Syracuse, NY

fuzzy510

I want Dinosaur here.

One of my biggest culinary regrets is not going to Dinosaur either of the two times I was in Syracuse. It'll be practically the first thing I do the next time I'm in Syracuse, but I don't exactly see myself going up there anytime soon.

One of my biggest culinary regrets is not going to Dinosaur either of the two times I was in Syracuse. It'll be practically the first thing I do the next time I'm in Syracuse, but I don't exactly see myself going up there anytime soon.

Dinosaur is good (for Western New York). You can buy Dinosaur BBQ Sauce and other fresh/refrigerated Dinosaur entrees/sides at Wegmans.

Acropolis Pizza!

Is the bar Hungry Chucks still open on the SU Hill?

yum Acropolis.. though I preferred Varsity.

If you are speaking nostalgically- I'm guessing your Chuck's is gone. But after a few years gone- a "new Chuck's" has opened.. maybe in the old Darwin's space.

yum Acropolis.. though I preferred Varsity.

If you are speaking nostalgically- I'm guessing your Chuck's is gone. But after a few years gone- a "new Chuck's" has opened.. maybe in the old Darwin's space.

I remember getting good calzones from Acropolis.

I'm thinking of the Chuck's that was downstairs in a basement. $2 cover for 18-21, 2 for 1 pitchers of Molson for $5. That was a well spent $7!

Zebb's (in Matydale, but close enough) cookies are ridiculous good. My wife went to Syracuse so we make it up there at least once a year, usually more.

A trip to DIno is a must. I still prefer NC BBQ, but DIno is definitely good eats. From what I've heard the location they opened in NYC isn't anywhere near as good. The friends of my wife that had Dino cater their rehearsal dinner, well, those are the best friends in the world :angry:

As for bars, Faegan's and Blue Tusk both have good beer selections (though Feagan's is very much a college bar at night).

A trip to DIno is a must. I still prefer NC BBQ, but DIno is definitely good eats. From what I've heard the location they opened in NYC isn't anywhere near as good. The friends of my wife that had Dino cater their rehearsal dinner, well, those are the best friends in the world ;)

I stayed in Syracuse for four nights earlier this month and went to Dinosaur twice -- apart from the key lime pie, everything was top-notch (especially the brisket). Why isn't there a place in the DC area that's as good? I like KBQ but it's at least a step or two below.

In 'cuse now, might try Dinosaur, but had Chubbys in emmitsburg md on the way up here. The Stacey part of me insists we have dinner at Angotti's- she went there on dates while in 13th - 16th grade. Report to follow from this culinary wonderland.

Tried 3 places:

Community Restaurant - Actually about 25 minutes away in Cortland, this is basic small-town diner fare in a 50's wood-walled setting. The dishes were decent for what they were - we tried the chicken and biscuit special and the chicken souvlaki - but maybe a bit on the bland side as happens sometimes in such places. Prices were reasonable, portions large and service friendly. Been around for decades.

Heid's of Liverpool - a hot dog stand that's also been around for nearly 100 years. This is classic roadfood - a "dogs with snappy casings and fries with gravy" kind of place. The dogs were excellent however the meal is very low brow and inexpensive, think baseball game eating and bring some tums.

Angotti's - family Italian restaurant. Another decades-old standard, Angotti's has OK food (I found I liked the sausage much more than the chicken), excellent prices, Andrew the waiter who was great, and a rough setting, both inside and out. They do basic italian dishes and their sauce is pretty good but the real draw is that you can come in casual dress, have a lot of food brought and dine in a respectable way, yet still only pay like $6.95 an entree. Around us at lunch were a wide range of people, including two older women catching up, a family filling up, some young office workers taking a lunch break and a tax consultant doing the taxes for a few construction workers...(will you use the tools you bought for other jobs? Do you have receipts?...) Was this fine dining? No...the chicken in the cacciatore was pretty tough...but with a heaping portion over ziti noodles and a side sausage for $1, I could forego the chicken and really enjoy the rest. This is the one I'd go back to if I found myself in the neighborhood again. But truth be told, I don't really want to find myself in that neighborhood again.