Suckling Pig

mdt

Looking into different was to make a suckling pig I noticed many folks brine before roasting. My past times making suckling pig have been very good and brine free. Is there any strong reason to brine the piggy this time? Will brining affect how crispy I can get the skin?

I typically stuff the pig with a normal stuffing mixture of bread, liver, onions, etc. Any creative holiday suggestions?

I think brining takes away from the pure taste of the pork...but that's just me. We usually cook one or two every Christmas Eve in a Caja China. They are usually very juicy.

If you must brine, I would let it dry out in the fridge or outside (since it is so cold) a few hours after brining and before roasting to assure moisture has left the skin.

I think brining takes away from the pure taste of the pork...but that's just me. We usually cook one or two every Christmas Eve in a Caja China. They are usually very juicy.

If you must brine, I would let it dry out in the fridge or outside (since it is so cold) a few hours after brining and before roasting to assure moisture has left the skin.

I am either going to roast it in the oven or on my grill (depending on weather and motivation). I will certainly let it dry at least overnight if I do brine.

No stuffing suggestions from anyone?

We inject the marinade (mojo criollo)... Though I have never had a stuffed suckling pig. Do you sew it back together with twine? Pardon my ignorance!:angry:

Yup, after stuffing it requires a bit of stitching to close the belly back up.

I make a bread stuffing for a pork crown roast with diced Spanish chorizo and apples, moistened with apple cider.

Hmmm, that sounds pretty tasty.

I am either going to roast it in the oven or on my grill (depending on weather and motivation). I will certainly let it dry at least overnight if I do brine.

No stuffing suggestions from anyone?

How big is this bugger? Are you boning it out, stuffing and iinding it?

Pork stuffing:

olive oil

2 large chorizos, sliced then cut in half

1 small onion, diced

1 large Granny Smith, or other firm tart apple, diced

2 C chopped fresh parsley

2-3 C freshly made croutons

2 cloves of garlic, minced

salt & pepper

2 C apple cider

Render chorizo with onion and apple in the olive oil for about 15 mins. Add garlic and saute for a couple more minutes. Add cider, parsley, salt & pepper and bring to a simmer. Pour over bread and toss to moisten. Add a little more cider if it seems dry.

How big is this bugger? Are you boning it out, stuffing and iinding it?

It is around 25lbs. and I am not boning it out. Just stuffing the belly and sewing it up.

Heather that stuffing looks very tasty. I am also thinking of making a stuffing with glutinous rice as the main component to sop up all the juices.