Serendipity 3, New York-Based, Dessert-Oriented, American Fare at Wisconsin and M St. in Georgetown - Closed

Coming later this year. I've never been to the NYC location, but I sort of smell "tourist trap."

Your nose doesn't lead you far astray. "Frozen hot chocolate" is about as gimmicky as it comes (yes, I've had it; yes, I was with my cousins' children at the time; yes, even they thought the place was cheesy and overpriced).

You can buy the mix for the FHC, by the way.

Your nose doesn't lead you far astray.

I take it back. After looking around a bit, I now have no doubt that this is a tourist trap.

In fairness, I can only imagine the economics of running a restaurant out of that location. The rent must be astronomical, so your best bet becomes gimmicks that will draw in lots of families visiting DC that are willing to pay $8.95 for a "frozen hot chocolate" (yes, you read that right--that's what the price is on the menu on their website).

I take it back. After looking around a bit, I now have no doubt that this is a tourist trap.

In fairness, I can only imagine the economics of running a restaurant out of that location. The rent must be astronomical, so your best bet becomes gimmicks that will draw in lots of families visiting DC that are willing to pay $8.95 for a "frozen hot chocolate" (yes, you read that right--that's what the price is on the menu on their website).

I've been to the one in New York and had the frozen hot chocolate. While I didn't enjoy it enough to make a return trip, the portion isn't a rip off for the price: each is so huge, and so rich, that 3 could easily share it and be satisfied.

I have a major weakness for ice cream and Serendipity was a favorite of mine in high school. This was a while ago, before it was so touristy. I am not a fan of their frozen hot chocolate. But I used to love the chicken salad sandwiches on Irish soda bread and, of course, the hot fudge sundae.

Serendipity was one of the coolest places in Manhattan to go for dessert, when I used to go there---in the late 1960's...

Had I been in this forum in early 2010 I would have confirmed.  I still recall my first time----------- at Serendipity NY on the Upper East Side.  Valentine's Day, 1969.  I recall my date and the date.   It was a cool place.

Meanwhile those ownership stories above....what a catastrophe.  Even as Georgetown has lost some local attractiveness, it is still a dramatically popular location for visitors plus still for many residents of the region.  You cannot beat that old Nathans location!!!