Timberlake's, North Dupont Circle - Closed.

Gotta say that even though I've bee working four doors down from Timberlakes for almost ten years, I've been tempted to darken their door very few times. Indeed, I've closed it down on Saturday nights with a couple of local somms more times than I've hit it for lunch or dinner. Very little to recommend it.

On the other hand, it is a proper "bar bar" (as opposed to "fern bar" or "singles bar" or "hipster bar") and, as such, one of an endangered species and I will be sad to see it go. Maybe I'll wander in tomorrow for a bacon cheeseburger and a beer -- lunch of champions.

It seems not everyone agrees whether Timberlake's is or isn't DIVEY.
:rolleyes: I had totally forgotten that.

Timberlakes isn't a dive, really. Waitman is right (as always) that it is a proper "bar bar." It's good for drinks, and maybe a burger if you're starving. I'll be sorry to see it go, especially if it gets replaced with another overhyped lounge serving $10 gin & tonics.

Scary: Timberlake's has been in business for 31 years, and I remember when it opened. A (very nice) guy I had known in high school who tended bar at the Childe Harold moved to Timberlake's as manager, I seem to recall. Nothing has really been the same since the Ben Bow closed, though. Now that was a "bar bar", and, yes, sadly, hardly any such establishments remain, at least in Washington. My impression is they still have them in New York. I had a drink in one on Eighth Avenue the last time I visited Manhattan about three years ago.

First the Childe Harold, now Timberlakes. This is sad news. All the good old bars along the main drag in Dupont are going away :D

What's next to go, the Big Hunt?

The rumors of Timberlake's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Dan and crew were going strong last night, complete with the obligatory Saturday night bar brawl.

The rumors of Timberlake's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Dan and crew were going strong last night, complete with the obligatory Saturday night bar brawl.

Timberlake's will remain open in the evenings until July 1st. For the rest of June, they're offering very limited lunch service, so make sure to call first.

IMHO there is an opportunity for a place to stay open to 5 AM. There is this largish after bar crowd that will go to a place with decent food/ and drinks into the wee hours of the evening when sane people have gone home. Its often a bar business crowd and they spend well while not being too demanding. But in any city there is only so much opportunity, so IMHO you have to be better than anyone else.

When Bistrot du Coin closed for the night, and you had to move over to Timberlake's ... my goodness those were desperate times.