Bread and Brew, Dupont Circle - Good Beer Selection, Sandwiches, and Pizza On 20th and N Streets NW Next To Eli's - Closed

Saw your posts, good to see the interest. My name is Duncan, I will be working the bar. Bread and Brew is going to be a neighborhood dining and drinking restaurant and bar. The owner, Teri is an advocate of and uses a lot of organic & local products & earth friendly practices with bio-degradable to-go countainers. The menu includes pizza, sandwiches, salads and small plates to eat here or carry out. We have counter service upstairs and table service downstairs in 'the bar'. The 'Brew' in Bread and Brew refers to both great brews, coffee and beer. Although we don't have room to brew beer on premise we will strive to offer an interesting and ever changing selection of standard and craft beers. Sam Adams, Miller Lite, Sierra Nevada, Yeungling, Longhammer IPA and Bare Knuckle Stout are currently on tap and Bass, Stella, Clipper City, Oxford Organic Ale, Woodchuck Granny Smith Cider and Flying Dog are available in the bottle. The coffee is from Counter Culture. Great product, check out their website. We plan to open this week, come on by! Thanks again

Saw your posts, good to see the interest. My name is Duncan, I will be working the bar. Bread and Brew is going to be a neighborhood dining and drinking restaurant and bar. The owner, Teri is an advocate of and uses a lot of organic & local products & earth friendly practices with bio-degradable to-go countainers. The menu includes pizza, sandwiches, salads and small plates to eat here or carry out. We have counter service upstairs and table service downstairs in 'the bar'. The 'Brew' in Bread and Brew refers to both great brews, coffee and beer. Although we don't have room to brew beer on premise we will strive to offer an interesting and ever changing selection of standard and craft beers. Sam Adams, Miller Lite, Sierra Nevada, Yeungling, Longhammer IPA and Bare Knuckle Stout are currently on tap and Bass, Stella, Clipper City, Oxford Organic Ale, Woodchuck Granny Smith Cider and Flying Dog are available in the bottle. The coffee is from Counter Culture. Great product, check out their website. We plan to open this week, come on by! Thanks again

Welcome to the neighborhood! I live right across the street so I look forward to checking out the restaurant.

The downstairs bar is now open and regular food service should available for lunches, etc starting Tues or Wed. We offer free samples of our food in the bar until then!! Please come on down and say hi, we want to meet the neighbors. Thanks, Duncan

The downstairs bar is now open and regular food service should available for lunches, etc starting Tues or Wed. We offer free samples of our food in the bar until then!! Please come on down and say hi, we want to meet the neighbors. Thanks, Duncan

Hi Duncan. I'll be stopping by soon. Hope you guys can either circulate a sample menu or post one on your website soon. I'll be interested to see what you will be serving.

Quick update - I stopped in here a little while ago. Got a tasty cappuccino and the kitchen was humming along nicely with the staff preparing tons of food. They also have breakfast which is a big big plus.

Looking forward to the full operation when things take off next week!

I've had coffee here several times this past week during their soft opening and have been quite enamored of their cappuccino. It's tasty, not OVERBURNT coffee which is the real redeeming factor. The food looks really good but I have yet to try it and the prices are pretty solid too.

Obviously, service is a bit slow, but hey, it's their first week. I'm pumped on this new addition to the neighborhood.

I have heard great things about this place already (albeit anecdotal, second and third-hand). Can't wait to try it out. From looking at the website info, their "mission" is certainly commendable and earns them the benefit of the doubt in my mind.

I've had coffee here several times this past week during their soft opening and have been quite enamored of their cappuccino. It's tasty, not OVERBURNT coffee which is the real redeeming factor. The food looks really good but I have yet to try it and the prices are pretty solid too.

Obviously, service is a bit slow, but hey, it's their first week. I'm pumped on this new addition to the neighborhood.

I did go on the first day it was open (horrendous service confusion, but I'd never dock a place for issues before its grand opening), but you really think $7.50 for a turkey sandwich is a solid price?

I did go on the first day it was open (horrendous service confusion, but I'd never dock a place for issues before its grand opening), but you really think $7.50 for a turkey sandwich is a solid price?

I feel like that's just above average for the area. If I'm not mistaken, CF Folks charges roughly the same amount for a sandwich. Also, I had been referring to the breakfast prices that I noticed on the chalkboard, and I was not offended by them.

I feel like that's just above average for the area. If I'm not mistaken, CF Folks charges roughly the same amount for a sandwich. Also, I had been referring to the breakfast prices that I noticed on the chalkboard, and I was not offended by them.

Me neither. I had a tasty omelet last week...and the coffee was quite nice, I agree. Looking forward to trying out more of the menu now that they have opened. And sandwiches are only cheaper if you go to Jonathan's or Potbelly, but not by much at the former. Ever seen the prices at Au Bon Pain, for an inferior (IMO) product?

