Farm-Raised Game

I was less enamored of our next courses, Pinci al Cinghiale (we opted for the small portion at $7; it was still pretty big IMO) which is pasta with a "traditional Tuscan condiment of wild boar with onions and herbs," and the aforementioned lasagnette.  I found the pinci oddly bland and watery, as if the pasta hadn't been properly drained before being dressed with the condiment.  The lasagnette was just too rich for me (and I like rich foods).

Why does my bullshitometer peg out whenever I see "wild boar" on a menu?

Why does my bullshitometer peg out whenever I see "wild boar" on a menu?

Is it because you're cycnical by nature or you just can't picture a big industry of people in the jungle spearing boars like John Locke in Lost?

Is it because you're cycnical by nature or you just can't picture a big industry of people in the jungle spearing boars like John Locke in Lost?

Oddly enough, there is such a thing as "farmed wild boar"

So, my bullshitometer is accurate.  It's not really "wild" boar, it's domesticated boar.

Apparently "wild boar" is a blanket term for boar, as "boar" can also refer to a male pig. Most wild boar consumed in restaurants is farmed, though it might be stretch to call them domesticated as they're still feral (and fairly dangerous) animals.

Interestingly enough, the entire UK population of wild boar in the wild consists of animals which have escaped from farms and their offspring.

Apparently "wild boar" is a blanket term for boar, as "boar" can also refer to a male pig. Most wild boar consumed in restaurants is farmed, though it might be stretch to call them domesticated as they're still feral (and fairly dangerous) animals.

Interestingly enough, the entire UK population of wild boar in the wild consists of animals which have escaped from farms and their offspring.

I distinguish between "wild boar" and what is known in the US as "feral pig." Feral pigs are domestic hogs that have escaped into the wild and reproduced. They generally are considered a nuisance. Does anyone recall "hogzilla?" And I generally think of "boar" as the male of the species. However, there is the famed razorback of Arkansas. This subject deserves some exploration under the shopping and cooking forum.

I distinguish between "wild boar" and what is known in the US as "feral pig."  Feral pigs are domestic hogs that have escaped into the wild and reproduced.  They generally are considered a nuisance.  Does anyone recall "hogzilla?"  And I generally think of "boar" as the male of the species.  However, there is the famed razorback of Arkansas.  This subject deserves some exploration under the shopping and cooking forum.

There is an entire world out there besides what is in the US. Here is some info on cinghiale (wild boar). Of course, you will need to be able to read Italian. :P

I distinguish between "wild boar" and what is known in the US as "feral pig." Feral pigs are domestic hogs that have escaped into the wild and reproduced. They generally are considered a nuisance. Does anyone recall "hogzilla?" And I generally think of "boar" as the male of the species. However, there is the famed razorback of Arkansas. This subject deserves some exploration under the shopping and cooking forum.

Believe it or not, bubba, but Drew Trautmann at Sonoma told me the wild boar they use for their popular sausage with bucatini is sourced from my Mutterland, Mamita Russia, via one of the specialty purveyor. Since then, I've been having nightmares of uniformed D'Artagnan hunters descending upon wild forests in the heartland of Russia, guns and nets a-blazin', and innocent little wild piglets (kabanchiki!) peeling away, shrieking, wiggling their little bottoms and curly tails...brings tears to my eyes. wuzrobbed.gif

It appears that "wild boar" is the correct appelation:

The wild boar is one of nine species belonging to the pig family. It is the ancestor of the domestic pig. Although the wild boar is native to Europe, Asia and North Africa, it has been in North America since the early 1800s. The terms "full bloods" and "standards" are used to describe the purity of the wild boar. Full bloods are considered to be pure wild boar with no domestic pig in their background. Standards meet the physical requirements of wild boar but may have some domestic pig in their genetic make up. There has been a great deal of inter-breeding between wild boar and the domestic pig over the past 150 years. The North American standard wild boar is estimated to be 60-70% wild boar and 30-40% domestic pig.

Raising wild boar in captivity began in the mid 1980s in Manitoba. In 1991 there were approximately 15-20 producers. Today there are about 60 producers in Manitoba who collectively own over 2,000 breeding animals.

I'll have to reclaibrate the bullshitometer.

Tito maintained several luxurious hunting lodges scattered throughout the former Yugoslavia (RIP!) from whence he hunted boar, when he was not too busy repressing dissidents :P Though Yugoslavia no longer exists, the boars probably do.

Edited by FunnyJohn

I'm not in your neck of the woods, but here in Santa Cruz, there are wild boar roaming the hills that are easily seven feet long. They are a menace, and they are tasty, tasty, tasty.

I've had wild boar several times at the farm dinners I used to photograph...invariably they were the result of a patient farm worker perching in a tree with a shotgun, waiting for the boar to come and start to ravage the crops.

If a menu around here says "wild boar," I believe it. And I order it, more likely than not. :P

I appreciate new and interesting meats, but is an animal that is raised on a farm really game? Most buffalo I have had has as much gamey flavor as grass fed beef.

I think the definition of game has morphed from its orginal meaning of a wild animal that is hunted to include the same wild animals raised on a farm. Not much of a game in that.

I think the definition of game has morphed from its orginal meaning of a wild animal that is hunted to include the same wild animals raised on a farm. Not much of a game in that.

I don't disagree with you, but I wonder why it is that ducks are rarely if ever called "game". Additionally, the flavor of wild bagged game is so different from the farmed raised animals that they do not even taste like the same meat – I am not saying that it is always better just very different. Unfortunately, I think that most customers are unaware that what is called “game” on a menu* is no more wild than the bovine or swine they are passing up out of a sense of adventurousness.

