The Customer is Always ...

Andelman

How do you all feel when there is a limit on the number of items you can purchase in a store? Here is the story:

We make these salted caramel bunnies for Easter, and sell them in packages of 4 and 9. Unfortunately, we only have enough molds to make about 200 bunnies each day, so I have a limited number to sell. Therefore, on the couple of days leading up to Easter, I put up a very polite sign saying "in all fairness, we would like to limit the number of boxes to 2 per customer/per day..." most people don't seem to have a problem with this, get their 2 boxes, and go on their way. However, this one lady comes in yesterday and has a big fit about the limit, insisting that she NEEDS 3 boxes. My employee was very polite to her, explaining that we had a box limit and were trying to be fair to all our customers. The woman would have nothing of it, telling her "WE should just be happy that she wants to spend SO much money in our store" (BTW, it was like $25 worth of stuff she was buying, so it really wasn't that much money, relatively speaking). I had to come out and get involved, again explaining the policy. She couldn't understand why I would do this, and said, "well if I don't buy them, then someone else will, right? So what difference does it make?...". I was starting to get pretty irritated, as I was already have a rough day (based on an effing Yelp review that was totally off the mark and a total stab at me on a personal level, check it out if you wish..) and I was about to tell this lady to keep her money and go find chocolates elsewhere. I didn't. I gave in and reluctantly let the baby have her bottle and she walked away with her 3 boxes of bunnies.

Sooo, I was just wondering your opinion on this practice. Should I just do away with the box limit and quickly run out of that particular product? I was just trying to be democratic about the whole thing, but it doesn't seem to work....

Thanks for letting me rant. Yesterday was one of those days when I just wanted to lock myself in the office....

-j

Put up a sign, and point to it as you explain the policy. It acts as a quasi-agent, and does much of the talking on your behalf. As simple as this sounds, it will be obvious to the customers that it applies to everyone, and that they'd be asking for special treatment (as opposed to being denied ordinary treatment) if they were to go over the limit.

Put up a sign, and point to it as you explain the policy. It acts as a quasi-agent, and does much of the talking on your behalf. As simple as this sounds, it will be obvious to the customers that it applies to everyone, and that they'd be asking for special treatment (as opposed to being denied ordinary treatment) if they were to go over the limit.

There is a sign noted in the original post ... I was thinking it should be a little more declarative, i.e., remove the "would like to" and have it just read "we limit" so there's no room for negotiation.

Yes, we do have a sign up. I made the sign as polite as possible, so people would get the hint that I am trying to be fair to ALL our customers. We also mentioned in our email newsletter that went out last week, that there area limited supply of bunnies and that they go quickly. I am really not sure of what else I could have done. The other thing, is that te woman was very aggressive from the start. If she had politely explained why she needed 3 boxes, we probably would have said no problem.

I had this same problem my 1st holiday season. I was basically running the Lee Highway shop all by myself and was running out chocolates on a daily basis. I had to initiate a box limit, and it really pissed a bunch of people off. Some customers just couldn't understand why they couldn't get EXACTLY what they wanted. I was like, "dude, look at me in this shop, all by myself. It isn't Walmart!. I can only do so much..." Very annoying.

I think the limit is quite fair.

My assumption is you're still selling these out every day limit or not, in this way, you allow for broader exposure of your wares to a larger sample of your customer base. It makes sound business sense. I do agree that something in the vein of "no exceptions" should be noted on the sign. At the end of the day, its there so you don't have to run out and deal with every selfish customer that wants to cause an issue for you or your employees.

I think the limit is quite fair.

My assumption is you're still selling these out every day limit or not, in this way, you allow for broader exposure of your wares to a larger sample of your customer base. It makes sound business sense. I do agree that something in the vein of "no exceptions" should be noted on the sign. At the end of the day, its there so you don't have to run out and deal with every selfish customer that wants to cause an issue for you or your employees.

Ohh but you don't understand. I am different! I Neeeeeeeeeeeed it! ;)

Seriuosly, no matter how it is signed, there will be customers who will ignore the obvious and get pissed off by the limitation. We do not offer our early bird or free corkage on holidays. Passover is one of our major holidays and I got a very nasty review on OT because they couldn't have the special!

