Costco Steaks

Joe H

I had a really interesting experience with the cut of strip steak that we brought home a couple of weeks ago from Ray's. I tried a taste of it the next morning alongside of a taste of a Prime Costco (yes, Costco Prime!) and there was no comparison: the Costco was better. Note that I coated the Costco Prime with Badia Coltibuono olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning and cooked it over charcoal in a Weber but still, I was shocked that it really WAS more flavorful than the cut from Ray's. I would even add that I had three bites of each and asked my wife to sample also, that I was so surprised. I should note that there was no Diablo sauce, no blue cheese, no grilled onions-rather, it was just beef to beef.

I have always maintained that there is no better steak (or burger) than one cooked at home over a Weber grill fired with charcoal. I also have no doubt that Joe can cook a mean steak.

I also always recommend Montreal seasoning.

I'd say that his observations are perfectly valid and his results completely unsurprising.

(For what it's worth, by the way, I'd love for the Ray's thread to not be the reason people don't feel comfortable participating in this forum).

I have always maintained that there is no better steak (or burger) than one cooked at home over a Weber grill fired with charcoal. I also have no doubt that Joe can cook a mean steak.

I also always recommend Montreal seasoning.

I'd say that his observations are perfectly valid and his results completely unsurprising.

(For what it's worth, by the way, I'd love for the Ray's thread to not be the reason people don't feel comfortable participating in this forum).

Hi Michael, I never tried Montreal seasoning but I do agree with you that I have no doubt that Joe can cook a mean steak. Joe seems to be one of those people who are competent at pretty much everything they do.

I already know that Michael has incredible meat, and my personal experience is that Costco has not had incredible meat in the past, thus, to me, the interesting question is, "is it possible to buy good meat at Costco?"

Which may well be the topic of an entirely different thread.

Staying more on topic, would you care to state what charcoal you like in your Weber grill? I can't think of anybody whose recommendation I'd give more credence.

Hi Michael, I never tried Montreal seasoning but I do agree with you that I have no doubt that Joe can cook a mean steak. Joe seems to be one of those people who are competent at pretty much everything they do.

I already know that Michael has incredible meat, and my personal experience is that Costco has not had incredible meat in the past, thus, to me, the interesting question is, "is it possible to buy good meat at Costco?"

Which may well be the topic of an entirely different thread.

Staying more on topic, would you care to state what charcoal you like in your Weber grill? I can't think of anybody whose recommendation I'd give more credence.

Ilaine, I believe the Badia Coltibuono olive oil (which is $25.00+ for 16.9 ounces) is more important than the Montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and let it stand in a refrigerator for several hours first. As someone else noted Schwartz's in Montreal is better than McCormick's and can be ordered on line. Still, from my experience the best olive oil you can find in combination with prime beef and the Weber is the key-not the steak seasoning. Also, Fairfax is the only Costco I have ever found prime beef at.

Ilaine, I believe the Badia Coltibuono olive oil (which is $25.00+ for 16.9 ounces) is more important than the Montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and let it stand in a refrigerator for several hours first. As someone else noted Schwartz's in Montreal is better than McCormick's and can be ordered on line. Still, from my experience the best olive oil you can find in combination with prime beef and the Weber is the key-not the steak seasoning. Also, Fairfax is the only Costco I have ever found prime beef at.

Do you let the olive oil and the seasoning stand on the meat for an hour, or just the olive oil?

I'm a fan of Costco's flank steak. I sear/grill about 2 a month and use the leftovers for sandwiches and entree salads etc. I just use salt and pepper to cook them, and occasionally Mr. MV uses A-1 for dipping. Oy, what can I say? (I kind of like the stuff now and then too :rolleyes: )

Also, Fairfax is the only Costco I have ever found prime beef at.

The Pentagon City Costco sometimes carries one or two cuts of prime beef. It occupies a pretty small section of the meat cooler, so I find I have to look pretty carefully at the labelling to locate it.

