La Miche, Bethesda - Closed

Since Paris and Toulouse are not in my travel plans this winter, I have had to satisfy my annual winter urge for cassoulet with local DC restaurants and my own cooking. So far the results are very mixed. Over the last month I have had cassoulet at Bistrot du Coin, Bistrot Lepic, Les Halles, and La Miche (Bethesda).

I walked by La Miche's space today and noticed there was brown paper papering up every last window and door.

Are they remodeling or just a victim of the economy?

I walked by La Miche's space today and noticed there was brown paper papering up every last window and door.

Pool Boy, it doesn't look good. I can't say for sure, but have read on a number of sites that it is closed. On the other hand, last spring, I recall that it was closed temporarily and there was no sign on the door. (:

La Miche closed many months ago. At the request of chef-owner Jason Tepper, I didn't say anything about it here. I decided that if anyone else broke the news, I'd let it stand, but I wasn't going to do it myself.

Cheers,

Rocks.

La Miche closed many months ago. At the request of chef-owner Jason Tepper, I didn't say anything about it here. I decided that if anyone else broke the news, I'd let it stand, but I wasn't going to do it myself.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The guy who used to own cafe express across the street, is opening a beer and wine store and made mention of a potential diner.... Yawn.... for Bethesda. Was a great corner/classic restaurant space, to soon be a lottery ticket, beer and wine selling, flourescent light fixture type store. Too bad.

The guy who used to own cafe express across the street, is opening a beer and wine store and made mention of a potential diner.... Yawn.... for Bethesda. Was a great corner/classic restaurant space, to soon be a lottery ticket, beer and wine selling, flourescent light fixture type store. Too bad.

Dang.

Found in my email inbox tonight, looks like Jason has signed onto Hooked in Sterling:

PRESS RELEASE

November 13, 2009

For Immediate Release

============================================

Hooked Snags Award-Winning Executive Chef

Jason Tepper to Lead Expansion

STERLING, VIRGINIA- November 13, 2009 - Hooked is pleased to announce the hiring of Executive Chef Jason Tepper. For the past 7 years, Tepper has been the General Manager and Executive Chef of Bethesda, MD restaurant La Miche, voted "Most Romantic" and "Best French" Restaurant in Montgomery County. Chef Tepper was also nominated "Chef of the Year" by the Restaurant Association of Maryland.

Hooked Managing Partner Doug Palley said, "We're extremely fortunate to team up with Chef Tepper. His culinary skills and experience will help expand our menu and enhance our guests' dining experience".

Tepper began his career in the mid-90's as a student at the Culinary Institute of America in New York. While pursuing his degree, he worked summers on Long Island where he learned every aspect of preparing fresh seafood and had an externship at the famous New Orleans Bourbon Street restaurant Galatoire's. Upon graduation, his talents were quickly utilized at the world renowned Inn at Little Washington. His ascending career led him to positions with Bethesda Country Club, Legal Seafoods, and Sea Catch Restaurant. In the spring of 2000, Oceanaire Seafood Room hired him as the Executive Chef to open the downtown DC location. Within a year, the restaurant was voted "Best New Seafood Restaurant" by Washingtonian Magazine.

"Being an integral part of an opening is one of the most exciting aspects of working as an Executive Chef in this business. We've taken the best of the previous menu and expanded upon it that will deliver an unparalleled dining experience in the region".

Hooked has been consistently ranked the Best Seafood Restaurant in the DC Area by OpenTable.com Diners. Hooked offers traditional Japanese style sushi, and only the freshest prepared seafood that is flown in daily and butchered on site. Hooked relocated from a small restaurant in Sterling, VA to new facility in Sterling last month. The restaurant seats over 200, has two large chef tasting tables, an expanded sushi and raw bar, and outdoor dining for over 100.

# # #