Dealing with asshats is just part of being in business. Keep it polite but stick with your policy. You can't please everybody.

What we need now is a good Landrum rant on entitlement.

Re: Landrum rant

You know, all I have been thinking about lately is Michael's quote from a few years ago, where he said something along the lines of " the a**holes outnumber the decent people by 10-1" (or something like that). I am not sure the ratio is that high, but we have certainly noticed an increase in entitlement since we moved to Clarendon. I mean, 99% of our customers are great and we really, truly appreciate their business. Unfortunately, it is the 1% that causes so much grief and makes you write 5:30 AM rants on an internet food board.

And since I am ranting, one other BIG pet peeve of mine is when customers ask ME (or any of my employees) "Is that one good?" How am I supposed to answer that question? If I didn't think it was good, I wouldnt sell it. People need to think before they speak. We get that question multiple times a day.

And since I am ranting, one other BIG pet peeve of mine is when customers ask ME (or any of my employees) "Is that one good?" How am I supposed to answer that question? If I didn't think it was good, I wouldnt sell it. People need to think before they speak. We get that question multiple times a day.

To be fair, I think most people asking this are really asking "what is that one like?". People like validation before they make a choice, particularly before they spend money. I think if you answer the question "this one is really dark, a bit bitter if you like that style, with just a hint of peppermint" (or whatever) I think that would satisfy most of them.

To be fair, I think most people asking this are really asking "what is that one like?". People like validation before they make a choice, particularly before they spend money. I think if you answer the question "this one is really dark, a bit bitter if you like that style, with just a hint of peppermint" (or whatever) I think that would satisfy most of them.

Then why don't they just ask "What is that one like?" I understand people needed validation, and we usually do a pretty good job of explaining which are the most popular, darkest, etc...

I would never go to a restaurant and ask the server or chef, "Is that dish good?" I don't know, maybe it is just the semantics of the whole thing....

Still bugs me though. ;)

Now you're sounding like Gillian. I don't think there's anything wrong with a customer asking this question - they're almost literally like kids in a candy store, and find themselves faced with numerous unfamiliar options before making a quick decision to part with their money. They're trying to engage you and ask for your recommendations - why don't you reply with something like, "everything we sell is good; now, let's try and figure out what style of chocolate you're looking for." A lot of people, for example, might have a strong preference for the salted caramels over the bourbon-filled chocolates. Why not indulge them?

(As an aside, I've learned over the years not to ask this type of question in restaurants with inexperienced servers. ("Oh, people love the spinach and artichoke dip - it's our best seller!" (And it's often a pile of glop.)))

Cheers,

Rocks

Yes, we do have a sign up. I made the sign as polite as possible, so people would get the hint that I am trying to be fair to ALL our customers.

You're assuming that the people who come in care about your other customers, while some of them (as in the case cited) care only about themselves and what they want. I agree with Leigh that you'd probably be better off with a more firmly-worded sign.

Now you're sounding like Gillian. I don't think there's anything wrong with a customer asking this question - they're almost literally like kids in a candy store, and find themselves faced with numerous unfamiliar options before making a quick decision to part with their money. They're trying to engage you and ask for your recommendations - why don't you reply with something like, "everything we sell is good; now, let's try and figure out what style of chocolate you're looking for." A lot of people, for example, might have a strong preference for the salted caramels over the bourbon-filled chocolates. Why not indulge them?

(As an aside, I've learned over the years not to ask this type of question in restaurants with inexperienced servers. ("Oh, people love the spinach and artichoke dip - it's our best seller!" (And it's often a pile of glop.)))

Cheers,

Rocks

And what is wrong with sounding like Gillian? ;)

I understand what they are asking, and our response is usually very similar to what you said.

It is just an odd question to ask (in my mind). Like I said, why not ask specific questions, rather than just saying "Is it good?"

Now you're sounding like Gillian. I don't think there's anything wrong with a customer asking this question...

