So Who Will Join the Obamas in the White House

Monica Bhide

I was at Art & Soul for dinner a few nights ago and the sweet Art Smith smiled when I asked him if he was going to the White House.... His name has been tossed around a lot as a potential candidate on news sites and by food-lovers I know.

I am not privvy to any real information here.. i am just speculating :lol::)

What is your guess? Who do you think will be cooking the next State Dinner?

:P:)

I read in WaPo that he's cooked for the Obamas several times.

Word is Cuisine Solutions of Alexandtria ( who already prepares food for air force 1, and is a pioneer in sous vide ) Actually, had chef Gerard Betholon at the Hyatt in Chicago (obama home base) all week feeding folks......

I really enjoyed Walter Scheib's book-White House Chef (11 years, 2 presidents, 1 kitchen) for the behind-the-scenes look at dining at the White House-logistics, politics, drama-it's a great read. Judging by the last chapters of the book, I think the current White House chef, Cristeta Comerford, might be staying, she sounds like she's got a handle on the job, as well as being flexible enough to adapt to a new regime.

I was listening to The Kojo Nnamdi show yesterday and they had Todd Kliman on as a guest talking about the president-elect and his influence on the DC Dining scene. He mentioned the rumor of Art Smith as well. Then someone called in and suggested that Barton Seaver might be a good candidate (with the sustainable fish thing and all..) I Most ridiculous idea I have heard in my life. I think Kliman had the same general consensus.

I heard an NPR feature with Rick Bayless--Topolobampo apparently is the Obamas' favorite restaurant in Chicago. Bayless reported that they are very adventurous eaters, always interested in trying something new. Bayless was noncommital when asked if he would come to the White House if Obama won. Seems unlikely, given his many ongoing enterprises, but wouldn't that be a trip?

Everything I hear about Obama makes me think he'd be a pain to cook for. All lo-cal and no fat and won't eat ice cream with his daughters. And look at the way the man drinks -- he made Hillary Clinton look like a good ol' boy and she was drinking Crown Fucking Royal, aka "the gayest whiskey on earth."

I love the dude, but I wouldn't want to cook for the health freak.

I love the dude, but I wouldn't want to cook for the health freak.

A couple weeks ago I was playing tennis against an excellent (and very wise) player. We're both right-handed, and I smacked a heavy-topspin forehand medium-deep and way out to his forehand and had him on the run out wide. I took a couple steps in because I knew he'd return it short, which he did - his defensive down-the-line return landed at the service line, and I hit a hard, slice backhand to his backhand and started waltzing into the net for my easy put-away volley. My approach shot was better than it needed to be: It landed within a foot of the baseline, and he was sprinting laterally and even a little backwards, and when he got to the ball, on the dead run, he somehow flicked his wrist and nailed it right down the line for a winner, and I just stood there with my mouth open. Then I dropped my racket in disbelief.

"Roger Federer couldn't hit that shot!" I screamed at him.

"He wouldn't have to," he said.

:lol: