Royal Dragon, Glatt Kosher Chinese in Randolph Hills Shopping Center in Rockville - Closed

Al Dente said:
I'm curious about the other restaurants over there. Glatt Chinese? Indian? Is any of it good?

The Glatt Chinese place (Royal Dragon) has been pretty bad the few times I've eaten there. (My brother is Orthodox and doesn't live in a community with a Kosher Chinese restaurant, so it's a big thing for him to get it when he's visiting me.) Not recommended unless you're Orthodox. Gloppy and tasteless.

I read a fascinating story about the history and Kosher duck scandal at this restaurant recently. It's in The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee. It's in the chapter on why Chinese food is the chosen food of the Chosen People. Highly, highly recommended reading. But not highly recommended eating.

Do stop in Koshermart for some of their handmade pita bread if you're over at Coaches, though. That pita bread definitely gets my blessing.

I haven't eaten there (and won't), but honestly, can anyone name a decent Glatt kosher Chinese restaurant? I've been to a couple in NY (no recollection of names), and they're all just bad. Right?

Many years ago, there was a place in the NYC Garment Center called Moishe Peking. My dad raved about it, and it was THE place to go for the people who kept kosher in the rag trade. He didn't keep kosher but I do remember him saying it was really good - in fact, you couldn't even tell it was kosher. That was a ringing endorsement for him.

I haven't eaten there (and won't), but honestly, can anyone name a decent Glatt kosher Chinese restaurant? I've been to a couple in NY (no recollection of names), and they're all just bad. Right?

I concur. When I lived in NY several years ago, I tried several kosher chinese places like China Shalom II (yes there is a #1), but never found any of them to be that great. However, some of the places were ok Americanized Chinese food on par with most of the non-kosher Americanized Chinese food places in most part of America. I mean lo mein or sesame chicken is only so good to begin with - but lots of Members of the Tribe and others like it alot nonetheless.