Ghana Cafe, Moved from Adams Morgan to 14th Street and Rhode Island Avenue near Logan Circle - Closed

From a little rag called the Adams Morgan Main Street Newsletter (dated June 2009, but just appearing in my email box today):

It was goodbye to a longtime ethnic venue, the authentic Ghana Café, as owner Anthony Opare reported he lost his lease. We
hear that a new tenant is in the works, possibly a Ray's Hell Burgers made famous by President Obama's visit in May.

Anything behind this rumor?

Similar to Yazuzu, their website no longer exists, so for now I'm assuming that they're permanently closed until I hear otherwise.

Ghana Cafe is moving 14th and RI Ave, just across the street from ChurchKey/Birch and Barley. At least that's according the banner that was up the last time I walked by.

Ghana Cafe is moving 14th and RI Ave, just across the street from ChurchKey/Birch and Barley. At least that's according the banner that was up the last time I walked by.

I heard from Tony Opare himself, and (reprinted with his permission) here is the status in his own words:

"Don,

Yes, indeed, Ghana Cafe is almost ready to open. Sorry, it has taken us too long to complete renovation and inspections.

But, rest assured that we're close to reopening at Logan Circle. The address is: 1336 14th Street, NW Washington, DC 20005.

Thanks

Tony "

So, happily, it's a go!

We have had the lunch special at Ghana Cafe twice recently. Both times the place was empty (Saturdays) which is a shame. This is slow-cooked, soul-satisfying home cooking. The lunch special, which is less than $9, offers several choices. I had a plate of beans/rice (wakye), chicken curry and fried plantain. Ask for the house-made hot sauce if you want more spice. The beans and rice reminded me a bit of really good New Orleans red beans and rice in flavor. They seem to be cooked together, giving the rice a lot of color and saucy goodness. The chicken curry contained a whole piece of bone-in chicken (thigh) which was falling off the bone tender. And the plantains were just fine.

WIth all the pomp and circumstance in many of the places around the Logan/14th/U area (Estadio, I'm talking to you - but that's another review), it's so refreshing to find a place which is just about a family serving the food they know and love. If you are in the area, please visit this place so it survives! And it's on the 14th street circulator bus route!

I stopped in today for a bowl of red red (bean-based stew), some plantain and a chat with Tony, Abigail and their son Peter. As always, good hearty food and gracious service. A bit quirky and unpredictable at times, but well worth a visit. They recently catered an event at my office and the foes was hot, tasty, on-time and very reasonably priced. I recommend them highly.