Make or Buy

NotQuickDraw

I saw this article, and it got me thinking, in this economy, will people try to save money by making things rather than buying? Homemade always seems to cost us more!

http://www.slate.com/id/2216611/

She should have added some xanthan or guar gum to her fresh cheese and it would have had more of the texture of Philly cream cheese. But seriously, just weighing the money spent on commercial vs. homemade leaves out a major piece of the calculation: if you enjoy doing things in the kitchen, the pleasure in the experience and the satisfaction with the finished product (one hopes) are priceless.

I one time figured out how much a quart of my homemade ice cream costs. Like eight bucks or something.

On the other hand, it beats the shit out of every other ice cream I've ever eaten, including Berthillon in Paris. Except Heather's.

Be a bit of an irony -- "I was feeling poor, so I had to substitute Haagen Dazs."

Using superior ingredients, labor and time can make some things more expensive and time consuming, but alas, worth my while. Making baked goods with great butter and/or chocolate comes to mind. For my favorite chocolate chip cookies, I sometimes skip the Nestle's morsels, and use an excellent chocolate-and it does make a difference.

On the other hand, while I'd like to try my hand at making hot and sour soup, I think about how easy and cheap it is to just pick up a quart up the road, then get a box of Sweetzle's ginger snaps at the dollar store next door. Can't make a box of cookies for $1 :rolleyes:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The super-premium ice cream shop in Paris that I know of, on Ile de Saint Louis, is called Berthillon. You mentioned Bethaud's - is there a better place than Berthillon, or did you mistake the name?

The super-premium ice cream shop in Paris that I know of, on Ile de Saint Louis, is called Berthillon. You mentioned Bethaud's - is there a better place than Berthillon, or did you mistake the name?

There's no typo in my post...re-read it. :rolleyes:

How about making your own replacement parts for kitchen equipment?

After two decades of use, the rubber O-ring sealing thing on my blender finally disintegrated, so I picked up a replacement at Sur la Table for a buck.

That was five years ago and apparently they don't carry them anymore. Hill's Kitchen stocks them, but for two brands that are not my own.*

I don't want to spend 6-9 dollars for some online business to handle and ship one of these silly little rubber parts, especially since I replaced my wonderful old reliable blender (unintentionally) w something wretched and cheap that will get tossed asap.

So, anyone know where I can buy a little bit of the same kind/comparable rubber/like substance to cut out a new ring?

*Not compatible, I was told, though I will bring my damaged one in to see if the pair at the store might be modified to suit.

How about making your own replacement parts for kitchen equipment?

After two decades of use, the rubber O-ring sealing thing on my blender finally disintegrated, so I picked up a replacement at Sur la Table for a buck.

That was five years ago and apparently they don't carry them anymore. Hill's Kitchen stocks them, but for two brands that are not my own.*

I don't want to spend 6-9 dollars for some online business to handle and ship one of these silly little rubber parts, especially since I replaced my wonderful old reliable blender (unintentionally) w something wretched and cheap that will get tossed asap.

So, anyone know where I can buy a little bit of the same kind/comparable rubber/like substance to cut out a new ring?

*Not compatible, I was told, though I will bring my damaged one in to see if the pair at the store might be modified to suit.

You can check local hardware stores that may have a decent selection of rubber o-rings.