Black Hog BBQ, A Frederick-Based Barbecue Chain Smoking Meats In-House Daily

So I stumbled on the website for this BBQ joint and I can't find any threads about it on DR. Anyone been to Black Hog?

I haven't been, but if I'm reading their website correctly, they're using the name "Black Hog" in a very dubious way. This is like someone opening a steakhouse serving Angus beef, and calling it "Kobe Beef Steak House," adding:

'Compared to other breeds, the flavor of the Kobe breed is exceptional. The lean micro-marbled meat is extra tender due to the breed's short muscle fibers. This produces a tender, moist cut of beef with an exquisite and unique taste.

We thought it only fitting to choose this name to represent the fine quality of food and service that we offer at the restaurant.'

Please tell me I'm interpreting this incorrectly, in which case I'll apologize and delete this post in a jiffy.

Cheers,
Rocks.

what you mean by "dubious" please? How is it dubious? There is a species in Japan I think that transliterates to "Black Hog," IIRC. Saw it on a Japanese food show once. Maybe Xochitl10 can chime in?? {paging!!}

Edited by goodeats

I think I'm reading the same thing as Rocks. They don't actually serve Black Hog as a product; it's just a name to evoke quality.

Comparable to (hypothetical) if 5 Guys continued to serve the same product, but changed their name to Kobe Burger.

I haven't been, but if I'm reading their website correctly, they're using the name "Black Hog" in a very dubious way.

Dubious? Hilarious! To wit: Black Hog Hot Wings - now pigs fly.

But seriously, my mind pictured Black Hog as the acorn chomping black-hoofed Iberian Pig [Pata Negra] that is both sustainable and the raw ingredient for the prized food delicacy Jamí³n Ibérico.

http://en.wikipedia....ack_Iberian_pig

I've been 3 or 4 times.

I'm not a BBQ snob, looking for the depth of the smoke ring and all that - but I do like Black Hog and what they serve. I see them as a very approachable BBQ kind of place - kind of the way Hard Times Cafe is for chili, offering different styles at reasonable prices. It may not be quite like the pit BBQ like you might find in southern MD, but it is much better than, say, BBQ ribs at a TGI FRidays. I like it better than Dave's or Red Hot and Blue (though I love listening to Blues music when eating BBQ!)

They have a number of different BBQs - pulled pork carolina style, ribs and a few others. Looks like Arkansas BBQ is a new addition. But the menu is not outrageous with a ton of other things - this is BBQ, take it or leave it. The atmosphere is one of a neighborhood hangout - almost saloon-like, with red brick walls and nice big windows facing the street to watch the cars go by. Service has been good and you might see the owner out back over the smoker.

I believe that this place is a great value for the money and would recommend giving it a shot. People tend to be particular about their BBQ, so not all will like it (not all will like ANY such place) but I suspect that most would.

And don't expect a seat on a weekend night. The place seems to have caught on.

I haven't been, but if I'm reading their website correctly, they're using the name "Black Hog" in a very dubious way. This is like someone opening a steakhouse serving Angus beef, and calling it "Kobe Beef Steak House," adding:

Please tell me I'm interpreting this incorrectly, in which case I'll apologize and delete this post in a jiffy.

Cheers,

Rocks.

In fairness, that part of their website starts with

"One of the rarest of the heritage breeds of hogs, the Black Hog is listed by the American Livestock Breeds Conservatory as endangered with fewer than 300 breeding hogs registered today"

Implying that it would be unethical, if not illegal, to actually sell black hog meat. It is exactly what they intend it to be, an homage to a breed nearly gone.

Although somewhat different from most names, I don't see the issue here. If I named my courier service the "Homing Pigeon Courier Service" I don't think anyone would expect homing pigeons. They'd understand the link.

Give the place a try. You might find something positive about it.

I think I'm reading the same thing as Rocks. They don't actually serve Black Hog as a product; it's just a name to evoke quality.

Comparable to (hypothetical) if 5 Guys continued to serve the same product, but changed their name to Kobe Burger.

I know you guys are foodies and I'm a nube. But did YOU know that Black Hog was a fine, rare breed? I didn't. I had heard of Kobe, but never Black Hog. In fact, coming into the place, I thought...maybe...it was named for an African American that ate a lot. tongue.gif

So when I first ate there, I read the little story and learned something. And I didn't flinch, wondering why I wasn't getting Black Hog on my plate.

