High School Sports Concession Stand

thistle

My son is a high school freshman, playing lacrosse, & his coach put out a request, asking if anyone would run a small concession stand at the Sat. scrimmage this weekend-despite knowing nothing, I volunteered (?!)-the coach just mentioned chips & drinks, I'm thinking the easiest stuff would be those, plus hot dogs (w/ condiments), maybe chili (frito pies, meat & veggie chili), plus easy stuff like candy(cracker jacks) & sunflower seeds-I have plenty of gear-tent, tables, coolers, camp stove, basic knowledge of sanitation (handwashing station & lots of sanitizer), any ideas, hints, things to watch out for? Personally, I'd like to add healthy stuff like fruit, but realistically, knowing my son (& assuming these other kids are like him), they just want sustenance, carb-heavy, forget healthy...

My son's Little League in Lorton has a concession stand that parents run on a rotating basis. It has a gas grill just outside for hot dogs. Everything else is sold from inside the stand, mostly drinks -- Gatorade being most popular, followed by bottled water -- and packaged candy and chips. The "Lorton Special" is a hot dog, chips and soda for $3.00.

But then, if I were in charge, I would contact one of the really good food carts and tell them you have a captive audience of 100 (or whatever) for 2-3 hours, and invite them to send over a cart...what kid doesn't like tacos?

Yeah, right when I started to get all sorts of grandiose ideas about home-cooked goodies, my darling child told me I was 'getting too involved' & unless I wanted to be in charge, to back off. He said the best things would be drinks-gatorade, water, & packaged stuff like chips, sunflower seeds, chewy granola bars...so now, I'm trying to hit the middle line (the thing is, I don't think anyone else has a clue either, so we're flying blind)...

well, color me ecstatic-someone else is taking charge of the concession stand-all I have to do is show up, w/ stuff-aside from a brief moment, when I dreamed of astounding everyone w/ my catered creations, I really had no clue, so this is all for the best...

Took the course, sponsored by the Fairfax Co. Health Dept., for youth athletic concessions this past Thurs. It was actually a good course, 1.5 hours, $25./which could cover a number of people from one org. (I was solo)-most of the material covered I was familiar with, but I have a frig magnet w/ danger zones, several thermometers & test kits.

So, now I'm ready for any sports concessions, as well as food stuff at my husband's unit-we're doing a T'giving potluck on Wed. & a breakfast on Dec. 1st. The most frequently asked ?-why are we all still here? (regarding sanitation, thawing, leaving stuff out, etc...), as well as some interesting stories about restaurant inspections...