Raw Silk, Indian in Old Town Alexandria - Closed

Hi there -

Raw Silk Indian Restaurant & Lounge, one of my clients, opened in January of this year (quietly). High tech couple decided to fulfill their dream and open a modern Indian restaurant with recipes from their family, including Indian “street” fare. They are having their first wine dinner Monday, July 27, 7 PM. 4-courses of Indian fare paired with Chilean & South African wines. $45 per person + tax & tip. 719 King Street, Alexandria, VA., 703-706-5701. http://www.rawsilkalexandria.com Menu below.

CASABLANCA NIMBUS SAUVIGNON BLANC (CHILE) served with Lentil Soup & Raita

CALCU (CHILE) - Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenere & Cabernet Franc blend served with Papri Chaat & Chicken Wings

ROBERTSON PINOTAGE PHANTOM RIDGE (SOUTH AFRICA) served with choice of Chicken Tikka Masala or Lamb Korma, with Basmati Rice, Lentil Daal & Tandoori Naan

ROBERTSON ALMOND GROVE RIESLING (SOUTH AFRICA) served with Mango Kulfi or Rice Pudding.

My wife and I went to Raw Silk the other evening for dinner. We had Onion Bhaji for an appetizer, which we both liked. For the main course we shared Tandoori Chicken (served with rice, daal, and chutney), and an order of Chicken Tikka Masala. We were disappointed in the taste of the Tikka Masala, but the Tandori Chicken was very good. The service was a little slow, but perhaps that is because we were there fairly early, about 6:30. You can find menus, prices, etc. on-line at http://www.rawsilkalexandria.com/. If you like Indian food you can get a good meal at a reasonable price here.

I've been here twice, and I think both times were under different owners (but can't be sure).

The first time when close to when it first opened. Food was great, if a bit pricier than other Indian places in the area (in fact, I would say it's only a couple dollars cheaper than Rasika's entrees!). But I had a great lamb curry that tasted much more complex and flavorful than what I've had at other Indian restaurants in the District and NoVa, and I left with a good impression. My friend had the biryani and was very pleased (she's Indian and prefers her mom's biryani, but she said this was a great version as well).

Fast forward to last September. Brought a different friend there. First off, the service was horrendous. Took the waitress forever to get to us to take our drink orders, than took her a full ten minutes to get us water. Left immediately without taking our food order, but came back after another ten minutes (the restaurant was just us and one other party of two). When we finally ordered, my friend got the Chicken tikka masala and I got the lamb curry again. We plit a samosa as appetizer.

The food...I can't even begin to describe it. The samosa was just fennel bursts in tons of undercooked potato. That was the only flavor, and it hit in HUGE, unpleasant bursts throughout the samosa. We didn't even attempt to finish it. The naan...was SWEET and too soft. It was obvious they had used a simple bread dough (possibly pre-made, like the Pillsbury kind) instead of making their own naan.

The chicken tikka masala...tasted like it was made with spaghetti sauce. It had that sweet, basil-y, oregano-y flavor to it in addition to the typical Indian spices. Looked chunky like spaghetti sauce, too. My friend barely managed to eat half of her meal. The lamb curry also tasted like the spaghetti-tikka-masala sauce, only with lots of cream and more spices added.

It also took forever for the waitress to get us the check when we were done, and she never once checked up on us. Our water glasses were empty immediately after the samosa and remained empty until 5 minutes before we asked for the check, and we were forced to sit there for over an hour because of the bad service.

I know I should give a restaurant more chances, but this was like a multitude of sins piled into one experience, so I will definitely not be going back. The service I can forgive if the food was even average enough for me to like (I'm not that picky an eater!), but that was maybe the worst food I've ever paid for in my entire life, and that's saying something.

I really wish there was at least one other Indian option near Old Town that didn't require a car for me to get to, because Raw Silk has fallen way off my radar screen.

I've been here twice, and I think both times were under different owners (but can't be sure).

The first time when close to when it first opened. Food was great, if a bit pricier than other Indian places in the area (in fact, I would say it's only a couple dollars cheaper than Rasika's entrees!). But I had a great lamb curry that tasted much more complex and flavorful than what I've had at other Indian restaurants in the District and NoVa, and I left with a good impression. My friend had the biryani and was very pleased (she's Indian and prefers her mom's biryani, but she said this was a great version as well).

Fast forward to last September. Brought a different friend there. First off, the service was horrendous. Took the waitress forever to get to us to take our drink orders, than took her a full ten minutes to get us water. Left immediately without taking our food order, but came back after another ten minutes (the restaurant was just us and one other party of two). When we finally ordered, my friend got the Chicken tikka masala and I got the lamb curry again. We plit a samosa as appetizer.

It appears that Raw Silk may have indeed changed ownership, but I can't confirm it (it's 4:30 AM, and I doubt they're open). The website is not currently working. Does anyone know?

It appears that Raw Silk may have indeed changed ownership, but I can't confirm it (it's 4:30 AM, and I doubt they're open). The website is not currently working. Does anyone know?

Happened to walk by today at lunch and they are closed. Small sign in window says The Pita House coming soon - not sure if it is the same Pita House located on Cameron Street.

Happened to walk by today at lunch and they are closed. Small sign in window says The Pita House coming soon - not sure if it is the same Pita House located on Cameron Street.

According to the Pita House website, they are moving to this location sometime this spring.