Panda express doesn't serve pandas. Buffalo wings don't cause much confusion. And Starkist is sill the chicken of the sea. I'm just sayin - seems like you guys are swimming in the deep end of this one.

Implying that it would be unethical, if not illegal, to actually sell black hog meat. It is exactly what they intend it to be, an homage to a breed nearly gone.

According to the Large Black Hog Association (seriously):

Though any heritage breed can be used for pasture pork production, the Large Black has the added advantage of being easy on your pastures.

The only reason we raise hogs to begin with is for their pork, so just how does the taste of a Large Black compare to other breeds? The answer, exceptional! When processed at around 200 pounds, the pork is lean yet micro-marbled for a moist product on the grill or in the oven. The texture of the pork is extra tender due to the short muscle fibers which has earned it a place in some of the most exclusive restaurants in New York and Europe. The meat is slightly darker in color with an old world flavor. Large Black Hogs are also famous for their exceptional bacon.

The Large Black Hog is a heritage pig perfect for todays pasture pork production. This tender and moist pork with the old world flavor will become a staple on your customers plates. Its been said that the way to a mans heart is through his stomach but this pig will steal your heart long before it reaches your table.

Read more here.

It appears to me we are supposed to eat these hogs. I frankly cannot conceive of another reason why people would be actively breeding them. I suspect the Black Hog BBQ folks know this and have visited the Association's website, which contains the following passage:

With fewer than 300 registered breeding hogs living today, the Large Black is listed as endangered by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.

This appears on the Black Hog BBQ website About Us page rewritten as:

One of the rarest of the heritage breeds of hogs, the Black Hog is listed by the American Livestock Breeds Conservatory as endangered with fewer than 300 breeding hogs registered today.

Well, this post is just a first impression, as I only had (1/2) of one sandwich and a beverage, and well, that may not be enough compared to jayandstacey's experiences. Since the weather was wonderfully pleasant out today, it was not at all busy here at 2:30pm, which is not surprising, as most other places in town weren't busy either. It is very clean, well-designed, with a board menu that is very easy to read, great explanations on the menu on what BBQ styles they serve, and the locals are very drawn to here. Plus, it's super family-friendly, although I didn't check the bathrooms to see whether they had changing tables. Carry out was the way to go today for this place, as I must have passed at least 3-4 families on my way in with big bags.

As I was saving room for my bigger splurge tonight, I chose to stick with a BBQ Pork Shoulder sandwich ($6.99) and a glass of Aunt Michele's Sweet Tea for $2.25. They also have Cheerwine here for $1.99. No taps, just bottles for beer, with Flying Dog as one of their better choices.

Given that part of their goals is

We thought it only fitting to choose this name to represent the fine quality of food and service that we offer at the restaurant.

I wish they locally-sourced. I think this would mean that the prices would be much higher, but I feel like it would be more along the lines of what they are aiming for. Instead, I found out that FoodPRO (which is local) was their wholesaler and most of their meats "probably came out west." I didn't inquire further what this meant exactly, but I felt like I was being too nosy if I asked more.

I am writing all this because when it comes down to the meat, well, it just tasted like it sat there for awhile. A bit tough, but not dried out, but much of a good, natural pork flavor was not there. Perhaps I am being picky here. Plus, I think the bun didn't match with the meat either. It is sort of like pairing Sysco buns with a high-quality burger, perhaps? I am not sure.

However, I can attest that the BBQ sauce that came with the pork is definitely homemade, as attest by the folks there. It had a good vinegary, hot flavor. Same as sweet tea. Here's a picture of the sandwich:
post-2127-124676024478_thumb.jpg

I think it's worth going to taste the varieties of homemade sauces and the ribs my neighbor had at the bar certainly was "finger licking good," as that was what he was doing unabashedly; thus, the ribs are probably the better way to go.

Not to beat a a dead hog horse, but spotted this in today's Washington Post:

Tauraso has taken some criticism for naming his younger place after the rare heritage-breed pigs prized for their flavor and texture, since no such pedigreed meat is served in his 57-seat dining room. "We're not doing anything wrong," he says. The name, he insists, was chosen to reflect the high quality of the service and food.

It's nice enough. Friendly service, nice atmosphere, and freshly prepared food. The food is tasty enough and it's definitely one of the better places in the area. Though I might be biased because they serve fried margarine-and-hot sauce wings, which can be difficult to find nowadays.

