Duck Confit

acgator

Any locations for recommended for buying duck confit? I feel like cooking it myself could be a complete disaster.

D'Artagnan duck confit is for sale at numerous locations: Arrowine, Balducci's, Wegman's, Dean and Deluca. I'm sure that others can suggest more places.

Any locations for recommended for buying duck confit? I feel like cooking it myself could be a complete disaster.
Actually, it's really really easy to do. It requires very little kitchen skill, but it does take some time.

/weeps tears of pride/ I love that you even considered it....you've come so far in four years. Now we just have to get you out of Lauriel Plaza. Make it yourself. Think how it will impress the women.

You can't screw it up and I'll help you find the provisions if you want.

For me the most intimidating part, mostly for monetary reasons, was the need for duck fat.

That is, until I read this:

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2009/03...-for-lunch.html

OLIVE OIL works just as well!!!

Friends don't let friends think poaching in olive oil is the same. Duck fat adds flavor and has a unique combination of saturated and unsaturated fats that has an effect on the texture and ultimate flavor of the meat.

I salt my meat to be confitted for less than 24 hours so as not to wind up with too salty a result.

What's-her-name (Jill?) from Cheesetique has been known to rustle up fat and thighs at a reasonable price. It's also available on line, along with thighs, from Bella Bella.

Dean ("We're number 2! We're number 2!"), do you add other flavoring to your legs and, if so, does the short salt time affect the ability of other flavors (thyme, garlic, what-have-you) to penetrate the meat?

If you're like me and have no place to store a gallon of duck fat, try Paula Wolfert's method: cook the duck legs in vacuum sealed bags submerged in water (sorry, I mean 'sous-vide' them :rolleyes: ). They confit in their own fat. Best part is there isn't a single pot or utensil to clean. You just need to figure out how to keep the water at 180 (keeping my oven at 225 works well for me)