Hanger Steak

Looking to pick up about 6 hanger steaks for a party this weekend.

Any suggestions on the best place to pick these up? Since I assume Michael will not part with any of his.

I saw some at Balducci's last weekend. What about some of the butchers in the area - anyone had any luck. Alexandria or Bethesda if possible.

1) As far as I know, Michael continues to sell steaks raw, by the pound, if you call in advance and show up before (or after, one assumes) peak times. They are not cheap; they are worth it.

2) Union meats in Eastern Market generall has them, as well.

Last time I tried to buy raw meat from Michael, the hanger was the one cut he wouldn't sell for take home cooking. Not sure why.

I've found good hangers recently at the Organic Butcher in Mclean. I forget the exact price, but I believe they were around $9.99 or $10.99/lb. They were very tasty.

Last time I tried to buy raw meat from Michael, the hanger was the one cut he wouldn't sell for take home cooking. Not sure why.

I've found good hangers recently at the Organic Butcher in Mclean. I forget the exact price, but I believe they were around $9.99 or $10.99/lb. They were very tasty.

Maybe he was running low; I've bought them there before. Though, usually if I'm going to go out to Ray's, I upgrade to the cowboy which, with all do respect for the hangar, is significantly better cut.
Give Let's Meat on the Avenue in Del Ray a call. Lebanese butcher maybe?
Is hangar steak Halal?

Looking to pick up about 6 hanger steaks for a party this weekend.

Any suggestions on the best place to pick these up? Since I assume Michael will not part with any of his.

I saw some at Balducci's last weekend. What about some of the butchers in the area - anyone had any luck. Alexandria or Bethesda if possible.

I picked up four from Union Meats in Eastern Market last weekend - $7.99/lb

Jill at Cheesetique has special ordered them for me before, but that was before the move and I'm not sure if they still sell raw meat products. They were sold whole and huge and required some trimming, including taking out the rope like tendon(?), but were crazy delicious.

Maybe he was running low; I've bought them there before. Though, usually if I'm going to go out to Ray's, I upgrade to the cowboy which, with all do respect for the hangar, is significantly better cut.

Is hangar steak Halal?

Not unless you buy it from a Halal Butcher.

Give Let's Meat on the Avenue in Del Ray a call. Lebanese butcher maybe?
Jill at Cheesetique has special ordered them for me before, but that was before the move and I'm not sure if they still sell raw meat products. They were sold whole and huge and required some trimming, including taking out the rope like tendon(?), but were crazy delicious.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that might be where she gets them from, but that's a completely baseless assumption because they're practically next door to one another.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that might be where she gets them from, but that's a completely baseless assumption because they're practically next door to one another.

This was well before LMOTA moved into town. Actually, it was when Cheesetique was still in that spot!

I have been finding my whole hanger steaks at the Fresh World on Elden Street in Herndon.  They're sold in vac pacs.  In general, I'm not thrilled with this store; aisles are narrow and packed high, so it has this sort of closed in, foreboding feel to it.  But they have a HUGE meat selection.  They are also a good source for beef bones; unlike a lot of places they do not mix the bone types up which is nice if you are seeking a specific bone type for your stock.  The effort involved in splitting the two sides from the bit of connective tissue is minor and at $4.99/lb, yes, I'll make the effort.  

• Like 1

I had an unfortunate experience at Whole Foods in Fair Lakes last year. I asked that a hanger steak be cut lengthwise, meaning to cut along the connective tissue--I assumed that was clear. Couldn't see what the meat cutter was doing, so I got home with a hanger steak cut lengthwise horizontally--two thin halves with connective tissue down the middle. Won't do that again!

I'm not close to Herndon, but I think there's a Fresh World in Alexandria. I might stop by there some time and see what they have. Thanks for the tip!

Miscut hanger stead.jpg

2 hours ago, ScotteeM said:

I had an unfortunate experience at Whole Foods in Fair Lakes last year. I asked that a hanger steak be cut lengthwise, meaning to cut along the connective tissue--I assumed that was clear. Couldn't see what the meat cutter was doing, so I got home with a hanger steak cut lengthwise horizontally--two thin halves with connective tissue down the middle. Won't do that again!

I'm not close to Herndon, but I think there's a Fresh World in Alexandria. I might stop by there some time and see what they have. Thanks for the tip!

Miscut hanger stead.jpg

I'm surprised that would happen at Whole Foods, but I would NOT be surprised if it happened at an Asian market.  I see hanger steak in HMart's cases all the time, as fairly thin slices, done across the full, unseparated hangar steak. :(  Different cultural preferences, I know.  Still, it makes me sad because I am very fond of hangers and I can't quite see enjoying having to slice the separating tissue out of every individual piece while eating.  

• Like 1