Michael's Noodles, Taiwanese in Travilah Square Shopping Center in North Rockville - Closed

You are correct - there isn't an existing thread. It's on my list and darnit that I didn't go before the review came out, as it's hard to travel up to Darnestown area of MD for me. I think it would be worth trying the Hainan Chicken rice, as, if done well, is really, really tasty. I would be more venturing toward the Taiwanese dishes, since that would be my purpose for going there. Please do report back, though when you do go, or let me know, as it's more fun going in a group (Bueller, Bueller?).

I could not find a thread for this restaurant. I'm curious about it as it's very near my house and it made Sietsema's restaurant guide for 2009. Has anyone been there? Can you recommend any particular dishes? Any other advice? Thanks.

I was there last week. We had the fried wontons, shredded pork with garlic and the seafood hot pot. It was all quite tasty, comparable to HKP, the standout dish was the pork. The place is also distinguished by the pulchritude of the staff. It's a bit of a hike, though.

You are correct - there isn't an existing thread. It's on my list and darnit that I didn't go before the review came out, as it's hard to travel up to Darnestown area of MD for me. I think it would be worth trying the Hainan Chicken rice, as, if done well, is really, really tasty. I would be more venturing toward the Taiwanese dishes, since that would be my purpose for going there. Please do report back, though when you do go, or let me know, as it's more fun going in a group (Bueller, Bueller?).

This has been a family favorite for quite a while -- another "strip mall" gem that my parents turned me on to. My father has followed the chef from restaurant to restaurant in the area for about 20 years.

Favorites:

• Szechuan wontons
  • Soy/Vegetarian chicken (I always get an extra order to bring home)
  • Steamed vegetable dumplings
  • Steamed pork buns (though not soup dumplings)
  • Beef tendon with hot sauce
  • Shredded pork with fresh chili peppers
  • Salted fish and chicken fried rice (a Cantonese dish, but done very well at this Taiwanese place)
  • Hainan chicken (their specialty - simple, but good sauce)

I'm Chinese, my husband is a French chef and his daughter is a finicky eater, especially when it comes to Asian food. They both love the place as much as I do -- and stepdaughter's favorite dishes are the veg/soy chicken and salted fish fried rice, not a "babysitter" Americanized dish. In fact, don't bother ordering anything remotely Americanized -- it's inedible... a good sign!

We had an extended family dinner there the day after the Wash Post review and they were unbelievably overwhelmed. But time has passed and it's gone back to a regular crowd. Small place, so if you're going to be a table of more than 4, make a reservation.

We live in DC, so it's a hike to get there and we don't go nearly as often as we'd like because of that -- but it's well worth the drive when I'm homesick for good Chinese food. If you haven't gone yet, try it. I'd be interested in what you think...

Good brunch venue. It's a little farther away than A&J and Joe's (less than 10 minutes farther from McLean) but well worth the extra time. Had some soup dumplings, potstickers, and spicy wontons. The spicy wontons' sauce was really flavorless despite a heavy coating of red oil slick. The soup dumplings were good but not oozing with juice like Din Tai Fung's. They're also not as good as Joe's Shanghai in NYC (according to my bro who lives in NJ). We also tried their clear beef noodle soup and dan dan noodles. The place is known for their hand made noodles and both dishes were quite good. The beef noodle soup was particularly good, whether as a result of MSG or not, we're not so certain. The dan dan noodle is made with dry shredded pork, something we've never seen before (yet it's strangely tasty). The you tiao was crispy with no aftertaste.

Do you know if the chef's left or something? We went out there a few months ago for lunch on a Sunday and ordered our "regulars" - just about everything we ordered wasn't up to the usual standard... Maybe he wasn't there that day? We were bummed and haven't been back since.

p.s. I agree w/you on the dan dan noodles - never had it before with dried, shredded pork either and had the same reaction.

p.s. I agree w/you on the dan dan noodles - never had it before with dried, shredded pork either and had the same reaction.

FWIW, I like the traditional version (i.e., the one served at A&J) much better.

My parents and I ate here twice while they were visiting from Beijing last month. We generally get a noodle dish or two with several appetizers. The salty squid and sliced pork with garlic side dishes are my favorites here by far. The noodles are merely so-so in my opinion. And I would not recommend the beef chao fun (which tasted a bit "off"). It's much better at Pacifica Cafe.

My parents and I ate here twice while they were visiting from Beijing last month. We generally get a noodle dish or two with several appetizers. The salty squid and sliced pork with garlic side dishes are my favorites here by far. The noodles are merely so-so in my opinion. And I would not recommend the beef chao fun (which tasted a bit "off"). It's much better at Pacifica Cafe.

I agree with sb, the chao fun always seems a little "off" here, for one reason or another. I'm almost ashamed to admit that my favorite Gaithersburg chao fun is from Mama Wok, :) though I'm not sure I would order anything else there.

