Dining in West Dupont Circle

In what seems like a very astute and forward-thinking move, Pesce will be relocating into the old Montsouris space at the beginning of August. Congratulations to Regine, Verveine, and the rest of the Pesce crew.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hmm. Astute in what sense? Is the rent lower? The space seems about the same size, if I recall it accurately from the days when it was JHS. And it's more of a cave, lacking the side windows of the current Pesce location.

I had spoken with Regine earlier this week, and based on our conversation, I just didn't feel comfortable answering your question at the time (*). But now that the Post has broken the news here, I can say it: The plans are for David Craig to return to Washington, DC, and to open Confit in the existing Pesce space.

---

In addition, I received permission from our own Joanne Liu (who originally posted here inquiring about P Street), to say that she and her partners will in fact be opening Scion. Joanne, please feel free to chime in with more details. In Joanne's words:

Scion - descendant; heir; offshoot; progeny; a detached branch of a living plant

My parents Jenny and Henry Liu, immigrated to the US 35 years ago and while my mom worked in a Chinese restaurant, my dad drove a cab, eventually saving up enough money to open a carryout restaurant, then Jenny's as a traditional Chinese restaurant in Waterside which we upgraded to Jenny's Asian Fusion with our move to the SW Waterfront 6 years ago. Their endless hard work and the work ethic they instilled in my sister and I carried us through college, 10 years in the corporate world for me as a forensic accountant and law school and the corporate legal world for Julie, but in the end, our passion and instinct is for the restaurant industry so Scion is a tribute to how our restaurant family has evolved from takeout Chinese to sit down Chinese to modern Asian and now modern American. Our restaurants have been our family room and our customers our family through the years and we're excited to add to that family in Dupont Circle.

We look forward to joining the P Street neighborhood and serving you and your community!

---

Finally, look for an autumn opening of Eola, in the old Mark and Orlando's space. Chef-owner will be our own Dan Singhofen, who has recently come to DC from (ironically) Orlando, where he was born and raised. The Sous Chef will be Brian Wilson, who has spent time at several important kitchens in the city. Their nascent website is changing daily, and at this point is very much a work-in-progress. According to their website, Eola comes from the word "eolian," which means, "to be carried by the wind." And after so many months of being unfairly penalized by construction, here's hoping that P Street Dupont reaps the benefits of strong tradewinds from this point forward, the rising tide to lift all new ships.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) Restaurateurs: please remember that if you choose to entrust me with confidential information, I will not violate that trust. (Just ask Mark Kuller, who asked me to button my lip about Adam several days ago.)

I had spoken with Regine earlier this week, and based on our conversation, I just didn't feel comfortable answering your question at the time (*). But now that the Post has broken the news here, I can say it: The plans are for David Craig to return to Washington, DC, and to open Confit in the existing Pesce space.

---

In addition, I received permission from our own Joanne Liu (who originally posted here inquiring about P Street), to say that she and her partners will in fact be opening Scion. Joanne, please feel free to chime in with more details. In Joanne's words:

---

Finally, look for an autumn opening of Eola, in the old Mark and Orlando's space. Chef-owner will be our own Dan Singhofen, who has recently come to DC from (ironically) Orlando, where he was born and raised. The Sous Chef will be Brian Wilson, who has spent time at several important kitchens in the city. Their nascent website is changing daily, and at this point is very much a work-in-progress. According to their website, Eola comes from the word "eollan," which means, "to be carried by the wind." And after so many months of being unfairly penalized by construction, here's hoping that P Street Dupont reaps the benefits of strong tradewinds from this point forward, the rising tide to lift all new ships.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) Restaurateurs: please remember that if you choose to entrust me with confidential information, I will not violate that trust. (Just ask Mark Kuller, who asked me to button my lip about Adam several days ago.)

This is all fantastic news for one of my favorite, oft-overlooked neighborhoods in the city. All involved should be commended for investing in the restaurant scene during these difficult times. I look forward to trying them out.

This is all very exciting!! This is my neighborhood and I can't wait to try each and every one of these new restaurants. Their menus are right up my alley (let's hope the price range is as well).

I wish you all luck in your new endeavours. Welcome to the neighborhood! (Please keep us updated.)

Eola Restaurant at 2020 P St. NW is now open for business. We are open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday from 5:30 till 10:30. Please feel free to call for a reservation (202) 466-4441 or simply drop by. Also, you can check out the menu online at the website www.eoladc.com. We offer an a la carte menu as well as a 6-course tasting menu nightly.

Regards,

Eola Management and Staff

Taj Mahal at 1327 Connecticut Avenue opened in 1965 (citation). It was probably no more than a year after that that I had dinner there with my family. I can't remember what the occasion was, but it must have been a special one, as my family almost never had dinner in a restaurant when I was a kid, unless we were traveling. I'm afraid I haven't been back since. The only thing I remember about the meal was the lemon pickle, which was the hottest thing I had ever tasted till then. Has anyone else eaten there in the last 45 years? I couldn't find any reference to the place anywhere on donrockwell.com.

ETA: Either I don't search too good, or Rocks added it to the list really quickly.

[i'm fast. :(]

I also noticed last week that Polo Indian Club is now called Dalchinni. I called and verified that it's under new ownership - the signs outside will be changing soon.

Last night, I drove down P Street, and saw that Stars Bistro and Bar is being replaced by Vento, and also that Panas Gourmet Empanadas is open in the same block as Obelisk.

Cheers,

Rocks

Last night, I drove down P Street, and saw that Stars Bistro and Bar is being replaced by Vento, and also that Panas Gourmet Empanadas is open in the same block as Obelisk

I saw in one of the local business rags recently that the owners of Siroc are opening a new place on P Street, and I believe it was in the old Stars space. The article suggested that it was going to be another Siroc, but perhaps it's another Italian concept. Does anyone else know anything about this?