Italy Pizza DC, Family-Owned Pizza in Shaw - Closed

I passed by the somewhat strangely named Italy Pizza DC on Florida Avenue between 6th and 7th on Sunday, and decided to give it a try. In the U-Street area where I live there are no good pizza delivery options, so I'll take anything that's even decent...but I have to say, this place is pretty good. Don't let the name fool you, though, it's American style pizza. I got a pepperoni, onion, and roasted garlic pie delivered last night and was really pleased with it. Good crust, nice cornmeal crunch on the crust, good quality ingredients. The best feature- it was loaded with whole cloves of delicious, roasted garlic.

Overall I'd say the pizza is maybe one level below nearby Pete's and Red Rocks in Columbia Heights, but hey, neither of those places deliver. Anyone else try it yet?

I passed by the somewhat strangely named Italy Pizza DC on Florida Avenue between 6th and 7th on Sunday, and decided to give it a try. In the U-Street area where I live there are no good pizza delivery options, so I'll take anything that's even decent...but I have to say, this place is pretty good. Don't let the name fool you, though, it's American style pizza. I got a pepperoni, onion, and roasted garlic pie delivered last night and was really pleased with it. Good crust, nice cornmeal crunch on the crust, good quality ingredients. The best feature- it was loaded with whole cloves of delicious, roasted garlic.

Overall I'd say the pizza is maybe one level below nearby Pete's and Red Rocks in Columbia Heights, but hey, neither of those places deliver. Anyone else try it yet?

Seriously, there are no good delivery options for pizza in the Dupont area. Aberto's takes forever, cuts the pizza weirdly, and isn't all that good, I think. I tried this place after seeing it on this board, and I'd say it's solid for delivery, but not great. The first time, it took over an hour to get to us, and I forgot to ask for thin crust. It was average. The toppings were very good, the crust solid, but the sauce was a bit sweet.

The second time I went with a thin crust margherita, which was better. I'd agree with the above that it is one step below Pete's, a couple below Red Rocks and 2 Amys, but better than any of the other delivery options out there.