South Shore, MA

baczkowski

My in-laws have a place in Scituate and we head up there 2-3 times a year to visit. Scituate is a small fishing town that was historically a lower-priced (than the Cape) beach town with a very large Irish population. It's grown to be more of a year-round community as signaled by the arrival of a train to Boston, but it's still a small town with limited dining offerings. The fine dining establishment here is the Barker Tavern, which is quite charming and actually pretty good, though I find the popular Baked Stuff Lobster (the menu bragging that they use Ritz crackers) an abomination. There's a sub shop in the harbor called Maria's that doesn't use a single ingredient that seems to be local even in summer but carries about 40 years of nostalgia for residents and actually doesn't create a bad Italian sub.

Our trip for this year's holidays brought us probably our best meals in the South Shore, and we found the establishments in Hingham. The Square Cafe in Hingham's town center was beautifully decorated and served gorgeous and tasty food, including my Thai Basil mussels in lobster broth ($10) and my wife's Tuna Two Ways (seared and tartar $14); both are served on the lunch appetizer menu. The Scarlet Oak Tavern was appropriately named Best Comfort Food for the region south of Boston. The building has seen several incarnations over the years but this one seems to have staying power. I had a great hanger steak and frites ($21) and my wife had a tasty potatoe-crusted haddock ($18).

The best breakfast we've had in the area is at Arthur and Pat's in Marshfield. It's only open seasonally. One of the owners is also a sassy waitress, who supposedly was wooed to go on tour with and cook for Aerosmith* few years ago. Good tasty grease here.

Pax,

Brian

*My closest brush with celebrity was 2 Decembers ago when I hung out with Steven Tyler for 2+ hours. OK, so by "hung out" I really mean I happened to have sat next to Stevie during a showing of The Good Shepherd while he took about 8 phone calls during the movie. But he did seemingly follow us home in his yellow Hummer until after several miles...ok, whatever...But PM me if you want to know what's on his phone's screensaver.