Furin's of Georgetown, 28th and M Streets NW - Closed

On Saturday, I took one for the team and conducted part one of what I hope will be my first DC cupcake tour. I had noticed Furin's before when walking through Georgetown. Their window display at the time had a variety of cupcakes. The featured their luscious, large cupcakes with a sign that said "Ours" and next to it a small cupcake that said "theirs." No doubt that they were referencing Georgetown Cupcakes.

We ordered what I think they called cakeolicious: yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting (cost around $3.50). Now, I consider myself to be a cupcake connoisseur and I have to say, that the cake and frosting, both together and separate, were some of the best I have ever tried. The cake was flavorful and moist, and the frosting was just the right amount of chocolatey.

They also offer real food, including brunch and salads that looked really good. But alas, I had to stay focused and on task, so real nutrition will have to wait until next time.

Website is here.

For what it’s worth, Baked and Wired chocolate/peanut butter cupcake was as good as usual, and Georgetown’s vanilla coconut cupcake was the best flavor that I’ve tried so far. However, if I had to pick a winner, it would probably be Furin’s.

So sad that Furin's is closed. I grew up eating there often (and stopping at Bridge Street Books across the street). I even worked there when I was 17. Bernie and Wendy are amazing and I wish them all the best. Thank you, Bernie Furin for all the great times!