Banana Chips

DonRocks

When it comes to nutrition information, ignorance is bliss.

I bought some "Unsweetened Banana Chips" at Whole Foods yesterday. They seemed harmless enough, until I tried one and only tasted bad oil. A quick Google search led me to find that these were most likely deep fried in coconut oil, and contain a ridiculous amount of fat per serving. Tossed 'em.

I bought some "Unsweetened Banana Chips" at Whole Foods yesterday.

This post recalled fond memories of snacks from Ann's House of Nuts back in the '70s, when they were still a local producer (based out of SS/Takoma Park?) and long before they became the corporate trail mix powerhouse that they are today.

And now I see from an anonymous response on HowChow's blog that they sell common spices cheaply, and have moved the outlet to Columbia. Hmmm. I sense a Daedalus / Ann's run in my future.

My wife just made a batch of banana chips on Sunday, only took 10 hours in the dehydrator and the resulting chips are delicious.

I'm falling blissfully in love with my recently procured dehydrator (Excalibur). Been focusing mostly on veggies, though.

I should venture into banana chips soon. Any special tips or tricks for your wife's recipe or technique? And does she use anything to prevent discoloration of the fruit?

I'm falling blissfully in love with my recently procured dehydrator (Excalibur). Been focusing mostly on veggies, though.

I should venture into banana chips soon. Any special tips or tricks for your wife's recipe or technique? And does she use anything to prevent discoloration of the fruit?

We just got our Excalibur right before the blizzard, so she is still experimenting, and so far only fruit. Nothing to prevent discoloration since it doesn't bother either of us. Basically she has me slice the fruits , bananas are about 1/4 inch, the really moist fruits like pineapple need to be thicker, then puts them on the mats and dries them - right now she is working on figuring out the optimal timing for each fruit. I am not sure that there is anything that makes the house smell better than when she is drying fruit.

We just got our Excalibur right before the blizzard, so she is still experimenting, and so far only fruit. Nothing to prevent discoloration since it doesn't bother either of us. Basically she has me slice the fruits , bananas are about 1/4 inch, the really moist fruits like pineapple need to be thicker, then puts them on the mats and dries them - right now she is working on figuring out the optimal timing for each fruit. I am not sure that there is anything that makes the house smell better than when she is drying fruit.

*Sensing the need to find a place in my ridiculous little amount of kitchen space to store a dehydrator* I dry my own spices in the fall at my Aunt's house, it is amazing how much money you can save on herbs that way. I also got my Mother-in-law a nice dehydrator maybe I can go down there and we can experiment.