Pastries by Randolph

ktmoomau

I am really quite fond of Pastries by Randolph. They are my go to place to buy desserts and breads when I don't feel like, or have the time for, baking. They have very nice quality full size cakes, the chocolate mousse cake with chocolate shavings is a particular favorite of mine. It is light and gooey in all the right chocolate ways, with dense chocolate cake with just the right amount of moisture to mix well with the mousse. If you really love chocolate- this is the cake for you. I have gotten this so many times now to take to someone's house and it is always devoured.

They also make lovely mini cakes and desserts, cupcakes, fruit tarts, cookies and other assorted pastry and chocolates. Their fruit tarts always have really nice crusts. I am always impressed that everytime I get one it is just right not to hard or soft. They also have a nice selection of holiday favorites. At Easter the place is cute as can be with chocolate rabbits, duck cupcakes and any number of pastel treats. At Christmas they make a beautiful Buche de Noel. And at Valentine's Day the store is so cute with all the red and hearts.

They also have really good breads. Their croissants are wonderful. They are the closest thing to those you get in Paris that I have found in this area. They also make good baguettes and other breads. I have taken a couple pizza breads when I was on the go with no time to eat and they hit the spot as good non-messy road food too.

I have never ordered a custom cake, but they have a book with cakes you can order, and I am sure they do specialty cakes, as well. And the staff has always been professional and very helpful whenever I have had questions.

I have never ordered a custom cake, but they have a book with cakes you can order, and I am sure they do specialty cakes, as well.

The website has a whole section on wedding cakes as well as one on specialty cakes, so they seem pretty all-purpose* as bakeries go, at least based on their site..

*Flour? Anyone? {slinks away in poor-baking-humor shame}

Since moving to Rosslyn, we've become semi-frequent customers here and I echo ktmoomau's thoughts. I particularly like the prices here... regular loaves of bread are $2.75/loaf instead of $5/loaf you see at other places. While perhaps not the type of bread you rave about, it's several steps better than what you get at Giant or Whole Foods for the same or greater cost. On the other hand, the croissants I will rave about... particularly the chocolate ones that actually taste like croissants with dark chocolate in them - instead of flaky chocolate pastries that passes for a chocolate crossant in other places. We've tried a couple of their cakes (raspberry and lemon) that were very tasty... they were birthday cakes and they were able to ice the requisite greetings.

We need to work our way through some of the mini-cakes and pastries - yes, I want to try everything....