Shangri-La, Indian-Nepalese in Downtown Bethesda

Bethesda has too many mediocre restaurants. Often (for lunch) it is hard to travel more than a couple of blocks to get some decent food at a decent price. Shangri-La is a recent addition to the Bethesda scene. Located near between East/West Hwy and Montgomery Ave., they offer very fresh, simple and organic Indian and Nepali Cuisine. Lunch has a wonderful buffet of both Vegetarian and meat options for $9.95 including a dessert. Dinner has a host of options including decent Tandoori, curries and Vindaloo. While most of my visits have been for lunch and the buffet, I will say the food is very fresh and good, the service excellent and the setting nice. My recent visit included naan, Tandoori chicken, butter chicken, lentils, salad, rice, free pickle, eggplant and curried cauliflower. While the buffet has limited options (8-10), the ones there are well done and refreshed often. Fresh bread is brought to the table and often I have asked for other breads which were delivered gratis. In you lunch in Bethesda, I highly recommend this establishment!

Shangri-La

7345-A Wisconsin Ave

Bethesda, MD 20814

301-656-4444

Menu: http://takeouttaxibethesda.dtsc.net/Menus.aspx

Shangri-La is owned and managed by the same people who have Ghar-e-Kabab in Silver Spring. They didn't keep the same name because they realized that, although the menus are the same, there could be some small variation in food. I've eaten in both and the food is virtually the same. The staff and management in both are warm and genuinely nice people.

I can't add anything to Scott's review, as his experience is parallels mine. Ghar-e-Kabab is easily my favorite Indian buffet, despite the limited number of items. Other than the tandoori chicken, almost everything else is changed daily.

We had an early pre-theater dinner with a party of 6 here last night and were very pleased with everything about this restaurant. The dining room is attractive and comfortable and service is very friendly and efficient. Because of our number we ordered a lot. Started with samosas and momo's. Samosas were nicely crispy/flaky and spicy and the momos were very tasty but not quite Tibetan-style as I remember. All came with tasty sauces. Then we had rice, a nice basket of mixed breads, raita, and 4 or 5 different curries. Standouts were a Nepali goat dish which I think was cooked in the clay oven and was delicious and chicken tikka which was nicely spiced and moist . The "soupier" dishes come in little braziers. Curries were all distinctly flavored and good. No room for dessert! In the evening, easy parking is available just around the corner in the County garage. But, Bethesda makes you pay until 10 pm. :rolleyes:

I've been here a few times in the past few months and all my visits have been excellent. I've tried the lamb biryani which was mind blowingly good, and on another visit a Nepalese kebab dish that I enjoyed. I definitely consider Shangri-la to be one of the few restaurants that are better than average in Bethesda. Great food and attentive service.

I've been here a few times in the past few months and all my visits have been excellent. I've tried the lamb biryani which was mind blowingly good, and on another visit a Nepalese kebab dish that I enjoyed. I definitely consider Shangri-la to be one of the few restaurants that are better than average in Bethesda. Great food and attentive service.

Try their homemade Kulfa next time you go - it may well be the best ice cream in Bethesda.