Sips Cafe, Van Ness - Closed.

Well, at least that's what the sign has promised for a few months running!

What I think will be the second location (correct me if I'm wrong - I couldn't find a web site, etc.) is set to open just north of the Van Ness/UDC metro stop. It's near the car wash at Albemarle and Connecticut, Delhi Dhaba, Pier One, etc. The other location I know of can be found at G Street near 12th NW.

Does anyone have the scoop? The only other coffee shop within walking distance is Sirius. That place is ok, but not great.

Picture it:

Hot Saturday morning. Standing outside the car wash waiting for BF's filthy car. Parents due to arrive in town around noon. I really need coffee.

Alas, stupid Sips still hasn't opened!! I peered (or attempted to peer) in the windows, still papered with logoed "coming soon" messages or some other nonsense.

Lies!

This is the third week that it's been open. Huge variety of teas. I tried the dragonfruit and it was pretty good. Last time I spoke to them, they were still trying to choose a pastry vendor. They have wi-fi, but I'm not sure if it's free. They do smoothies, and have a nice selection of chocolate bars and other sweet treats. Hidden away, it hasn't looked all that busy. But the folks were very friendly while I hemmed and hawed and were willing to answer my questions. It is physically connected to Zips cleaners.

How much seating is there? Is it the type of place for lingering and loitering (unlike the downtown location)?

I don't remember any comfy looking seating, but don't quote me on that. It's a really small space - smaller than Naan and Beyond on L St. But given the fact that the location isn't exactly the hottest it may not be so challenging to get a seat. Unless there's a lot of UDC traffic.

I had a surprisingly really good cup of hot chocolate this morning. It was definitely on the sweet side, and was better than you average cup of hot chocolate, but I don't know what made it so good. Maybe a little vanilla? I'm pretty sure it wasn't cinnamon. Whatever it was it was good!

The blueberry muffin however, sucked some serious ventworms.