*by no means am I calling out Rocklands as being the only restaurant to do this.

I don't disagree with you, but I wonder why it is that ducks are rarely if ever called "game". Additionally, the flavor of wild bagged game is so different from the farmed raised animals that they do not even taste like the same meat – I am not saying that it is always better just very different. Unfortunately, I think that most customers are unaware that what is called “game” on a menu* is no more wild than the bovine or swine they are passing up out of a sense of adventurousness.

*by no means am I calling out Rocklands as being the only restaurant to do this.

Well I know it is farm raised, but I like the leaness and flavor of elk, but you rarely see it on menus around here. So I will take it where I can get it. Yes, wild game tastes very different, but without access to it, unless I go home, I appreciate a variety of meats, even if farm raised here. And it is the best thing I have eaten at Rocklands so far.

Katelin, the reason I didn’t quote you is because I was making more of a general comment that went well beyond Rocklands or the dish that you had, and as I originally wrote, I appreciate new and different meats (actually I applaud there use), only the issue I have with the use of ‘game’ when describing farm raised animals. For what it is worth, I have been to dinner more than once with people that assume when they see the word on a menu it means that it was wild harvested.

Katelin, the reason I didn’t quote you is because I was making more of a general comment that went well beyond Rocklands or the dish that you had, and as I originally wrote, I appreciate new and different meats (actually I applaud there use), only the issue I have with the use of ‘game’ when describing farm raised animals. For what it is worth, I have been to dinner more than once with people that assume when they see the word on a menu it means that it was wild harvested.

Perhaps it is marketed that way. I don't think the sellers of bison meat want people to know they use big feed lots like for cattle because it does seem more "romantic" in a way for it to be wild caught. And perhaps people are more likely to try it if it is "exotic". I personally just like the diversity and health benefits of many different tasty critters. If I remember correctly ground bison meat at Wegman's has a picture of a bison eating grass in the outdoors. But you are completely right that true wild game tastes very different. Not only because of diet, but because it is often much leaner due to all the exercise. Growing up on a farm it was always neat to go to farms with alpaca, emu, rabbits, ostrich and etc. Even in our states MD/VA people farm raise many of these types of animals, so it is interesting people don't seem to notice it. No elk that I have seen, but I could be wrong. Maybe I should convert part of our beef farm to Elk. I would have to have high high fences. I could have school groups!

But now to thicken the question- if you shoot and eat squirrel is it game? I don't think people think of critters in their backyards as game, but deer are just larger critters in the backyard.

But now to thicken the question- if you shoot and eat squirrel is it game? I don't think people think of critters in their backyards as game, but deer are just larger critters in the backyard.

I would call that the start to a good Burgoo... ;)

At the risk of coming across as wonkish (too late?), I offer the following definitions from the Virginia Code:

"Game" means wild animals and wild birds that are commonly hunted for sport or food.

"Game animals" means deer, bear, rabbit, fox, squirrel, bobcat and raccoon.

Perhaps it is marketed that way. I don't think the sellers of bison meat want people to know they use big feed lots like for cattle...

...especially since the ones I know don't. I believe there is sufficient eyeball-rolling around these parts to indicate that "grass-fed, humanely raised" is plenty romantic and precisely what a lot of bison-eaters prefer. Kevin Costner is only one of many to dilute the appeal of killing wild buffalo.

I have never eaten bobcat....

Has anyone here eaten bobcat or raccoon???

I don't believe I've had any form of feline. I just as soon start with a regular cat. If you find a restaurant that serves cat, let me know. I do believe that Cantonese and Koreans eat cat but I'm not aware of any local restaurant that serves them.

Blog showing cat being skinned and cooked in Vietnam

There is a trattoria in Vicenza that serves cat dinners, but you have to be well known to the ownership and it is only served behind locked doors in a special private dining room. And no, I didn't partake.

I had a flight to the US on the night they were serving the cat dinner so I had no moral dilemma

I don't believe I've had any form of feline. I just as soon start with a regular cat. If you find a restaurant that serves cat, let me know. I do believe that Cantonese and Koreans eat cat but I'm not aware of any local restaurant that serves them.

Blog showing cat being skinned and cooked in Vietnam

I guess I am a little shocked because I have eaten a lot of wild vermin from this area- I have had squirrel- can be very dry, but excellent in pot pie. I really like dove. I have had bear, which I don't think was prepared well, but it is very fatty and oily, I didn't care for it much. I have had groundhog which I didn't care for much either. And then all the more "normal" game- pheasant, venison, duck, bison, elk, etc etc.

And I grew up in an area that if these things were eaten, I think I would have known about it. Maybe in Southwest Virginia they eat more of these things than Western Maryland/West Virginia, but I doubt it. I really want to meet someone who has eaten these things... I want to know where this is a common practice, or if some law maker in Virginia was just having a good chuckle.

Maybe Dean can have a Jaw to Bob dinner.

Four years ago, 2941 managed to source a small amount of lion meat, I believe from a ranch in Texas. It seems unlikely that you'll see that in the area anytime soon, as Chef Krinn (with his fondness for exotic ingredients) isn't even in the kitchen anymore at INOX.

The Serbian Crown has this on its menu:

Scaloppini of Lion

w/ Wild Mushrooms ( Winter Season )

Nevertheless, I've never been there while they had the lion meat (I've only been 3 times, in the last 7 years).

ETA - I see KMango has already posted.