Bayou Bakery, Pastry Chef David Guas In Courthouse - Capitol Hill Location is Closed

kneelconqueso said:

well, sadly, it looks like murky is closing either way. according to their website, they are moving to chinatown and opening up 'wrecking ball coffee' and the owners of liberty tavern will be taking over the space, renovating, and opening a coffee shop in the old murky space in clarendon.

i hope that the new owners will keep the same sort of ambience. i love liberty tavern's food and service, but if they duplicate that same decor and ambience, its going to ruin it.

also, i while i hope this turns out to be an april fools day joke, i sincerly doubt it is. nbc 4 has picked up the story and claims it is not a joke. sad.

http://www.murkycoffee.com/2009/04/letter-...-customers.html

Definitely not a joke.

I am 99.9% sure that they will not keep the Murky "ambience".

< Riddle me this, Batman: If the rise in rent makes it financially not viable for Murky to maintain a coffee shop in this location, how can the Liberty folks afford to move in, renovate the space, and open another coffee shop?>

it's called economic stimulus/SBA loans :rolleyes:

I love anything that brings a sense of the magic that is New Orleans... beignets, cafe du monde, (maybe a frozen daiquiri machine?!?! haha)

Off-topic, but I hear Englert is opening a po-boy shop at Potomac Ave early next year.

Ok I am now at "Liberty" to spill my guts:

Bayou Bakery will be applying for an alcohol license -- at least beer and wine (but when I expressed my desire for someplace that serves a good pousse cafe -- Steve said he would consider having the appropriate liquors available). The downstairs will be the coffee ++ bar and where the goodies are served. The upstairs wil probably be a store where coffee making gadgets of all kinds, as well as high quality coffees will be purveyed.

It is my understanding that Dave Guas' baked goods will be served also at Liberty and perhaps other establishments that will be appearing in the neighborhood soon...stay tuned.

I was lucky enough to have David Guas's cupcakes at my baby shower this past weekend - he is a friend of my friend who hosted. Red velvet and lemon. They were as good as Georgetown Cupcake. I am looking forward to tasting more of those fabulous baked goods.

And I'm still munching on the pralines he made. YUM.

This looks great. A tremendous addition to the neighborhood. Bayou Bakery at Metrocurean

Bayou Bakery debuted at the Taste of Arlington this past Sunday and at around 3:45pm, the line was pretty long, despite it being a cold afternoon. Since the festival began at 12noon and ended at 5pm, I hated to think how the line was before that time, when the weather was also a bit warmer. The syrups available at the stand were also those featured in the blog. Not having had the Wedding Cake syrup before, it was a foreign flavor to me. The snowball machine was the coolest part of the booth, though.

The WashPost reports that David Guas has parted ways with the Liberty Tavern owners so Bayou Bakery will no longer be opening in the old Murky location. I was really looking forward to this new place. It sounded like it was going to have some fun foods. :rolleyes:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was so excited about Bayou Bakery. That is so so sad. Darn it, darn it. I even had friends eagerly awaiting it, as well. It would have been great. I hope they do something else cool with it.

Prior to word that Bayou Bakery would not be opening, we noticed a Stop Work order pasted to the building's windows when walking by. The order was dated 16 July, I believe, and right next to another notice regarding a county hearing the day before. Memory fails me but I think it had something to do with the historic nature of the property. Aren't the Liberty Tavern people still planning to put something in there, if not Bayou, and does anyone know the story behind this?

Memory fails me but I think it had something to do with the historic nature of the property.

The property address is 3211 Wilson Boulevard and the building is listed as the Clarendon Citizen's Hall (built 1921) on the Arlington Historic Local District Registry.

The historic character of these districts is maintained through a design review process, which requires the review of any exterior modifications, new construction or demolition within district boundaries.

Turn to page 48 of the Clarendon Sector Plan for a picture of the Clarendon Citizen's Hall in its heyday.

I too was disappointed that the Liberty-Dave Guas partnership fell apart, as I was looking forward to having a spot on my rotation where I could go to satisfy the late night munchy/caffein crave. I asked Steve Fedorchak what happened. As reported, it was pretty much the fact that the meeting of the minds was not all it seemed to be when they entered into the partnership, and as with many such deals in many forms of business they decided to end it before it got too far along. Anyway, Steve said the concept would be more of a traditional coffeshop + bar serving light food that would be prepared at Liberty. They still hope to open in September, but the fact that that building is listed as "Historical" by Arlington Co. means that there are more bureaucratic traps that need to be run in order to carry out renovations, hence more chance for delay.

Anyway, Steve said the concept would be more of a traditional coffeshop + bar serving light food that would be prepared at Liberty.

Great news! With Murky gone, Clarendon (or, at least this Clarendon resident) needs a traditional coffee shop in the neighborhood. I'm sure the fine group at Liberty Tavern will do it right.