I should mention that they now have a second location outside of Frederick, at

Black Hog BBQ & Bar

Phone: 240-699-0070

Address: Urbana Village Center. Ijamsville, MD

Now I dont want to be a negative nancy here but, well, I just gotta be: my wife and I were driving back from Morgantown (this wouldve been in early November) and went to the address listed there in Ijamsville and, well, it. just aint. there; as in, where it should've been, there was a sparkling new Harley showroom and body shop. Now, I aint the most technologicalified man and there's a definite chance I just copied down the address wrong, so my wife dutifully looked it up again on her Idroidberry and, lo and behold, same address, but still no 'cue, no sweet tantalising wisps and wafts of slowly smoldering fruitwoods and hickorys tucked into their sabled iron durance, no grates full of gently softly rotating oozing porcine parts and bovine bellies, no, just the long slow deliberate screech and whine of man's drastic failed attempt at his apotheosis two wheeled earthbound icaruslike.

I'd like to be proven wrong here, hell I'd just like to know how we managed (or didnt) to get it all so drastically fantastically wrong; any body actually been to their second location?

The website seems a little confused, the location on their Google Maps for it says it's at 3325 Worthington Blvd Ijamsville, MD 21754 ... but that's definitely not right. It's in the Urbana Village Center at the intersection of 355 and 80: http://www.jbgr.com/images/inner/properties/UrbanaVillageCenter.pdf

I didn't see a sign for it under the banner so it might just not be open yet. It's vaguely on my way home from work so I'll swing by on Wednesday and see what the deal is.

Now I dont want to be a negative nancy here but, well, I just gotta be: my wife and I were driving back from Morgantown (this wouldve been in early November) and went to the address listed there in Ijamsville and, well, it. just aint. there; as in, where it should've been, there was a sparkling new Harley showroom and body shop. Now, I aint the most technologicalified man and there's a definite chance I just copied down the address wrong, so my wife dutifully looked it up again on her Idroidberry and, lo and behold, same address, but still no 'cue, no sweet tantalising wisps and wafts of slowly smoldering fruitwoods and hickorys tucked into their sabled iron durance, no grates full of gently softly rotating oozing porcine parts and bovine bellies, no, just the long slow deliberate screech and whine of man's drastic failed attempt at his apotheosis two wheeled earthbound icaruslike.

I'd like to be proven wrong here, hell I'd just like to know how we managed (or didnt) to get it all so drastically fantastically wrong; any body actually been to their second location?

I've been by it, but not in it.

You were probably at the Harley Davidson on Urbana Pike just south of Frederick. If so, you were about 3 miles from the Frederick Black Hog BBQ, but about 7 miles from the Urbana Black Hog BBQ.

So here's possibly how things got screwy:

Both Black Hog locations are on MD rte 355. But MD rte 355 has something like 10 different names as it winds from Georgetown to about the Pennsylvania line. Worse still, it sometimes picks up the name of a farther town while in another. So for instance, in Rockville, Md rte 355 is called "Frederick Rd" in some places - while in Frederick, it is called "Urbana Pike" in portions.

So the Black Hog in Frederick is on MD rte 355, where it is called "Market Street"

The Harley Dealer in Frederick is on MD rte 355, where it is called "Urbana Pike"

The Black Hog in Urbana is on MD rte 355, where it is called "Worthington Blvd"

Yes, Worthington Blvd is technically right for the Black Hog address - MD rte 355 becomes Urbana Pike again SOUTH of the Black Hog Urbana location (literally, at the edge of the shopping center's property) while it is also called Urbana Pike north of Urbana. This is due to the new construction through Urbana, where rte 355 has been re routed and part of that new road is Worthington Blvd. Only for about a mile, and only in Urbana.

So how does Ijamsville enter into it? This is likely due to the zip code, which assigns to Ijamsville, but that's technically about 5 miles north of Urbana. Maybe Urbana hasn't incorporated or has its own zip code yet, or whatever - but "Urbana" is new enough that addresses may still have to use Ijamsville.

So - I suspect your Idrioderry just did the best it could give what it was given. As you can tell, the info on the Black Hog site is weak - "Urbana Village Center" probably translated to Urbana Pike, then the phone took a guess and put you at the north end of Urbana Pike - as close as possible to the Frederick Black Hog location. An exact location like 3325 Worthington Blvd probably would have worked, assuming the phone maps were up to date enough.

Also, you were near the intersection of MD rte 85 and rte 355 at the Harley dealer, while Black Hog Urbana is at the intersection of MD rte 80 and rte 355. Probably not a factor, but...never know.

