Adega, Wine Bar and Cafe on Fenton Street in Downtown Silver Spring - Closed

Wondering if anybody here had any thoughts about this place. I've walked by it many, many, many times in Silver Spring, but never been bothered to go for no reason in particular.
Beth and I used to love this place. It's perfect for a quick bite before a movie. The food is better than your typical counter-service "fast-food" plus you can get some pretty decent wine with your dinner. The burgers are solid and we always enjoyed the sweet potato fries but ask for them extra crispy. Also not sure if they still have it but there was a really good jerk chicken wrap. The wine (by the glass) selection isn't groundbreaking or anything but it seemed like every time we went we ended up being there during some type of promotion or happy hour or something so it ended up being cheap. The service was always fantastic. There was a red-head/blond lady and an asian guy that used to work the counter who were both probably in the top 5 friendliest "fast-food" employees I have ever encountered. You should definitely drop in next time you are walking by.

Wondering if anybody here had any thoughts about this place. I've walked by it many, many, many times in Silver Spring, but never been bothered to go for no reason in particular.

The last thing I wrote about Adega was four years ago, but I just noted on their website that their corkage fee (if you buy the wine in-store) has dropped to $0.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm there once every couple of weeks or so for lunch.

Excellent sandwiches if a tiny bit pricey. Try the eggplant french fries. They're delicious.

Haven't been by for dinner in a while, so I can't tell you what the crowd is like. About a year or so ago happy hour was like a Sturgis for the stroller set.

The wine selection had really gone downhill, but in the last year or so they really started putting a better effort to it and it's a lot better. There are now some interesting bottles, but you're still paying Monkey Cty retail prices so everything is more expensive than it should be. Unfortunately, there's really nothing the proprietors can do about that.

So five months after asking about it, I finally dined at Adega, and in the chain-restaurant hell that Downtown Silver Spring is, it's now probably my favorite option for a quick meal in the area.

Two words: Eggplant. Fries. The food in general was good, but the fries were worth the trip. Deceptively light, not mushy like a lot of fried eggplant preparations are, and really ridiculously tasty. A nice variety of sandwiches and wraps, although I wasn't terribly fond of the amount of mozzarella on my sandwich (not that it was excessive, I'm just not the biggest fan of the texture - I shouldn't have ordered it in the first place). Started off with a mini Roma flatbread, which was perfect as a starter.

Oh, dessert also needs to be mentioned. Being the sucker for all things fried that I am, I ordered their funnel cake fries. Yes, fried funnel cake sticks. Better than the genuine article, if you'd believe it.

So five months after asking about it, I finally dined at Adega, and in the chain-restaurant hell that Downtown Silver Spring is, it's now probably my favorite option for a quick meal in the area.

Two words: Eggplant. Fries. The food in general was good, but the fries were worth the trip. Deceptively light, not mushy like a lot of fried eggplant preparations are, and really ridiculously tasty. A nice variety of sandwiches and wraps, although I wasn't terribly fond of the amount of mozzarella on my sandwich (not that it was excessive, I'm just not the biggest fan of the texture - I shouldn't have ordered it in the first place). Started off with a mini Roma flatbread, which was perfect as a starter.

Oh, dessert also needs to be mentioned. Being the sucker for all things fried that I am, I ordered their funnel cake fries. Yes, fried funnel cake sticks. Better than the genuine article, if you'd believe it.

Those funnel cake fries are are quite addictive. Adega is on my extremely short list of go-to places in SS for a quick bite to eat [or when I'm in the mood for a quirky sweet treat like those fries] wink.gif

We, too, were disappointed that so many chain restaurants populated downtown Silver Spring. My husband and I have eaten at Adega's at least once a month since they opened. Adega is a breath of fresh air with innovative sandwiches and decent wine pours at a reasonable price for a quick dinner. For all you meat lovers, try the Cabernet burger and steak sub, they're both excellent. Wines by the bottle are half price on Mondays and you can take any leftovers home with you.

I really want to like Adega, so much that I keep trying it again every couple of months, but I always end up disappointed. Today it was my $7.99 Southwestern Chipotle Turkey sandwich. From the menu: "Oven roasted turkey, chipotle pesto, roasted Red peppers, avocados, bacon, fresh field greens, Montery (sic) jack cheese, served on toasted foccacia bread." In reality, slightly stale, crumbly foccacia with processed sliced turkey, a 1mm slice of cheese, indifferent jarred pepper strips, one lonely chunk of avocado, and abundant mesclun mix. The chipotle pesto added some heat but not a lot of flavor. Maybe I'm ordering the wrongs things? :angry: Anyway, for $8 I walked away thinking I would have got a better deal at Whole Foods.

The wine prices are, as Joe noted, Montgomery County retail but it does seem like they are putting more effort into their selection.

The menu is definitely hit-or-miss, but I feel like when they hit, they're really good. Some of my favorites are the eggplant fries, the Roma flatbread, and the pulled pork sliders. I actually really liked the sliders, which made the genius decision of adding smoked gouda to the sandwich to add the smokiness lost by the fact that they don't have the facilities to smoke the pork shoulder.

On 2/20/2017 at 3:21 PM, dracisk said:

According to my neighborhood listserv, there's a sign posted at Adega saying that due to unforeseen circumstances they would close indefinitely on February 19. And apparently they're closed.

It's never a good sign when the home page on a restaurant's website refers to Restaurant Week from two years ago. Adega was super-progressive with their corkage fees, and were trailblazers in that regard.

Screenshot 2017-02-21 at 6.01.43 PM.png