Hamburger Buns

DanCole42

Har har har. You're all hilarious.

I of course was referring to the MEAT being a quarter pound. What weight bun would I want to use?

I was pointing out that I thought dcs mis-read it. The sentence structure makes it easy to miss the word "bun." :angry:

Rewrite: What should the weight of a single, quarter-pounder-sized, all-American hamburger bun be, prior to baking?

Har har har. You're all hilarious.

I of course was referring to the MEAT being a quarter pound. What weight bun would I want to use?

Judge not by weight.

Judge by textural aim.

Unless you are loading up the space shuttle or something.

(if so)

(pick me up)

(on your way to the moon)

I use 3.5 ounces of dough for hamburger buns, but as KMango pointed out, it will depend on your bun recipe. And, when forming, be sure to flatten out the dough much more than you think you should.

This is sounding dangerously close to a quarter pound. Maybe I should stick with my original answer. :angry:

Hickory BBQed pulled pork (pig from Steve Baker), coleslaw w/ purple cabbage from Garner farm (based on recipe from Ad Hoc), homemade buns, fig and cider vinegar organic BBQ sauce

30022_735238349344_5317785_41565121_1127065_n.jpg

Nice buns :lol:

No, seriously, that looks amazing, and I have a question about the buns. With Mr. MV and me, I shy away from making buns because I'm afraid we won't be able to eat them all while they're fresh. Do they freeze well? Anyone have experience with freezing their burger/sandwich buns?

TIA.

Nice buns :lol:

No, seriously, that looks amazing, and I have a question about the buns. With Mr. MV and me, I shy away from making buns because I'm afraid we won't be able to eat them all while they're fresh. Do they freeze well? Anyone have experience with freezing their burger/sandwich buns?

TIA.

Coming from DR's resident queen of taking amazing photos of incredible food, I am very flattered!

Because buns are usually made with fortified dough (eggs, milk, etc.), they tend to stay fresh (i.e. non-stale) and mold-free for about a week. But you should never really end up with too many buns; it's just as easy to make two as it is to make a dozen. Generally I figure on 50g of flour for one standard, run-of-the-mill burger-sized bun. So just use 100g for two buns, and then baker's percentages to go from there. :D

Or you can just make the full dozen or whatever. They DO freeze very well, or heck - just use the leftovers for french toast or bread pudding. :blink:

...it's just as easy to make two as it is to make a dozen. Generally I figure on 50g of flour for one standard, run-of-the-mill burger-sized bun. So just use 100g for two buns, and then baker's percentages to go from there.

Oh really? Recipe please. Preferably for the "100g for two" buns.

Oh really? Recipe please. Preferably for the "100g for two" buns.

Copied from my PM:

The buns were just a basic pullman loaf recipe, this one from Bread Baker's Apprentice:

Bread Flour 100%

Salt 1.8%

Sugar 7.7%

Instant yeast 1%

Egg 7.7%

Melted butter 7.7%

Milk 62.8%

Rise until doubled, divide into balls, rest 20 minutes, press down, rise until doubled again, bake 15 mins @ 400. (egg wash and sesame seeds optional)

I did make some adjustments, though. I used whey instead of milk (because I still have a ton leftover from cheesemaking). Also, most BBQ places seem to serve their pulled pork on very eggy rolls, so I added a ton of egg yolks (maybe 4 yolks in a batch that made 6 3oz rolls?) and just subtracted out an equivalent weight in milk.