First Down, Owner Ramesh Chopra's Sports Bar in the Former Buffalo D's Space in Ballston

Buffalo D's has changed names, if not ownership - now it's called something like "Jump Ball" or "Match Point" or something like that. Anyone know if it's an ownership change or just a facelift? Regardless, the new name is better, even if I can't quite remember what it is (noticed it driving by).

Haven't tried the new incarnation (First Down) yet, but did notice the new paint job (bright green) in the otherwise drab block. A quick glance at the menu in the window shows typical bar food but a wide variety of wings (bone-in and boneless.) They also advertised delivery (for a fee) with $15+ orders.

I have never been here, but I see it is ranked above SER in the Dining Guide.  Is that a statement about First Down, or about SER?

Both, relative to each other. Specifically to your question, after dining at SER, I moved it down as far as I justifiably could - meh, it's probably a little too low: I'm going to fix that right now.

And for the record, my jaw dropped to the floor when I read David Hagedorn's review in Arlington Magazine.

Both, relative to each other. Specifically to your question, after dining at SER, I moved it down as far as I justifiably could - meh, it's probably a little too low: I'm going to fix that right now.

And for the record, my jaw dropped to the floor when I read David Hagedorn's review in Arlington Magazine.

That review is the polar opposite of every experience of every person I know who has eaten there.  I went once for drinks and appetizers with friends and the best comment i could muster was meh.

That review is the polar opposite of every experience of every person I know who has eaten there.  I went once for drinks and appetizers with friends and the best comment i could muster was meh.

You're talking about SER, right? Because I went to First Down Sports Bar this evening and it was even below "meh." Oh, the tri-tip flatbread with mozzarella, green peppers, and onions was perfectly fine, but that was the only thing on the menu I dared order. Out of the fifteen-or-so beers, I couldn't find a single one I thought was even "very good," so I ended up watching The Game drinking swill.

FirstDownSportsBarMenu20160410.pdf

As for the SER review, well, you saw what I had to say about it.

• Like 1

As for the SER review, well, you saw what I had to say about it. 

On the SER thread or on DCDining? Was just wondering because I just ate their recently and it didn't seem to be nearly as good as it was before (SER) and I was wondering if it was an off night or....

I would venture to guess that no one goes to First Down for the food, they go for the dive bar appeal.

On 4/11/2016 at 3:41 PM, ktmoomau said:

On the SER thread or on DCDining? Was just wondering because I just ate their recently and it didn't seem to be nearly as good as it was before (SER) and I was wondering if it was an off night or....

I would venture to guess that no one goes to First Down for the food, they go for the dive bar appeal.  

Up above.