America Seafood, Market and Cafe behind Lee Heights Shopping Center in North Arlington - Closed

Has anyone been to this place? The website is enticing. Fresh fish and great sandwiches.

I had a carryout fish sandwich from there once, several years ago, and liked it a lot. It's in the same shopping center as Arrowine, around the back (directly behind Crisp and Juicy). Thanks for prompting me to return - it's been way too long.

Don, there must be a trick to ordering the right fish. I work nearby and go there every once in a while and consistently get a dry, overcooked piece of fish. I have tried the mahi mahi, the grouper when they have it, and the swordfish and it is always overcooked and occasionally not fresh, with that slightly off smell. I theorized that he makes his money on the sale of raw fish with the almost expired fish goes into the sandwiches, but if you had good fish there maybe I am the problem. I really want to like a fish sandwich in the Arlington area, I am reduced to making fish tacos at home and doing it myself is not what I want to do. I like the fries and slaw, the fish, not so much.

I had a carryout fish sandwich from there once, several years ago, and liked it a lot. It's in the same shopping center as Arrowine, around the back (directly behind Crisp and Juicy). Thanks for prompting me to return - it's been way too long.

Don, there must be a trick to ordering the right fish. I work nearby and go there every once in a while and consistently get a dry, overcooked piece of fish. I have tried the mahi mahi, the grouper when they have it, and the swordfish and it is always overcooked and occasionally not fresh, with that slightly off smell. I theorized that he makes his money on the sale of raw fish with the almost expired fish goes into the sandwiches, but if you had good fish there maybe I am the problem. I really want to like a fish sandwich in the Arlington area, I am reduced to making fish tacos at home and doing it myself is not what I want to do. I like the fries and slaw, the fish, not so much.

ziv, I trust your experiences (plural) more than I trust mine (singular, several years old).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I recently tried this place and thought it was terrific. In fact between buying fish there and more recently getting a sandwich there, I think I have been there 4 times in the last three weeks. I inadvertently ended up there a few weeks ago went I had a jones for soft shell crab and there were none at Balducci's, so I ended up continuing down Old Dominion to American Seafood where I got four crabs for a a reasonable $6.00 each. They were very fresh. I also tried their key lime pie which I have to say is the best I have had since living in South Florida. On another visit I bought crab cakes; very, very good but $14 each. Everything in the store is fresh and made on premises. The cole slaw, smoked mussels, squid salad and grouper chowder were all good, especially the mussels that are smoked on premises. A few weeks ago on an urge I stopped by for lunch and after picking up a beer at Arrowine, had a killer grouper sandwich on the deck. The place, from its ratty patio to the fish flow up from Florida is just like the fish shacks in Florida that I used to go to and that is no surprise since the owners are a couple from Key West.

The experiences of the past few weeks have reminded me of what a treasure the little strip of stores in this Lee Hights center is, Arrowine, American Fish, Randolphs Bakery, the Lebanese Market, Crisp and Juicy.... I have also begun regularly buying salumi, ham, cheese and Leonora's baguettes at Arrowine - a place I used to shop in when I lived in Falls Church - but have not been in for years since moving to MClean. Boy have they increased the selection since then! What I love about Arrowine is that they treat all the goods with knowledge and care. When I spend $30/Lb or more for ham, I expect it sliced perfectly and placed on wax paper, not wadded into a ball and tossed into a plastic bag. I feel like a lazy fool for having wasted my money at Balducci's on mediocre cheese and charcuterie, poorly sliced and wrapped and sold by people who don't know the difference between Iberico ham and Boar's Head. (ok, the rant is over now :-)