Element on Main (Formerly Element and Apartment 2G), Front Royal

There is a wonderful little Bistro in Front Royal, Va. No one was more surprised to find it there than I on a weekend shopping trip. It would do well anywhere "down here" among the better restaurants. It's run by a young couple, he is the chef and she is the pastry chef. It's part of a wine and gourmet food store right in town and open most day only open for lunch. There is a "fine dining" restaurant upstairs Apt. 2G, but I have never eaten there as I am not in Front Royal at night.

Element is a lunch spot and has a regular menu of soups (all made in house) and sandwiches, but has a special entree that changes every day. Try the special, it's usually the best thing on the menu and that says a lot. The deserts they have on the menu are just cookies and ice cream, ask them what is being made upstairs for dinner and they will let you have one of the glorious treats they are preparing for the fine dinners anticipated later that evening. The chocolate profiteroles are sinful delights.......... the last time I went I had the special, which included the best piece of pan seared salmon I have ever eaten.

Hope some of you, looking for a nice beautiful drive in the country at this time of year will try it out and add your comments.

here is their website:

http://jsgourmet.com/element.html

I am not totally positive but I believe I may have worked with this young man at the Inn. ( He was young then) There was a David on saute who I believed was the most talented in the kitchen at the time. Often after service Patrick O'Connell and Reinhardt Lynch would have dinner in the dining room as any other guest. David once prepared a dish for them to try of veal medallions, sweetbreads, cherries and onions slowly reduced. I'll never forget it as he asked me to try it throughout the process. Needless to say it was very good and they loved it enough to add it to the menu. "Cherries were changed to plums later on"

Years later I read a review from Phyllis Richman where she praised this dish by Patrick O'Connell. I must say it gave me a chuckle as little did she know.

Hopefully I can get to Element one day to confirm my gut instinct that this chef/owner is the same David from many moons ago.

There is a wonderful little Bistro in Front Royal, Va. No one was more surprised to find it there than I on a weekend shopping trip. It would do well anywhere "down here" among the better restaurants. It's run by a young couple, he is the chef and she is the pastry chef. It's part of a wine and gourmet food store right in town and open most day only open for lunch. There is a "fine dining" restaurant upstairs Apt. 2G, but I have never eaten there as I am not in Front Royal at night.

Element is a lunch spot and has a regular menu of soups (all made in house) and sandwiches, but has a special entree that changes every day. Try the special, it's usually the best thing on the menu and that says a lot. The deserts they have on the menu are just cookies and ice cream, ask them what is being made upstairs for dinner and they will let you have one of the glorious treats they are preparing for the fine dinners anticipated later that evening. The chocolate profiteroles are sinful delights.......... the last time I went I had the special, which included the best piece of pan seared salmon I have ever eaten.

Hope some of you, looking for a nice beautiful drive in the country at this time of year will try it out and add your comments.

here is their website:

http://jsgourmet.com/element.html

Their names are David and Stacy Gedney. The only place I know them from is The Ashby Inn. Good people. J's was started by Jorie Martin and her husband where their focus was a wine shop and catering. The Gedneys have had it for several years and seem to be doing well. I have not had a chance to get to Element but have been several times to Apt. 2G. Solid meals every time. To be honest, it is an oasis in the desert that is Front Royal, VA.

Their names are David and Stacy Gedney. The only place I know them from is The Ashby Inn. Good people. J's was started by Jorie Martin and her husband where their focus was a wine shop and catering. The Gedneys have had it for several years and seem to be doing well. I have not had a chance to get to Element but have been several times to Apt. 2G. Solid meals every time. To be honest, it is an oasis in the desert that is Front Royal, VA.

I can't recall his last name but David Shannon was the Executive Sous Chef at the time. And this other David was on saute.

Element is a lunch spot

Not just a lunch spot... was out biking Skyline drive on Saturday and hit Element for dinner. Really enjoyed it-- the highlights being the Caramel Cake with Strawberries ($6), Salmon with Mustard Cream Pasta ($16), which had a wonderfully pungent mustard kick to it, and Wild Rice and Duck Confit Soup ($7). The wine list has very gentle mark-ups, and they were pouring a couple of Linden wines (which is not far up the road) by the glass that night for reasonable prices.

We have eaten at Apt 2G several times and have always been pleased. When one reserves a table for dinner, it is your table for the evening. They cater to food allergie issues. It IS a great find for that area and this thread is tempting me to make the trip out there again. I think the prices are great for product presented.

This is a very nice moderately priced restaurant in Front Royal. David and Stacey met while working at the Inn at Little Washington and this restaurant shows the pedigree. Element has a limited menu compared to upstairs at Apartment 2G, but the price is equally less demanding. This is our go to restaurant on free weekends and 2G is our special event place. It is fun to watch the kitchen prep your meal on the monitors in the upstairs dining rooms. Hard to believe they do what they do in such a tiny kitchen. Either Element or Apt 2G are worth the drive to Front Royal and there is plenty to do to fill a weekend.

Christopher

Enjoyed an excellent meal at Apt 2G last week.  Started with a shrimp risotto that had tremendous flavor. For main courses we had scallops and lamb.  Both were delicious. For $50 per person I thought it was an excellent deal.  I was surprised by the size of the upstairs.  I pictured 3 or 4 two-tops looking directly into the kitchen.  Instead there are about 10 tables spread out through two rooms with a closed circuit tv on the kitchen.  Guests are welcome to get up and wander into the kitchen, which we did and it was fun to watch but I felt kind of intrusive. Notwithstanding my incorrect assumptions, I felt very comfortable and relaxed the whole time.  The table was ours and we did not feel rushed in anyway.  

The Element part downstairs was mostly full even though we were there on the early side at 6:30.  Dishes coming out of the kitchen while we were having a drink at the bar before going upstairs looked worth a trip back to try out.  Out that far, I still prefer One Block West and need to get back there soon.  (and I desperately miss my beloved Ashby of old, and need to give the new gang a shot too) But 2G is a great bargain for the amount and quality of the courses, a very relaxed atmosphere and just a unique and fun time.