Veal Rib Chop

edenman

Have very little experience cooking veal, decided to pick up one of these at WF on a whim, initial thinking about searing then throwing into a braise of turnip, carrot, onion. But it dawned on me that veal is supposed to be tender, and thus may not need the help of a braise in that area. Should I just sear and then finish with dry heat in the oven, and do the root veg braise on the side?

Do a little pan reduction sauce--saute chopped shallot in whatever fat is left in the pan the chops cooked in. Add white wine and deglaze. A bit of veal or chicken stock. Reduce. Add creme fraiche or cream. Throw in some chopped fresh herbs--tarragon, thyme, parsley, chives or any combination of the above. A little grated lemon zest and a few drops of lemon juice. Salt. Pepper. Heaven. Throw in some sauteed crimini mushrooms, or better yet chanterelles. Nirvana.

Thanks for the help, guys. Here's what I ended up doing:

Sauteed some guanciale in braising pan, when crispy, added minced onion. Soften, then add cubed turnip, carrot, more onion, chicken stock, sherry. Cover -> 350 oven. Sear chop in cast-iron skillet, transfer to oven to finish cooking. Make medium roux. When veg is done braising, strain liquid and add to roux, reduce. Plate goes veg, chop, a little round of mushroom/shallot duxelle i made a few days ago, and the sauce over all. Turned out decent, but I overcooked the chop slightly (158ish, was shooting for closer to 150) and undercooked the veg. Sauce was good, but I wish I'd made the second trip to the store for the cream instead of resorting to roux.

This is something I came up with back in 2001, and I don't even know that I've made it again. I did manage to write down what I did, though, so I'll paste it in. The original recipe I looked at for broiling the veal is here.

Veal Chops on a Bed of Wild Rice and Sausage

2 veal loin chops, about 1" thick

olive oil

fresh thyme leaves

mixed whole peppercorns, coarsely ground

1 (6 oz.) pkg. wild rice, cooked according to package directions

handful dried cherries

4 lg. Italian pork sausage links, removed from casing

1 yellow bell pepper, cut in strips

4 med. white mushrooms, chopped (or cremini)

2 cloves garlic, minced

chopped fresh parsley

Place veal chops in baking dish. Brush with oil, then sprinkle both sides with ground pepper and thyme. Let stand at room temperature about an hour. Preheat broiler. Transfer veal chops to broiler pan. Sprinkle with salt. Broil veal 6 inches from heat for about 6-7 minutes per side. Serve on bed of wild rice and sausage.

To make wild rice mixture: about 90 minutes before serving, cook wild rice according to package instructions. Near the end of cooking time, add cherries to saucepan with wild rice and replace lid. Break sausage up into small pieces and brown in small amount of olive oil in large skillet. Add peppers. mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is done and vegetables are soft. Add wild rice (drained of any remaining liquid) and cherries and cook a few more minutes. Top with chopped parsley and cook another minute. Spoon wild rice-sausage mixture onto two dinner plates and top each with a veal chop.

Veal technique adapted from Bon Appetit Feb 1999 (Epicurious).

A detailed rose-veal ribeye. Dry-aged 6 weeks. The Complexus, Spinalis and Longissimus Dorsi are separated to remove the sinew and any membranes. Given the lean nature of the animal, kidney fat is placed in between the muscles and the whole sewn shut. Fatback bards the outside and is garnished with lemon and orange zest.

7904051268_3a6e9eb368_z.jpg

Seared, roasted on squash, sweet corn and plum tomatoes then relieved of its decorative fatty girdle.

7940493062_92b6d77b38_z.jpg

A detailed rose-veal ribeye. Dry-aged 6 weeks. The Complexus, Spinalis and Longissimus Dorsi are separated to remove the sinew and any membranes. Given the lean nature of the animal, kidney fat is placed in between the muscles and the whole sewn shut. Fatback bards the outside and is gussied-up with lemon and orange zest.

7904051268_3a6e9eb368_z.jpg

Seared, roasted on squash, sweet corn and plum tomatoes then relieved of its decorative fatty girdle.

7940493062_92b6d77b38_z.jpg