Me neither. I had a tasty omelet last week...and the coffee was quite nice, I agree. Looking forward to trying out more of the menu now that they have opened. And sandwiches are only cheaper if you go to Jonathan's or Potbelly, but not by much at the former. Ever seen the prices at Au Bon Pain, for an inferior (IMO) product?

You can get a substantially cheaper sandwich (with fresh roasted turkey, carved for you) at Lawson's. Or a Boar's Head sandwich at Fresh Meal for $5. I'm not saying CF Folks isn't overpriced, I'm just saying Bread & Brew is.

You can get a substantially cheaper sandwich (with fresh roasted turkey, carved for you) at Lawson's. Or a Boar's Head sandwich at Fresh Meal for $5. I'm not saying CF Folks isn't overpriced, I'm just saying Bread & Brew is.
Having eaten at several K street/Dupont corridor lunch places, I think $6.50 - $7.50 is now the average for a sandwich (agreeing with ladi kai lemoni -- heck, Greek Deli stuff starts at $7.25 right?). But for me, some of these sandwiches will last me for 2 meals. Plus, if the turkey carved is anything like the one I had tonight at their Grand Opening, then I think the thick, juicy, moist slices will be worth the money. I don't think a Boar's Head can be in the same category as this place, having eaten a few BH sandwiches, but that's my .02.

I think the owner, Teri, has a good heart opening a Green restaurant. All the plasticware and plates are environmentally biodegradable. Having met her wonderfully supportive family (thanks Gina!), I hope this place will succeed because all of them have Heart, with a capital H. Please keep Mama D (Teri's mom) in your thoughts and warmth.

According to Gina, Teri's sister, they use Counter Culture beans. There was heavy barista training too, from what I was told.

Visiting tonight was a bit like the atmosphere on the tv show Cheers. I hope it will be a place where everyone knows your name as soon as you go to the bar downstairs.

I forgot about Lawson's...but I don't know of their prices since it's in the opposite direction and I don't get up that way too often. Fresh Meal may be cheaper, but again, I wouldn't know since I almost never walk in there unless I absolutely have to. (Which is saying a lot since it is in my building.) It has to do with the disinfectant they use that is so off-putting and strong that it turns my nose and stomach even when I smell it coming upstairs from the garage.

Now that I think of it, I rarely order sandwiches, so who I am to talk?! :P I'll just go back in my cave now...

lately, the dirty golfer cocktail, which is probably overpriced at $9 but is a delicious mix of Firefly sweet tea vodka and lemonade. Wish it had the sugar rim like the bubble drop.

Interesting that they call it the "dirty golfer". I have seen it many places referred to as a "John Daly".

Interesting you posted about these drinks tonight [at Spider Kelley's] - I saw them being mixed (in Mason jars) for the first time ever this evening at Bread and Brew.

When you walk into Bread and Brew and see the quick-food line, it's no indication of the bar that awaits downstairs. The bar has a very credible selection of beers - I'd say perhaps even top 20-30 in the city - and the food (particularly a pizza and a salad) I saw arriving was better than what you might expect here. I haven't been to Breadsoda (Glover Park) in quite awhile now, but this seems to be their "Dupont Doppelgänger" (without pool tables, but with pizza oven).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Interesting you posted about these drinks tonight [at Spider Kelley's] - I saw them being mixed (in Mason jars) for the first time ever this evening at Bread and Brew.

When you walk into Bread and Brew and see the quick-food line, it's no indication of the bar that awaits downstairs. The bar has a very credible selection of beers - I'd say perhaps even top 20-30 in the city - and the food (particularly a pizza and a salad) I saw arriving was better than what you might expect here. I haven't been to Breadsoda (Glover Park) in quite awhile now, but this seems to be their "Dupont Doppelgänger" (without pool tables, but with pizza oven).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I hate to write back-to-back posts, but the downstairs bar at Bread and Brew remains an underrated hideaway for beer lovers. Last night was Trivia Night, and I enjoyed a Dogfish 90 Minute IPA with a credible Wild Mushroom pizza, made with really tasty, almost fresh-mozzarella-like fontina cheese. The crust wasn't my favorite style, but it wasn't bad either. Better still, they're serving a wonderful red wine by the glass: 2003 La Coccinelle de La Grolet CĂ´tes de Bourg, a biodynamic wine from the Bordeaux region that is 100% Merlot. Despite being 100% Merlot from such a ripe vintage (2003 is the year of the deadly heatwave in France, when many elderly citizens passed away in nursing homes because there was no air conditioning (there was never any need for air conditioning), and this torrid heat is reflected in the wines which are often made from overripe grapes). It is a vintage I normally avoid, but this had none of that "2003-ness" to it - for a humble "table Bordeaux," it was in great balance, and merely needed to be cooled down in the freezer for about ten minutes.

Cheers,

Rocks.

PoPville says the Green Bee Cafe, by the owners of Bread and Brew, has opened where Newton's Noodles was.

The Green Bee Cafe's website describes it as follows:

The GreenBee Café (previously Bread and Brew) would like to welcome you to our new location and reaffirm our commitment to providing your table with the very best foods of our region.