Holiday Baking

monavano

Mr. MV and I are headed to a Holiday Brunch today, and I offered to bring some desserts. Here's a platter with rum balls (potent!), pizzelles (traditional anise) and a real throw-back; a Harvey Wallbanger cake*,**.

4182108632_39f3a3f5f5.jpg

I've also made molasses-ginger cookies (from this WaPo recipe, using fresh Next Step ginger) and cranberry biscotti.

What are you making?

*this is an old recipe that my mother used-and she made this cake a lot. It was a favorite and always asked after. The recipe comes from a Rival Crock Pot cookbook from 1965. I also have mom's old cylindrical crock pot and the "Bread'n Cake Bake" insert. The old insert doesn't fit into most newer styles of crocks.

** And, yes. The cake is shaped like a mushroom :angry: .

Beautiful as always monavano!

This weekend was making gingerbread cookies, but need a new ground ginger supply - it lacked kick. :{ Also some lemon-glazed shortbread cookies. Great activity with kids, as gelittleman helped roll out the dough, cut the cookies and place them on the cookie sheet.

ETA: Care to share the cake recipe monavano?? Thank you.

Edited by goodeats

For last night's Chrismukkah Latkextravangza:

Pecan squares -- these disappeared amidst protestations of "Oh my god these are good." Thank goodness I saved the broken ones (also known as "shnibbles" in my household) for myself, to eat tonight. :angry:

Jam thumbprint cookies -- strawberry and apricot. The apricot ones were barely touched, but I only have one strawberry one left. Odd.

rum balls (potent!), pizzelles (traditional anise)

monavano -- I think I would shove someone aside to get to those rum balls, they look so good. :lol: Do you have a pizzelle press? Those are gorgeous, too -- I love the design on them.

I made the Christmas fruitcakes and am dousing them with rum (Barillitos two star) twice a day. The dried fruit macerated in rum for a year, and I'll put next year's in the jar this week after I hit Costco. There used to be just one fruitcake that got sent to my Dad, but then Mr. lperry tried it one year.... and now there are two. :angry:

Beautiful as always monavano!

This weekend was making gingerbread cookies, but need a new ground ginger supply - it lacked kick. :{ Also some lemon-glazed shortbread cookies. Great activity with kids, as gelittleman helped roll out the dough, cut the cookies and place them on the cookie sheet.

ETA: Care to share the cake recipe monavano?? Thank you.

Harvey Wallbanger Cake

1 package pound cake mix

3 1/2 ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix

1/2 cup salad oil

4 eggs

1/2 cup Galiano liqueur

3/4 cup orange juice

Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into greased and floured Bread 'n Cake Bake and cover. Bake in covered Crock Pot on High for 2-3 hours. Remove cake and dust with powdered sugar.

Just to note, I tried to make this in the Bread n' Cake Bake in the oven...and it came out hollow. Literally, hollow. It was the oddest thing... :angry:

I'm not sure time will permit much baking this year, but I will at least make biscochitos for the annual hanging-small-liquor-bottles-on-the-tree party. I made molasses cookies for a co-worker's cookie bake on Saturday, and this morning's project was miniature ham biscuits for the office party.

The dough is chilling for my Grandmother's thumbprint cookies. It's the first time I've made them since I lost her, and it feels strange to be doing it on my own. For reasons never explained to me, even though it is written in the recipe, these don't get the jam added in. There was certainly never a shortage of jam, so someone must have preferred them jamless, and it became a tradition.

The dough is chilling for my Grandmother's thumbprint cookies. It's the first time I've made them since I lost her, and it feels strange to be doing it on my own. For reasons never explained to me, even though it is written in the recipe, these don't get the jam added in. There was certainly never a shortage of jam, so someone must have preferred them jamless, and it became a tradition.

How beautiful that you mirrored the tradition, especially since this is the first time she is not able to advise.

Savor the flavor, along with the memories of yesterday and tomorrow's cherished experiences.

pizzelle

angel food cake with Tahitian vanilla cream cheese icing (for the nephews, who like their sweets plain)

tipsy cake: genoise layered with rum, black raspberry preserves, vanilla custard and iced with whipped cream (for the adults)

apple pie (for MIL, who can't eat eggs)

I seem not to have a trifle bowl, which means the tipsy cake is going to have to be assembled in the large bowl of my Sunbeam stand mixer.

Does anyone know if cream cheese icing keeps in the freezer?

I'm working on a cranberry tea bread, which is going to be served with Meyer lemon curd tonight. I made the curd a few days ago.

We still have a lot of cookies from earlier baking (chocolate chip and cranberry-orange-walnut), so I decided against baking more cookies. I may bake some closer to New Year's.

Will get going on Sweet Potato Rolls for dinner after I get the cake in the oven.

Scandinavian...

Julbord. - Swedish Christmas table.

Glögg - Blackout juice

Tre sorters sill - Three kinds of pickled herring

Matjes sill - Brined herring

Rökt lax - Smoked salmon

Sill salad - Herring salad

Grav lax - Cured salmon

Jansons frestelse - Janson’s temptation

Prins korv - Prince sausage

Julskinka - Christmas ham

Köttbullar - Swedish meatballs

Rödkål - Red cabbage

Rödbetor - Pickled beets

Gurksallad - Cumucber salad

Lingon - Lingonberries

Ris a là Malta - Rice porridge

Små kakor - Small cookies

Linie akvavit, chilling.

4214172948_a9da06937c.jpg

Herring and salmon varieties.

4214182678_dfd3e9d62d.jpg

Christmas picnic ham in Swedish aspic and 24% ättiksprit pickled cauliflower.

4213510811_8fecd83cfb.jpg

Assorted sweets.

4213484397_dffd4482bd.jpg