If I were the one behind the counter, I'd find it pretty damn insulting to have spent all this time and effort on my product only to have some idiot ask "is it good?" There's a lot of time, effort, and care invested in it being good. What people ought to do is say "okay, I like [insert type of chocolate here] - which of these should I try?"

I think the "Is it good" question comes from people seeing ingredients they either don't know or don't expect to see together. It may be more of a reaction than a question, though phrased as a question. "Really, candy with those ingredients mixed together? Is it good?"

I don't know if I've ever asked the "good" question, but I do sometimes have a "I wonder if that works" kind of reaction.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's my theory ;).

Oh come on, really. Do every one of you always say exactly what you mean every time you open your mouths?

I worked for a man who always paused a good five seconds before replying to anything. He was the most fucking boring conversationalist ever.

"what is wrong with sounding like Gillian?"

Well, nothing, if you want to alienate all your customers.

But if you want to continue to serve the masses as well as the discerning, sounding like Gillian will be a problem.

I'm at a loss as to why you find the question odd or why you're entitled to a thoughtful question.

If it happens again though, just tell the customer how you feel? See if that works for you.

Oh come on, really. Do every one of you always say exactly what you mean every time you open your mouths?

That's why I suspect it's more a reactive comment than anything, which is also why so many people say it. And the fact that so many people say it is probably what's annoying to those working in the store.

If I were the one behind the counter, I'd find it pretty damn insulting to have spent all this time and effort on my product only to have some idiot ask "is it good?"

Actually, there are candid employees and owners who would tell you some things in the store in fact sucks. Same thing happens in restaurants - some servers will tell you not to order certain things. I see it on Kitchen Nightmare - chefs will say that everything they serve is good - well, that's just blatantly not true.

I was starting to get pretty irritated, as I was already have a rough day (based on an effing Yelp review that was totally off the mark and a total stab at me on a personal level, check it out if you wish..) -j

i can't find the effing yelp review. someone must have paid them off with chocolate bunnies. anyway, you've got five stars (which i realize is meaningless, but it is the most you can get.)

edited to add: actually, taking a closer look i did find the delusional entry; it's now tucked away. you never know what someone might be thinking to themselves. the best example is the priest in bunuel's "el" who imagines he is being ridiculed by his congregation, and lots of other things, although i haven't seen this movie in a long time, so i could be wrong. in any case, i do know he would probably cause a scene in a candy shop, if only in his mind.

I'm at a loss as to why you find the question odd or why you're entitled to a thoughtful question.

If it happens again though, just tell the customer how you feel? See if that works for you.

I think I explained why I think the question is odd. If I didn't think it was good, why on earth would I sell it?

Aren't we all entitled to a thoughtful question? ;)

Actually, there are candid employees and owners who would tell you some things in the store in fact sucks. Same thing happens in restaurants - some servers will tell you not to order certain things. I see it on Kitchen Nightmare - chefs will say that everything they serve is good - well, that's just blatantly not true.

I don't know too many owners of shops (similiar to mine) that would candidly say "this sucks". Employees, maybe. I would hate for one of my employees to think that something sucks, and I hope they would tell me if it did.

That's why I suspect it's more a reactive comment than anything, which is also why so many people say it. And the fact that so many people say it is probably what's annoying to those working in the store.

I believe Pat has hit the nail on the head. I am sure it is a reactive comment, it is just slightly annoying to hear it multiple times a day. That is why I labeled it a 'pet peeve'. Not really a big deal, just an annoyance.

I think I explained why I think the question is odd. If I didn't think it was good, why on earth would I sell it?

Aren't we all entitled to a thoughtful question? ;)

So in the end your lady got her three bunnies anyway. You didn't lose any money, and maybe one customer who otherwise would have gotten a bunny got shut out. Doesn't seem worth the big fuss. It's just retail, Jake.

So in the end your lady got her three bunnies anyway. You didn't lose any money, and maybe one customer who otherwise would have gotten a bunny got shut out. Doesn't seem worth the big fuss. It's just retail, Jake.