Lessee....MD Rte 355 names I can think of - did I get them all?:

Wisconsin Ave (DC)

Rockville Pike

Hungerford Dr

Frederick Ave

N Frederick Ave

Urbana Pike

Worthington Blvd

Urbana Pike

Market Street

So years ago I was at a gas station at the intersection of Rte 355 and Gude Drive in North Rockville, not far from Montgomery College. I was asked "how do I get to rte 28 from here?" and I pointed them east. Turns out, the answer didn't matter. In either direction, Gude drive terminates at MD rte 28 - both ends about 5 miles apart. And Gude is a fairly straight road, it is rte 28 that makes a giant "U" on the map.

No wonder everyone lives in DC and VA :)

The website seems a little confused, the location on their Google Maps for it says it's at 3325 Worthington Blvd Ijamsville, MD 21754 ... but that's definitely not right. It's in the Urbana Village Center at the intersection of 355 and 80: http://www.jbgr.com/...llageCenter.pdf

One address in that very shopping center is 3325 Worthington Blvd Ijamsville, MD 21754.

But no one knows that as Ijamsville, and no one knows that road as Worthington Blvd. :) per above.

Maybe that's why they just list the name of the shopping center on the website. - they should probably amend the website to say "find us at X shopping center at this intersection. If, however, you are using a GPS device, enter this address..."

You're right, I was confused because if you look at their Google Maps for the Urbana location, there's a marker off to the left that's pointing at something totally different. But if you click it, comes up as 3325 Worthington Blvd. I guess they mucked up something when they setup their map.

Regardless, I just gave them a call and they are in fact open. I'll probably stop in tomorrow to give it a try.

• Like 1

But MD rte 355 has something like 10 different names as it winds from Georgetown to about the Pennsylvania line.

<snip>

You can't possibly believe that navigating in Maryland is harder than Virginia, can you? If so, please direct your attention to the so-called grid system of roads in Arlington, where, for example, there are at least four entirely separate sections of 17th St N, and where 16th St N intersects 18th St N. And elsewhere in Virginia there're the various Glebe Roads...

Route 7: King St, S King St (as it goes northwest from its eastern end), Leesburg Pike, East Broad St, West Broad St, Leesburg Pike [still many, many miles from Leesburg], Harry Byrd Highway, East Market St, West Market St, Harry Byrd Highway, East Colonial Highway, West Colonial Highway, East Main St, West Main St, East Loudoun St, W Loudoun St., Harry Byrd Highway/Pine Grove Road, East Main St., West Main St, Harry Byrd Highway, Berryville Pike, Berryville Ave, and National Ave. Where it ends. I think.

Oh, and I don't know about Urbana Village Center, but the town of Urbana has been there for several hundred years. :)

I've been by it, but not in it.

You were probably at the Harley Davidson on Urbana Pike just south of Frederick. If so, you were about 3 miles from the Frederick Black Hog BBQ, but about 7 miles from the Urbana Black Hog BBQ.

So here's possibly how things got screwy:

Both Black Hog locations are on MD rte 355. But MD rte 355 has something like 10 different names as it winds from Georgetown to about the Pennsylvania line. Worse still, it sometimes picks up the name of a farther town while in another. So for instance, in Rockville, Md rte 355 is called "Frederick Rd" in some places - while in Frederick, it is called "Urbana Pike" in portions.

So the Black Hog in Frederick is on MD rte 355, where it is called "Market Street"

The Harley Dealer in Frederick is on MD rte 355, where it is called "Urbana Pike"

The Black Hog in Urbana is on MD rte 355, where it is called "Worthington Blvd"

Yes, Worthington Blvd is technically right for the Black Hog address - MD rte 355 becomes Urbana Pike again SOUTH of the Black Hog Urbana location (literally, at the edge of the shopping center's property) while it is also called Urbana Pike north of Urbana. This is due to the new construction through Urbana, where rte 355 has been re routed and part of that new road is Worthington Blvd. Only for about a mile, and only in Urbana.

So how does Ijamsville enter into it? This is likely due to the zip code, which assigns to Ijamsville, but that's technically about 5 miles north of Urbana. Maybe Urbana hasn't incorporated or has its own zip code yet, or whatever - but "Urbana" is new enough that addresses may still have to use Ijamsville.

So - I suspect your Idrioderry just did the best it could give what it was given. As you can tell, the info on the Black Hog site is weak - "Urbana Village Center" probably translated to Urbana Pike, then the phone took a guess and put you at the north end of Urbana Pike - as close as possible to the Frederick Black Hog location. An exact location like 3325 Worthington Blvd probably would have worked, assuming the phone maps were up to date enough.