Great news! With Murky gone, Clarendon (or, at least this Clarendon resident) needs a traditional coffee shop in the neighborhood. I'm sure the fine group at Liberty Tavern will do it right.

And their breads and other baked goods are darned good so they should be able to have some good stuff.

Alison Crist* will be the general manager of the coffee shop formerly known as the Bayou Bakery. The Liberty gang tells me that they hope to open soon, but are still running the various bureaucratic traps to make it happen. They won't disclose the name their establishment will open under, however, so I propose a contest: Name that coffee shop (and bar too :P ). In keeping with the historical/Virginia/founding fathers theme, I have suggested Constitutional Coffee, and I get paid for ideas like that. :(

*see threads on Liberty & Willow

I have suggested Constitutional Coffee, and I get paid for ideas like that. :(

This is all well-and-dandy, until you recall the radio-show segment called "This Constitutional Moment" that was broadcast from time-to-time by a certain unnamed, immensely talented, uproariously funny, but ultimately, unacceptably controversial host.

Alison Crist* will be the general manager of the coffee shop formerly known as the Bayou Bakery. The Liberty gang tells me that they hope to open soon, but are still running the various bureaucratic traps to make it happen. They won't disclose the name their establishment will open under, however, so I propose a contest: Name that coffee shop (and bar too :P ). In keeping with the historical/Virginia/founding fathers theme, I have suggested Constitutional Coffee, and I get paid for ideas like that. :(

*see threads on Liberty & Willow

No offense, but I don't know about Constitutional Coffee it makes me think it is off Constitution Ave or in Capitol Hill. Because of proximity to Mason I was thinking "The Library Coffee Shop and Bakery" but that may promote lingerers, which may not be wanted. The Go Remy in me of course wanted "Clizzle Dizzle Coffee." Then I was thinking "Wilson Brews and Bakes."

This is all well-and-dandy, until you recall the radio-show segment called "This Constitutional Moment" that was broadcast from time-to-time by a certain unnamed, immensely talented, uproariously funny, but ultimately, unacceptably controversial host.

Perhaps they will feature that special coffee, which some connosieures insist is the very best in the world, made from beans grown in Vietnam that have already been "processed" by passing through the digestive tract of a monkey .

Perhaps they will feature that special coffee, which some connosieures insist is the very best in the world, made from beans grown in Vietnam that have already been "processed" by passing through the digestive tract of a monkey .

Reading your post, I couldn't help thinking about recent reports about "cat poop coffee," which is apparently coffee beans that have passed through the digestive tracts of civets in South Asia.

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/09/16/florida-coffee-shop-to-sell-cat-poop-coffee/#

I really hope this isn't going to be a big trend...

I chatted briefly with David Guas on Saturday, before a food demo* he gave at The Butcher Block in Old Town Alexandria. He told me that his new place will be open from morning until late evening, and will have a variety of savory dishes, sandwiches, small plates, gumbo, etc. as well as desserts, pastries and coffee.

*banana pudding and lemon icebox pie, recipes from his cookbook DamGoodSweet.

Stopped by Bayou Bakery at Courthouse early this morning after seeing on their Facebook page that David Guas had gotten his occupancy permit yesterday. The brown paper was off the windows, and he was behind the counter getting things ready for business. The space looks great, with little touches of New Orleans here and there on the walls and in the windows.

Hopefully he will have the doors open sometime today or tomorrow morning. The blackboard behind the counter said you get 3 beignets for 3 dollars. I am really looking forward to breakfast tomorrow!

TSchaad

It was open today at lunch. I had a muffaletta (spelled here "muff-a-lotta") and it compared well to the one at the Italian Store (which I must confess is the only other version of a muffaletta I have ever had*). First, it is not as ginormous as the one at the Italian Store, so I was actually able to eat the whole sandwich. More is not always better in my book. Second, they heat the sandwich, which softens the cheese, crisps up the top of the roll a bit, and brings out some more flavor from the sesame seeds. The staff was extremely friendly and working very hard "to make sure everything is just exactly right," as Bob Weir would say. It looks like they are off to a good start.

* I know; I need to get out more.

I called and talked with David Guas tonight. They're "open without really being open," and it's more for test meals than anything else. Do not just show up without calling first; expect a full opening sometime early next week, perhaps Tuesday.

Cheers,

Rocks

P.S. And by the way, congratulations, David! :)

I live just down the block so can serve as eyes and ears here. Looks like they will be open 7am to 9pm tomorrow. I rolled through en route to the farmer market first thing saturday morning. They were open with a limited menu and were not actually accepting any money (in lieu of donations to a local non-profit) , so everything was on the house!

