Suet

legant

So it's August, which means it's time for me to make my Christmas Pudding. This is an old, old family recipe from my great-grandmother, and this year it will be served to her great-great-grandchild for the first time. (Well, in a manner of speaking--said child is not due into this world until November, so the serving mechanism will be breastmilk, but still.)

I've been able to manage most of the difficult ingredients. I have candied my own lemon & orange peel, and I have a mixed spice blend recipe that I've used with success in the past. But my trip to Brookville this afternoon for suet ended in defeat. They've come through for me twice in the past, but alas, no go this time.

Any leads on where I might be able to get this in (metro-accessible) DC? I'm thinking Eastern Market, but if anyone has a particular butcher they'd recommend ... (And I do mean metro-accessible; it's easier and less hassle for me to get to NYC or Philly than to, say, Tyson's.)

Also, if anyone needs candied peel, I have two jars of the stuff for a recipe that needs only two ounces, so if there are other pudding-makers out there who need some, I'd be happy to oblige.

1) You can find British foods at an Anglophilic (i.e. specializing in Brit foods) store in Arlington, on your right as you exit Claredon Metro stop and head to Whole Foods; Rodman's is also a pretty good source for things like Bird's custard mix. Dean and DeLuca's carries mostly lollies.

2) The Washington Post did a story more than a couple of years ago, detailing the elaborate process a guy (or two) went through each year while preparing authentic Christmas puddings. It might give sources for suet.

3) Talk to beef/bison/buffalo guys at the farmers market if you don't have a local butcher. I am pretty sure there is an established thread somewhere here on local butchers.

But my trip to Brookville this afternoon for suet ended in defeat. They've come through for me twice in the past, but alas, no go this time.

Any leads on where I might be able to get this in (metro-accessible) DC? I'm thinking Eastern Market, but if anyone has a particular butcher they'd recommend ... (And I do mean metro-accessible; it's easier and less hassle for me to get to NYC or Philly than to, say, Tyson's.)

If Metro accessibility is your most important critereon, then Eastern Market (Union Meats) is your best bet. You can probably order it from them--dropping in on them and expecting them to have kidney suet may be a bit much to expect.

If this is an important enough errand to, say, take a taxi or ask a friend to drive you, you might consider contacting Pam (who used to be at Brookville Market) at her new location-- Wagshall's in Spring Valley. Or The Organic Butcher of McLean, and ordering from either of them.

Just to throw this out there-in Del Ray, Steve at Let's Meat on the Avenue should be able to supply this for you. He's a UK expat and ever since he's opened, he's offered kidney suet for bakers. You could take the metro to Braddock, then either walk or take a bus up Mt. Vernon Ave. to get to his store. If this is accessible for you, give him a call.