I do love the Singapore noodles at Michael's, definitely the best Gaithersburg has to offer.

I agree with sb, the chao fun always seems a little "off" here, for one reason or another. I'm almost ashamed to admit that my favorite Gaithersburg chao fun is from Mama Wok

The beef chao fun at Pacifica Cafe is actually my favorite in the area.

We had dinner here on Tuesday, and actually had to wait for 10-15 minutes because the place was packed around 7:30. Apart from our standard favorites, the beef noodle soup broth was rich but on the oily side. Rice cakes were decent. Shredded beef with sha cha sauce was disappointingly bland.

I eat at Michael's about once a week. As a creature of habit I always order some combination of the beef soup, Shanghai noodles, double cooked pork, or salt and pepper white fish. I love this place for the pure simple pleasure of the comfort food that they serve and their always welcoming and gracious staff. Tonight, on a whim, I ordered their salt and pepper duck. It was delicious and quite the bargain at $12 and some change for a whole duck. The meat itself was just how duck should be: crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Despite the fact that the mall surrounding Michael's appears to be somewhat in a decline, I am encouraged that this restaurant always seems to be well patronized with regulars. If you haven't been to Michael's in a while, it might be worth another look.

We were here for dinner on Christmas and had a disappointing experience. The place was packed but fortunately we had a reservation. But Michael's is small so much of the meal we had people standing in line behind our table. They were out of drinking glasses, so some of us couldn't get water. They had glasses for tea but I wanted sweetener for mine. It wasn't until the end of the meal that I finally got it. I was with 7 others and I will admit that they weren't adventurous diners so we were stuck with some traditional dishes. Crispy eggplant had more breading than eggplant. I tried to order a lamb dish I had read about but the waitress had no idea what I was talking about and we finally had to settle on a really mediocre hunan lamb. The dan dan noodles were interesting- I didn't expect shredded pork on top. Then again neither did the vegetarians at the table. We had two orders of chicken with pickled cabbage, which were delivered separately. The first order was just okay. For some reason the second order was much better and we could actually taste the pickled cabbage- which wasn't the case the first time around. Most unfortunate- they were out of fortune cookies too. If Michael's Noodles was closer to where I lived or worked I might be compelled to try it again. But it's not, so I won't.

I was in the vicinity for a client meeting so I stopped in for lunch. As usual, I ordered way more food than I can eat in sitting. I started with some cold marinated jellyfish, and the husband/wife lung slices. The jellyfish was decent - the texture was a little crunchy as it should be, but I think the seasoning was a little mild? It definitely had enough salt, but perhaps not enough sesame oil. The beef, tripe, and tendon combo was in a pretty salty and oily sauce but there were no numbing spices. It looks like it would burn your mouth off but it really wasn't very spicy. I also tried their spicy tofu mixed noodles (in Chinese it's numbing spicy tofu mixed noodles). This I really enjoyed because the noodles, which are handmade, are delicious. It's basically a good mapo tofu mixed with some broad noodles. I was very tempted to try their Shanghai noodles (w/ shredded pork and cabbage) as well. My last dish was stir-fried Chinese watercress (aka - empty heart/stem plant or ong choy) with fermented bean curd. Fermented bean curd, like the dreaded 1,000 year old egg, isn't for everyone, but I love it. The general issue is whether they try to serve too much of the tough stems in order to be more profitable. In this case, there're some stems but it wasn't a plate full of stems.

... the husband/wife lung slices ... mixed with some broad noodles ...

What is a "wife lung slice?" And is it really able to co-exist with broad noodles?

[A perfect example of a post-midnight post that will be deleted, mercifully, in the morning.]

Went here last night with the family. For my two sons this is adventerous dining. Food was pleasant and most important we would go back. We had

Steam Dumpling-good preperation

Noodles with spicy pork-Very good dish

Orange Chicken-Too breaded for my taste, old sons loved it

Moo Shoo Pork - Just okay though younger son liked it

Very close to my house and I'd consider it again.

Saw this on Facebook.  Didn't even remember that I "liked" them.  I haven't been to Mama Wok in over 10 years.

"To our former customers, we are happy to let everyone know that Wai has started working/managing Mama Wok (9900 Key W Ave #C, Rockville, MD 20850). Many of your favorite dishes including the from Michael's Noodles are now available at Mama Wok! She is excited to see all of you soon!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Saw this on Facebook.  Didn't even remember that I "liked" them.  I haven't been to Mama Wok in over 10 years.

"To our former customers, we are happy to let everyone know that Wai has started working/managing Mama Wok (9900 Key W Ave #C, Rockville, MD 20850). Many of your favorite dishes including the from Michael's Noodles are now available at Mama Wok! She is excited to see all of you soon!"

I had stopped visiting MaMa Wok.  It used to be my go-to neighborhood spot.  Now there is a reason to head back there.