The interior is just awesome. Really individual vibe and cozy as hell. Staff was very friendly, very gracious. This feels like a neighborhood joint in the best way.

I had a cappuccino and an order of beignets. cappa was excellent but could have been a bit hotter temperature-wise in my opinion. beignets were spot on. I've had them only a few times as a kid and this brought me back. consistency was on point - the slightest crisp on the outside, warm and doughy inside but not raw.

Breakfast menu looks dangerous - between coffee and a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit, it's gonna be hard not to stop here on the way to the metro in the morning! Lunch menu was small but intriguing. Just a few sandwiches and salads and two soups. A blackened turkey with smoked gouda, arugula and dijoinaise sounded really yummy. Curious what kind of bread these are served on - might be worth adding that detail to the menu. Everything seems pretty priced to move, especially compared to what you pay at Starbucks or Cosi which are equidistant. Sandwiches were about $6 i think?

I'm eager to sample the menu. Full line of Abita beers is a nice touch too.

I've now made two stops at Bayou - saturday morning for breakfast, and today to pick up some takeout for lunch.

Saturday breakfast was French Press Chicory Coffee, which was used to wash down beignets and a fresh baked biscuit. Everything was terrific. The beignets were what you hope for - warm pillows of dough with a slightly crisp exterior yeilding to a pillowy soft center, covered in powerded sugar. The biscuit was a revelation - perfectly baked, with a lightness you don't normally get at resturants around here. I put some butter and honey on mine and it was perfect. If David ever decides to offer sausage gravy as a biscuit topping for breakfast, there could be lines around the block!

Lunch today was something of a compromise. I was planning on picking up a Muffaletta and had been asked to bring back some beignets and Gumbo by a coworker. When I arrived (at 11:00 on the dot) They had already run out of prepped dough to make the beignets, and would not have any more until around noon. I placed my order for the mufaletta and gumbo, and added a couple of pralines for my friend as a substitute for the beignets.

We've just finished our respective lunches, and everthing was a hit. My friend was especially impressed by the gumbo, saying it was better than anything she had had the last time she was in New Orleans. I am really looking forward to exploring the rest of Bayou"s menu over the next few months.

From Bayou Bakery's Facebook page:

At Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery, we pride ourselves in the quality homemade ingredients that we diligently prepare from scratch the night before, from the roast beef and blackened turkey to the French bread and olive salad. As much as we’d like to, we simply do not have the manpower to meet the overwhelmingly positive demand and it would be against our standards to compromise our high quality for store-bought ingredients. We thank you for your patience as we continue to work efficiently with our provided resources to deliver the tastes of Bayou Bakery. For the remainder of the week [Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday] we will be open for breakfast and lunch; however, we will CLOSE AT 5 P.M. to restructure a system to execute our ingredients for our deserving guests. We cannot express our gratitude enough for your support and enthusiasm during our debut the past 2 days. Your satisfaction remains a top priority and we will do everything we can to reward your patience and support without sacrificing the quality we embrace. Thank you, David Guas

Give them a break this week - they've been overwhelmed. I snuck in for coffee and a sausage and cheese biscuit on Saturday morning the farmer's market, both of which were excellent. Coffee is french pressed, so takes a little while, but is well worth the wait. I had hoped to get in for lunch but they had closed temporarily yesterday afternoon. I'm just going to be patient since they are only a block from my office - very excited to have such a nice place so close by!

Give them a break this week - they've been overwhelmed. I snuck in for coffee and a sausage and cheese biscuit on Saturday morning the farmer's market, both of which were excellent. Coffee is french pressed, so takes a little while, but is well worth the wait. I had hoped to get in for lunch but they had closed temporarily yesterday afternoon. I'm just going to be patient since they are only a block from my office - very excited to have such a nice place so close by!

They were getting slammed yesterday at lunch. By a few minutes after noon, the line to order went past the front doors and snaked most of the way back through the seating area. They were handling the onslaught with good cheer, I thought. I guess it eventually caught up with them, however, if they had to close temporarily. It should even out in due course.

BTW, I rather enjoyed the "creole pilgrim" of shaved blackened turkey, arugula, smoked gouda, and dijonaise. Next time I am going in for the gumbo.

My wife and I also came by for lunch yesterday; I couldn't tell if people were prying the doors open after the owner (I believe) had locked them when ingredients started to run out or if customers were sneaking in after satiated people left. Their opening day was like a zombie movie, so that's a good sign, right? Hell, they ran out of gumbo.

I can't compare what we had to New Orleans standard, as I've never been. Almost everything was excellent, so even if the cuisine is new to you this is worth trying. The only complaint would be some of the greens in my wife's salad were tired, but the chilled gulf shrimp that came on the side were perfectly done.