<snip> occasionally Mr. MV uses A-1 for dipping. Oy, what can I say? (I kind of like the stuff now and then too :rolleyes: )

Have you tried Pik-a-peppa? That's our go-to steak sauce. It has greater depth of flavor, is thicker and spicier--better than A-1 IMO. We rarely use it on Costco steaks, however, which have plenty of flavor when spice-rubbed and charcoal grilled. We used to get Costco sirloin, which has always been very reasonable. Lately, however, I've more often been buying rib-eye and porterhouse.

:rolleyes:

Have you tried Pik-a-peppa? That's our go-to steak sauce. It has greater depth of flavor, is thicker and spicier--better than A-1 IMO. We rarely use it on Costco steaks, however, which have plenty of flavor when spice-rubbed and charcoal grilled. We used to get Costco sirloin, which has always been very reasonable. Lately, however, I've more often been buying rib-eye and porterhouse.

I've never heard of Pik-a-peppa-where do you get it? Growing up, I used A-1 with steak all the time. We ate our steaks well-done, so all the flavor was cooked out. Still now, even though I like my steak med. rare, I may use steak sauce from time to time. It's a childhood thing. Actually, I like steak sauce on a baked potato.

My brother still eats his steak well done. When he and his family visited 2 years ago, I bought strip steaks from Costco, and practically cried as I grilled the life out of them :huh: for my guests, whom I wanted to please.

(frowny up top was unintentional)

I've never heard of Pik-a-peppa-where do you get it? Growing up, I used A-1 with steak all the time. We ate our steaks well-done, so all the flavor was cooked out. Still now, even though I like my steak med. rare, I may use steak sauce from time to time. It's a childhood thing. Actually, I like steak sauce on a baked potato.

My brother still eats his steak well done. When he and his family visited 2 years ago, I bought strip steaks from Costco, and practically cried as I grilled the life out of them :huh: for my guests, whom I wanted to please.

(frowny up top was unintentional)

A friend of mine used to put Pik-a-Peppa on cream cheese and spread it on your basic grocery store "gourmet" crackers. Excellent stuff. I believe I've seen it at Whole Foods and possibly at Harris Teeter.

Not to put my tongue too far up Landrumm's butt, but the occasions when I've shelled out for on raw beef from Rays to be cooked at home, it has prven itself to be a superior product as good or better than the cow Mrs. B snmuggles home from our old butcher shop in Denver.

I've never heard of Pik-a-peppa-where do you get it?

I love that stuff. I just buy it at the grocery store--Giant, I imagine. It takes me a while to use it, so I don't buy it real often. IMO, it's the fruit in it--the mango, tamarind, raisin component--that makes it so good.

I love that stuff. I just buy it at the grocery store--Giant, I imagine. It takes me a while to use it, so I don't buy it real often. IMO, it's the fruit in it--the mango, tamarind, raisin component--that makes it so good.

It sounds delicious. When I googled Pik-a-peppa, Waitman's suggestion of combining it with cream cheese seem to be quite popular at tailgating parties. Good idea for football watching on the couch too.

The Gaithersburg Costco has had prime beef irregularly in the past, though when they do carry it, it's most often in the form of standing rib roasts, not steaks.

I should think that a good sharp knife and two minutes of your time would be all that's required to fix that.

Why would I want to fix it - love it in rib roast form!

Me too, but it was you who mentioned it was "only available in rib roast form." I was only pointing out that, if one wants steaks and not the roast, no problema!

Just about any roast is automatically also steaks, with a trivial amount of extra prep. In fact, if one wants steak, buying them as a roast is often an excellent way to go.

I have always had very good results with the steaks from Costco. I recently tried their Prime Ribeye and did not find it to be considerably different in quality than their Choice Ribeye. In addition to Ribeye steaks from Costco, I frequently buy Flank steak, Ribs and Short Ribs from them. All are good and a bargain to boot

Something new in the Frederick Costco - they are now selling Prime beef in the meat section..Nice!

Speaks volumes about the pace that it must be selling at in traditional markets when Costco rolls this out in multiple stores.

I get my Costco prime in the Springfield location. The good side of a down economy is that the big steak houses no longer buy up all the prime meats. Costco and Wegman's have been carrying them for a good two years now. I don't know what will happen when the economy improves, but I'm enjoying it now while it lasts...!