Dining in Logan Circle

With Masa 14 and Birch & Barley opening, Logan Circle/U Street all of a sudden is becoming a contender for best restaurant neighborhood in the city.

Congrats to Sebastian, MJ, Mark, Adam and the whole group putting this together, we're looking forward to it!.

With Masa 14 and Birch & Barley opening, Logan Circle/U Street all of a sudden is becoming a contender for best restaurant neighborhood in the city.

I think a distinction needs to be made between Logan Circle and U Street. Right now, the Logan Circle area is a terrible place to dine. I remember a few months ago, I met a friend at 15 Ria, thinking that I'd surely be able to raise it above Posto in the Logan Circle area of the Dining Guide. Nope, it was not to be (at least Posto has a nice atmosphere and decent wines). In fact, when Birch and Barley opened yesterday, I had to put it somewhere on that list for initial coverage - I stuck it behind Posto as the #2 restaurant in Logan Circle, because I couldn't see putting it below 15 Ria, and thought to myself, 'man, this sure isn't saying much for the area.' Hopefully with some new openings, Logan Circle will join P Street in West Dupont as a leader in the next wave of the DC Dining renaissance.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I think a distinction needs to be made between Logan Circle and U Street. Right now, the Logan Circle area is a terrible place to dine. I remember a few months ago, I met a friend at 15 Ria, thinking that I'd surely be able to raise it above Posto in the Logan Circle area of the Dining Guide. Nope, it was not to be (at least Posto has a nice atmosphere and decent wines). In fact, when Birch and Barley opened yesterday, I had to put it somewhere on that list for initial coverage - I stuck it behind Posto as the #2 restaurant in Logan Circle, because I couldn't see putting it below 15 Ria, and thought to myself, 'man, this sure isn't saying much for the area.' Hopefully with some new openings, Logan Circle will join P Street in West Dupont as a leader in the next wave of the DC Dining renaissance.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I guess a better description of the area that I'm talking about is 14th Street stretching from Thomas Circle to right above U Street, but your point is a fair one.

Using DPop's definition, another new place opening up: Crepes on the Corner in the original Garden District location @ 14th & S.

looking forward to trying Birch & Barley. A place that's not in the dining guide is ThaiTanic... which I personally like better than Rice, particularly when taking price into consideration.

So Don, I guess just looking at where other places are placed in neighborhoods in the dining guide, we're using a definition for Logan Circle of roughly 16th Street to the west, 10th Street to the east, Corcoran (or maybe R) to the north, and Mass (or maybe N) to the south?

Using DPop's definition, another new place opening up: Crepes on the Corner in the original Garden District location @ 14th & S.

looking forward to trying Birch & Barley. A place that's not in the dining guide is ThaiTanic... which I personally like better than Rice, particularly when taking price into consideration.

So Don, I guess just looking at where other places are placed in neighborhoods in the dining guide, we're using a definition for Logan Circle of roughly 16th Street to the west, 10th Street to the east, Corcoran (or maybe R) to the north, and Mass (or maybe N) to the south?

[i'm trying to figure out a way to split "East Downtown" and "Logan Circle" among possible other categories. if someone wants to look at the existing Dining Guide for those areas, then figure out some official street boundaries, I'm very open to revising what's in there. Just let me know. Cheers, and thanks! D.]

Does anyone know why they call the Thomas Circle Area "Logan Circle?"

I guess this was in place before the development of 14UP (which nobody uses but me, but I'm going to continue to use, because it describes the area north of that exactly (and it's a hell of a lot better than DUMBO)).

26 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Does anyone know why they call the Thomas Circle Area "Logan Circle?"

I guess this was in place before the development of 14UP (which nobody uses but me, but I'm going to continue to use, because it describes the area north of that exactly (and it's a hell of a lot better than DUMBO)).

The Washington Post has the eastern neighborhood boundary as 16th Street, running right through Scott Circle.  Neighborhood profile: Logan Circle, by Audrey Hoffer, August 9, 2013, on washingtonpost.com.  The Logan Circle Community Association concurs with this demarcation.

3 minutes ago, dcs said:

The Washington Post has the eastern neighborhood boundary as 16th Street, running right through Scott Circle.  Neighborhood profile: Logan Circle, by Audrey Hoffer, August 9, 2013, on washingtonpost.com.  The Logan Circle Community Association concurs with this demarcation.

I guess it's because Logan Circle is the larger one, and the area was named before all the 14th Street development.