Laurel Meat Market

Pool Boy

This place has been here probably for ages. This weekend I indulged in ribeyes and burgers from there.

They grind up their own fresh burger meat. It is sublime. Best burgers ever. Their ribeyes they will cut to order, bone in or boneless. Had 1.5 inchers (2" too much). Glorious. Is it prime? No. Is it grass fed? No, probably not. But is it good? Hell yes!

They do a fine selection of meats and will almost always be able to order whatever it is you might want. AND, they serve up quite a few PA Dutch Country treats as well!

Is it prime? No. Is it grass fed? No, probably not. But is it good? Hell yes!

If I remember correctly, they finish they're beef on corn, for the last 6 months I believe. So it's partially grass-fed. Well they don't, the people they get it from do. Their meat is pre-cut to an extent before it arrives - I've had problems getting certain cuts of meat (pork in particular) because they don't get whole animals in. It's a great place though, especially for folks who care less about getting 100% pasture-raised meat.

And good sausages (I think those are some of the amish delights you speak of).

If I remember correctly, they finish they're beef on corn, for the last 6 months I believe. So it's partially grass-fed. Well they don't, the people they get it from do. Their meat is pre-cut to an extent before it arrives - I've had problems getting certain cuts of meat (pork in particular) because they don't get whole animals in. It's a great place though, especially for folks who care less about getting 100% pasture-raised meat.

And good sausages (I think those are some of the amish delights you speak of).

I'm looking to source some grass-fed beef one of these days. But yes, their stuff is good and terribly convenient for me. I think if you give them enough notice and are clear enough about exactly what you want, they can get a good bit of stuff for you. It just requires some extra effort -- but some stuff I think they just won't carry (like slabs of pork belly).

I'm looking to source some grass-fed beef one of these days. But yes, their stuff is good and terribly convenient for me. I think if you give them enough notice and are clear enough about exactly what you want, they can get a good bit of stuff for you. It just requires some extra effort -- but some stuff I think they just won't carry (like slabs of pork belly).
Actually, I've gotten pork belly from them before (and really good stuff, too). But that was about a year ago, so things may have changed.

I believe that Roots on GA Ave just south of Olney has grass fed beef on a fairly regular basis. You might call them and ask.

I am still a regular here. I generally go for the meats, sausages, hot dogs and then throw them the occasional curve ball. Lamb neck. They looked at me like I was an alien. <sigh>

Most of the time, they do indeed only get parts in, that they finish breaking down there. Often at the right times of the year, they do offer up whole pigs or lambs. They tend not to do any 'fancy' or more obscure cuts of meat, which is too bad because they could really then stand out from the grocery stores more. They could do some dry aging as well, but I think the market for the area is not that developed. This could change given the developments coming to the area soon, so there's hope.

For now, when I want well priced meat, that is semi-local and semi grass fed, that is hyper local to me, this is the place. As long as I do not throw them a curve ball.

• Like 1

Agree with you completely PoolBoy. I actually went in here on Saturday because I was in a pinch to get something for a cookout and am tired of spending too much money for nothing special at Wegman's so I ventured in to pick up some flank steak. Sadly they only had skirt steak, which is what I was hoping for, frozen, but the flank worked. It continues to be a reasonable compromise for me when I'm in a pinch although I would certainly shop there much more often if they offered more truly pastured products or stranger cuts like you mention.

Also, I wish their produce wasn't of horrible quality. I think they just don't move stuff through there quickly enough and it's obviously not why you go there, but I had most of what I needed at home already and only wanted some onions and an avocado to supplement and struggled to find something useable. I do love that they always carry beet pickled eggs though. :)

Their produce is. at best, average, and most of the time, middling, and sometimes truly awful.  Their deli counter and related goodies are nice though, like the red beet eggs (and of PA Dutchy things!) you mention. They do carry some other things in extensive selections, too, like McCutcheons.

But I go there for the meat.

3 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I just heard from an email on one of the local laurel email groups that Laurel Meat Market is closing by the end of this month.

If this is true, it is a tragedy.

I am so sad.

The person that stated they are closing indicated that the owner is retiring. And his son did not to take over the business and neither did the owner's brother.  I wonder if they may yet still find someone to take it over and run it. Probably not. Damn.