Yeah, but I was trying to share the wealth. The reason I gave in, was because I really wasn't in the mood to argue with her about it.

You say it's "just retail", but that is how I make my living, so, for me, it IS kind of a big deal.

Also, who is Jake?

Yeah, but I was trying to share the wealth. The reason I gave in, was because I really wasn't in the mood to argue with her about it.

You say it's "just retail", but that is how I make my living, so, for me, it IS kind of a big deal.

Also, who is Jake?

"It's just retail, Jake", was a reference to the movie Chinatown. Where Jack Nicholson wants to fight a new battle with the guy who just crushed him. And his partner makes him understand that he can not win. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown." My point was that this doesn't seem to be a customer problem. So the customer who bought your 200th bunny only got one instead of two? How was arguing with this lady productive? Retail is a tough game if you are gonna start letting that one a-hole get you down.

Scully from x-files?

I assumed they meant Gillian Clark, formerly of Colorado Kitchen and now of The General Store in Silver Spring. She's known for taking no prisoners when it comes to customer requests that don't fit her modus operandi.

Jason, I think I know who that woman is. Or, she has a clone out there. :P Believe me, I feel for you. I think you should handle this in any way that will help you better get through your day. We have all heard (and read) the complaints about the "entitled a$$holes" who insist on making the lives of everyone around them a misery. And make those of you in the hospitality industry rethink your reason for being. Like the poor, these folks will always be with us. You can come up with every strategy in the book to be fair to all your customers and you will STILL have to deal with people like this woman. Just remember the axiom from the US Army: You can do everything imaginable, go to lengths you didn't think possible, and still 10% won't get the word. There it is.

On the other hand, if you can't come to this site and vent to a sympathetic audience, then I don't know why we are all here. I have learned enough over the years about the goings-on in restaurants (and other services) to make me want to be one of those people who make up for the AHs of the world. It's a work in progress. ;)

Jason,

FWIW....postings such as your original one are why I enjoy this site in general, as a fan of food and way before becoming a business owner myself. You come across, to me at least, as being as honest as you could be about your business. You're griping about your job a bit. We all do it and anyone that criticizes you for doing so is an ass.

I would like to buy three bunnies tomorrow. Two for my girls and one to run over with my truck...but I'll pay double for that one. ;)

Look. I was merely looking for opinions/comments as to my policy regarding the limit. The aside about the "Is it good?" was just something that was on my mind at the time, and yes, it probably stemmed from my annoying customer that day (and the Yelp review, which has since been updated). Just a few things though...

Yes, maybe I sounded like Gillian. And you know, so what! I don't know Gillian and have never been to the late Colorado Kitchen or the new place. I know she has gotten sh*t for her customer service policies, quirks about orders, etc... That is her business, she can run it anyway she pleases. It is not how I would run mine, but to each is (or her) own. But to say I sound like Gillian because I am complaining about a question I perceive as odd (Is it good?) just doesn't seem right. Like Shaggy said, we all complain about our jobs, and here I am complaining about mine. I very rarely do, as I think I lucked out in the career department, as I am very happy as to where my business is now, and where it is heading. I have a good quality of life, not a whole lot of money, and a happy and supportive family. But from time to time, customers truly get on my nerves, and I like to vent about it. I thought venting here would be okay. However, when I get comments like " It's just retail, get over it..", it kind of pisses me off. I chose this career path because I like making chocolates and think I do a decent job of it. However, in order to make a living , I need to do a lot of other things (help customers, pay the bills, do the dishes, handle employees, etc, etc...) Believe me, it ain't easy to juggle all these things, but we manage and things seem to work out for the best in most cases. Like I said, I don't complain very much, so just indulge me every once and awhile (as most of you have, and thanks for that!).

Everyone have a safe and happy Easter weekend.

Cheers,

Jason

Business owners complaining about their customers to each other is a fine and long-standing practice. Doing it in public may draw "criticism". Complaining about a lady who wanted an extra bunny just seemed ungenerous to me. [signed] ass

So what you are saying is, it is okay for me to complain about a customer behind their back, but doing it in a public forum is wrong? Even though the customer is completely anonymous. That is ludicrous.