My muffalotta (their spelling, I think) was filling without being overwhelming (shot it through with the red crystal hot sauce for spice) and put together well. The beignets are going to be problematic, as multiple customers had powdered sugar spots on their work clothes. They were warm (slightly underdone/doughy in the middle, which I prefer) and I have no idea why no one is filling them with nutella or raspberry jam or lesser doughnuts. I would eat a beignet stuffed with a krispy kreme, why hasn't this happened?

The decor is better than Courthouse deserves- old shutters atop the bar, a comfy pair of armchairs in the corner, an outboard motor hung on the wall with a bucket under it. The menu said the evening hours would bring a revolving set of entrees and we both agreed that we would come back to see what that would mean.

I stopped in at 8am today as Bayou opened. The French Press Coffee and Bacon Biscuit were a great start to the day, and I got to see a sign crew replacing the Camille's sign outside with a proper Bayou Bakery one. Should be easy for everyone to find now!

TSchaad

Went twice over the break this week for breakfast. Tried both a sausage and bacon egg/cheese biscuit. The biscuit is awesome, although I maintain there are temperature issues with this sandwich. The egg is a pre-cooked mold (fresh or frozen I have no idea) and simply does not get hot enough in the time it takes to melt the cheese and warm the biscuit.

I like my food pretty hot, but this arrives lukewarm and is nearly cold by the time you finish it, in my two experiences. I could just be an outlier, but hope they can fix this because it's a great morning bite otherwise.

Fresh OJ was delicious the first morning and not so great the next day - tasted like the oranges were just bad - slightly bitter. Either way it's nice to see fresh OJ for just 2 bucks. In general I think everything very well priced here.

Probably going to check it for lunch today, so will report back on that!

The decor is so cute, but I am from the South, so I'm probably a bit biased. We had the cafe au lait and it was very good!

I like the little signs they give you with New Orleans street names, it's definitely more personal than a number from Corner Bakery.

I saw a little Tapster of Abita in the back and an older gentleman sipping one and propping his feet up while watching a football game.

The overall ambiance feels like your hanging out at a friend's house, not a coffee shop.

Everyone should let them iron out the little kinks that are bumps with any new place.

I'm hoping with everyone's support that they will be here for a long time.

Have decided to whim over to the Bayou as I was in Georgetown. I am relying on their Facebook post that they are open. Will post my thoughts later.

Eta Um. Wow! The gumbo is perfection in a cup. If anything at $4 a pop I suspect some will order two for dinner. As blasphamos as it sounds the chopped salad is fantastic! Oven roasted tomatoes and pickled turnips add a unique twist to the yummy bacon and blue cheese. The pimento cheese was good if you like pimento cheese.

The beignets should be illegal.

Home from work early today, but still late for lunch, I got off the metro wondering what I should eat that would make me happy and take away the chill. Almost headed for pho when I remembered this place was open. Gumbo seemed just the ticket. It was very good - rich and well seasoned, but not too spicy (I would have preferred a bit more kick). For 4 bucks it more than did the trick and made me look forward to trying more from the menu. I hope they start posting the nightly dinner special online.

Spacewise, it is very inviting. I like that it has a blend of tables and a lounging area. For days when I work from home, I can definitely see bringing some reading and enjoying a drink and a treat on the couch. This will also be fantastic pre or post farmers' market.

Hit Bayou today for a snack. Nitpick: It should probably say "Courthouse" in the title of the thread, not "Clarendon". :)

Unfortunately I hit too late for lunch type stuff (dammit!) and too early to want anything else. I grabbed some milk ($1.75 for whole or skim, $2 for chocolate) which was good, but expensive for how much I got, a large French press coffee ($4.25, well worth it!), and a chocolate chip cookie (nom nom nom gone, forgot how much it was).

I need to get in there for breakfast, definitely! Though I have to admit - it might've been around 3 PM, but I really wanted beignets or biscuits.

I need to get in there for breakfast, definitely! Though I have to admit - it might've been around 3 PM, but I really wanted beignets or biscuits.

They were making them to order when I left around 2:30 yesterday. They are on both the breakfast and the sweets (11 a.m. to close) menus. But I agree, a biscuit in the afternoon would be a great little snack.

and a chocolate chip cookie (nom nom nom gone, forgot how much it was)

The on-line menu says it is a reasonable $1.50, which may no longer be correct since the last time I was there the gumbo and soup prices have changed from what is on-line. I think there is now only one size gumbo for $4.00 and one size butternut squash for $3.00 (which is very good, btw).

BTW, say hi next time! Couldn't get your attention...

:)

I thought that was you - and that you were engrossed in your reading :) (agree about Courthouse in the header of the thread - ETA: fixed!)

Porkorn is NOMNOMNOM! Salty from the Alan Benton bacon and crunchy from the peanuts and just plain good from the caramel coating!