernie Madoff décor, the self-flushing toilet -- what's not to like? It's true there was a teensy problem with the ventilation toward the beginning of the evening, but a loving Jehovah smiled on Michael and made it balmy outside so that all the doors could be opened, and the smoke dissipated. It never was so bad as to cause teary eyes or scratchy throats, but the imperturbable staff took it seriously, and by 7 o'clock there was nary a whiff of the problem. We must have had four waitpersons at our table. One said she was the dessert server. They all seemed skilled in their tasks, though there was a sense of opening night jitters. Anyway, it's a nice, open space with the same menu as down the street, along with the styrofoam boxes if you need them. My companion said he's taking his Swiss relatives there next Summer -- and the Swiss know service!

Can we lay out the exact rules for reservations?

As stated above, reservations are accepted for a small number of tables, right?

Is the phone-ahead wait list just a phone version of the system that was previously in place? (That is, where you could go in and put your name down for any open spot that evening?) If this is the case, what time can one start calling?

And congrats on the new opening. I have no hesitation in using the word "beloved" when referring to the Ray's empire.

About one-third of the restaurant (50 seats, 16 tables) is advanced reservations, about one-third is same-day, call-ahead wait list, and about one-third is for walk-ins.

Considering that the original Ray's The Steaks at 1725 seats about 45, that should leave plenty of opportunity for availability under almost any circumstance--whether "the parents are coming into town in three weeks and I'd really like to take them to Ray's" or "man, I could really use a steak tonight" or "oh my god that hot, sweaty sex I just had for hours after surprising my girlfriend with flowers when she got home from work was fantastic, I have GOT to get a steak!" (Don will have to come up with a different excuse).

Reservations or same-day wait list can be done in person or by phone--(703) 841-RAYS.

In all cases, we would still request that guest limit lingering time after the completion of their meal while others are waiting for a table.