Nova Europa, Near Wheaton Regional Park

We occasionally eat at Nova Europa whenever I want a Portugese food fix. They have a coupon in the Weekender fairly often for a three course meal that is a good deal.

Our visits here have been hit or miss. I have never had a problem with the food, it has been uniformly good not great, but then I usually stick to things that are seafood or traditional Portugese dishes (I like the pork and clams, even if isn't as good as what I had in Portugal) The service has usually been pretty good, but once or twice it has been slow.

The sardine appetizer is wonderful. Not the little sardines from the can; big, plump sardines that have been sauteed and marinated - served with a cover of marinated onions and carrots. Love them. Watch out for the bones though. Grilled calimari is always good (Lulu in Portugese) but then I love calimari in any form.

I also like getting a bottle of the Vino Verde as it reminds me of our honeymoon.

Bottom line, it is not my favorite place, but it is not off my list either. There are just too many places to eat in the area and DC is so close. We tend to go there two or three times a year for the past 7 or 8 years.

We occasionally eat at Nova Europa whenever I want a Portugese food fix.

Gosh, I had no idea that place was still around. I haven't seen or heard it mentioned in years, and assumed it was long gone. I ate there a couple of times back in the late 80s, I think, after having visited Portugal but before living there for a time. I thought it was pretty good back then.

(I like the pork and clams, even if isn't as good as what I had in Portugal)

This dish, carne de porco alentejano in Portuguese, is one of my very favorites (in any cuisine). I don't think I ever had it at Nova Europa, but I've tried the versions at both Tavira in Chevy Chase and Caravela in Tenleytown and was disappointed greatly by both. In both, the potatoes had been stewed along with the pork, which I've never encountered in Portugal, where the potatoes are fried separately and added, crisp, to the dish on the plate just before serving.

(Lulu in Portugese)

Lula.

Because of squidsdc's utter negligence in keeping us apprised of Nova Europa, I went to Kemp Mill Shopping Center today, only to find that the Portuguese restaurant is closed for lunch on weekends.

Across the parking lot was Kosher Pastry Oven...

What kind of lunch weekend business ya think they could get in a shopping center located in "Little Israel" :P

Sorry but Mr.S and I have plans to celebrate his birthday at Palena tomorrow night. We may get to Nova Europa yet with my parents as they do enjoy eating there! I hear the restaurant draws quite the early bird crowd...

What kind of lunch weekend business ya think they could get in a shopping center located in "Little Israel" :P

Sorry but Mr.S and I have plans to celebrate his birthday at Palena tomorrow night. We may get to Nova Europa yet with my parents as they do enjoy eating there! I hear the restaurant draws quite the early bird crowd...

We haven't been in a very long time (note that my original post was in 2005) so if anyone goes, let me know how it is.