Also, you were near the intersection of MD rte 85 and rte 355 at the Harley dealer, while Black Hog Urbana is at the intersection of MD rte 80 and rte 355. Probably not a factor, but...never know.

Lessee....MD Rte 355 names I can think of - did I get them all?:

Wisconsin Ave (DC)

Rockville Pike

Hungerford Dr

Frederick Ave

N Frederick Ave

Urbana Pike

Worthington Blvd

Urbana Pike

Market Street

So years ago I was at a gas station at the intersection of Rte 355 and Gude Drive in North Rockville, not far from Montgomery College. I was asked "how do I get to rte 28 from here?" and I pointed them east. Turns out, the answer didn't matter. In either direction, Gude drive terminates at MD rte 28 - both ends about 5 miles apart. And Gude is a fairly straight road, it is rte 28 that makes a giant "U" on the map.

Thanks for clearing that up. :wub:

Stopped by the Urbana location tonight, they've got neon signs up and everything so it's hard to miss. The parking lot was actually really packed so I had to hunt for a space.

Ordered the Beef Brisket, 1/4 Chicken, and sides of BBQ Beans and the Pinto Beans & Rice. Enjoyed all of them quite a lot, definitely much better than Red Hot & Blue. Wish I could go into more detail, but I'm not much of a BBQ afficionado so I'll have to leave it at that. :)

The beer selection wasn't bad either. On Tap they had Gordon Biersch Marzen, Lancaster Hop Hog, and of course Blue Moon. The bottle selection had Fat Tire, Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter, assorted cans from Oscar Blues (but no Ten Fidy!), a few Flying Dogs, and a few other random choices. It's not a bad selection, but I'd rather have Ten Fidy over any other Oscar Blues, and rather have anything that isn't Fat Tire from New Belgium.

Pretty nice place, I'll definitely go back to try out some of their other meats. It's very conveniently located on my way home from work too.

You can't possibly believe that navigating in Maryland is harder than Virginia, can you? ....

Oh, and I don't know about Urbana Village Center, but the town of Urbana has been there for several hundred years. :)

Virginia is easy for me - I just don't go, except for work things. I know how to get in and I know how to get out. Easy!

And yeah, I'll grant you that Urbana's been there - the 10 or 20 or so old houses along the old rte 355 that is now kind of shunted off from the other 20000 new houses.

Thanks for clearing that up. :wub:

I live to give :)

It is very clean, well-designed, with a board menu that is very easy to read, great explanations on the menu on what BBQ styles they serve, and the locals are very drawn to here. <snip> Carry out was the way to go today for this place, as I must have passed at least 3-4 families on my way in with big bags.

A couple 4th of July 's later, the Urbana/Ijamsville location is still going strong. After an early Nats game and unexpected road closures that plowed us onto Independence Avenue, the consensus was to head for the hills to get 'cue [instead of Penn Quarter's Hill Country or MoCo's Urban BBQ]..

As Goodeats noted, many families were carrying out big bags of food -- probably destined for backyard festivities. The service was intelligent and helpful. We arrived in the late afternoon to a tranquil scene and afternoon sun blazing in through their windows.

We had the pulled Pork shoulder, slaw [very finely minced and tasty], mac&cheese [ovenbaked, not stovetop] and fries [very boardwalk-y, but will skip next time to leave room for the 'cue]. I also had the lemonade and it helped cut through the moist and crust-flecked 'cue and the various table sauces.

While it helped that the Urbana/Ijamsville location [i-270 exit onto Route 80 and past the old Cracked Claw at Peter Pan] got us out of the city, it is in Frederick County and a bit of a haul to be in a regular rotation.

I'm glad we finally made it there. Next time, we'll try the sectioned-off bar area [televisions, a better chance to see their draft beers, and explore the rest of their menu].

Just stopped by Black Hog BBQ on the way back from Gettysburg.

We tried the Kansas City wet ribs, Memphis dry ribs, and the pulled pork sandwich. The KC ribs were really good - moist, tender and meaty with a really nice sweet sauce. The Memphis dry ribs were solid enough but didn't match the KC ribs. And I definitely recommend the pulled pork sandwich.

Based on other reviews, we decided to mostly skip the sides to leave room for the que. We did try the collard greens (solid but nothing special) and the House salad (simple, fresh, and decent enough).

Is it worth driving all the way to Frederick for Black Hog? Can't say that. Is it worth dropping by if you're driving through Frederick? Absolutely.

post-10611-0-16328100-1390270986_thumb.j

Mom and I had a day out in the Frederick area at some of the antique stores and sales (Chartreuse, Clover Farm and some of the downtown places).  We needed some late lunch and happened to drive by Black Hog in downtown Frederick.  All the sudden in the back of my mind was calling to me... hey, weren't there posts about that place on DR saying it was really good?  Mom was up for BBQ so we went and got a table for two.  Now to start off we had the nicest waitress, she was really nice.  I ordered a plate with eastern carolina chopped pork (vinegar) with slaw, brisket and a side of greens.  Mom ordered 1/2 rack of dry rub ribs with greens.  Both came with cornbread.  And we got a side of fries.  Well we didn't really need the fries because we got a lot of other really good stuff.

The brisket was ok, I just might not be a huge brisket person.  It wasn't bad in any way, it just wasn't as good as some of the other items. I liked the red tomato based sauce on it, which I dipped fries in.  The cornbread had a great crust and flavor, and was warm.  It reminded me of the cornbread my grandad would make.  The greens were had some great pork goodness in them, just the way they should be, what you would expect, I quite liked them, but I like my greens.  The ribs were really meaty, they had a nice smoke ring, the meat was great.  It had a great smokey flavor, but were juicy and I liked the rub a lot.  I did put a little house bbq sauce on some of it, just to try it, but they were good all on their own.  The chopped pork was great.  Like I got a pound to go to take home to my picky husband good.  Again the flavor was just spot on, it had a good rub that was carmelized on certain bits, but mostly it was just tender and juicy with a nice combination of smoke and vinegar.  It is the best chopped pork I have had around here.  Well the ribs were great too, maybe in best around here contention too.  We took home leftovers and the pound for the Hubby who was really happy.  He wants to go now, so that is a good sign in my book.

I agree with above, it's not like Mecca or anything, but if you are close I would drive a bit out of my way for it again.

I can't help but smile when I see this thread pop up - one of my all-time DR favorites.  It reminds me I need to visit again- it's been a while.

It also reminds me that Dino's disappointingly never offered any Dinosaur on the menu - despite these guys doing so and the fact that science would allow it.

Black Hog BBQ has a third location now I believe.   Panda Express has now has "over 1600 stores in 51 States and abroad"  There's no limit!

:)

Their BBQ Baked Beans are delicious! Sweet & bacony & smoky .... I love Black Hog. We used them for family reunion carry-out and every single person at the party became a fan.

I had their baked beans today, and agree with you - the bacon really brings it to life. If you've never been here, and are going to get a side order, do try the baked beans.

Looking upstream at all the scrutiny about the name, it all seems a little overblown now that I've actually been (and I'm the one who started it, so you can blame me).

Black Hog is most likely going to keep growing in the future, so don't be surprised to see it creep down I-270 at some point.

The north Frederick location has been open for a little while now by the way. The structure of it is different than the other two however, it's done cafeteria style, so you get in line, get a tray, order what you want, then fight for a table.

Only stopped in at that location once so far, right after it opened. Most everything seems about the same as the other locations to me, the one big exception was the Brisket. When I got the brisket at this location, it was bad, straight up. Early kinks being worked out maybe? I'm not really sure, I should stop by again at some point to give it another try, it's right next to the gym I go to anyway.

Had lunch at Black Hog in Urbana- it was a late lunch so did the salad with smoked pulled shoulder.  The meat was good, and I like the salad with their bbq vinagrette.  Our server was a hoot and super nice.  I would have gotten meat to take home to Hubby but he is gone.  This might be my favorite pulled pork that I have tried in the vicinity of the dc area, but I am no bbq expert.  

I've only been to Black Hog once, on a business dinner while traveling solo through Frederick. I got the ribs and could choose between dry rub or sauce or half & half. I went half & half and for the life of me I couldn't tell you which I'd choose in the future. Both types of ribs were super meaty and beautifully cooked. I thought their ribs were truly out of this world. 

But the real reason I'm raising this thread from the dead is because theburn.com website out of Loudoun County announced that Black Hog has signed a lease and will be opening in early 2020 in Ashburn VA at the Riverside Square shopping center that's currently under construction on the north side of Route 7. 

Also, anything jayandstacey posts about is alright with me...

cheers!

• Like 1