If that is the case, then pretty much everyone on this board, Yelp, etc.. isi n the wrong in your eyes. How come it doesn't work both ways?

Ungenerous? I think not. The lady was aggressive from the get -go about our policy, so you know what, she really deserved nothing, yet I reluctantly gave in. I am not sure what you do for a living, but I highly doubt you have NEVER complained about something work related. Give me a break.

So what you are saying is, it is okay for me to complain about a customer behind their back, but doing it in a public forum is wrong? Even though the customer is completely anonymous. That is ludicrous.

If that is the case, then pretty much everyone on this board, Yelp, etc.. isi n the wrong in your eyes. How come it doesn't work both ways?

Ungenerous? I think not. The lady was aggressive from the get -go about our policy, so you know what, she really deserved nothing, yet I reluctantly gave in. I am not sure what you do for a living, but I highly doubt you have NEVER complained about something work related. Give me a break.

I don't know Jason personally, but I get the sense that if the lady have been nice and explained... Perhaps if she had said, nicely... I have three children, and I can't just buy two boxes because the third child will be upset if he/she doesn't get one, could I please have a third box I'm guessing he probably would have made an exception. But it sounds like she came out on the offensive. As for owners complaining... I can't see how it hurts this individual to be complained about. Maybe it will help teach other people to stop being such jerks. Lord knows there are enough in this city. ERGH.

Given that a good amount of people who post here or read here either work in, around the fringes or used to work in the restaurant business, I find it perfectly acceptable for Jason to vent alittle. Most of us could relate thousands of like stories from the super entitled customers we meet on a daily basis. I'm all for starting a site to review people who review restaurants. I would love to go to the offices of some of the know nothing asses that post on yelp or urban spoon or even here and critique what it is they do for a living. But I won't....know why, cause I know nothing about office work and wouldn't presume to know more about what it is they do just because I watched a show on lawyers or read a book about performing brain surgery.

Given that a good amount of people who post here or read here either work in, around the fringes or used to work in the restaurant business, I find it perfectly acceptable for Jason to vent a little. Most of us could relate thousands of like stories from the super entitled customers we meet on a daily basis. I'm all for starting a site to review people who review restaurants. I would love to go to the offices of some of the know nothing asses that post on yelp or urban spoon or even here and critique what it is they do for a living. But I won't....know why, cause I know nothing about office work and wouldn't presume to know more about what it is they do just because I watched a show on lawyers or read a book about performing brain surgery.

The best post I have read in some time. My assistant and I were just talking about the same thing yesterday.

Given that a good amount of people who post here or read here either work in, around the fringes or used to work in the restaurant business, I find it perfectly acceptable for Jason to vent alittle. Most of us could relate thousands of like stories from the super entitled customers we meet on a daily basis. I'm all for starting a site to review people who review restaurants. I would love to go to the offices of some of the know nothing asses that post on yelp or urban spoon or even here and critique what it is they do for a living. But I won't....know why, cause I know nothing about office work and wouldn't presume to know more about what it is they do just because I watched a show on lawyers or read a book about performing brain surgery.

I never said people shouldn't vent. Read my posts. I agree with everything you say, sir. Go ahead and vent. Does everyone have to agree with you? Because if you can't take a little back-and-forth with the people here (or some lady WHO WANTED A THIRD BUNNY) then you might be incredibly thin-skinned and not cut out for retail. 'sall I'm sayin'. (By the way, I did notice that the OP went to the 'negative' poster on Yelp and contacted her (as I suggested on the Yelp thread), and she re-posted a positive review. Instead of lashing out at her here, perhaps contacting her first would have saved a lot of stress and heartache for the OP.) I guess I'm just slightly annoyed at entitled business owners who trash their customers (many of whom, I would guess, lurk here often, and rarely or never post-perhaps even the 'bunny lady'.). Works both ways.

I never said people shouldn't vent. Read my posts. I agree with everything you say, sir. Go ahead and vent. Does everyone have to agree with you? Because if you can't take a little back-and-forth with the people here (or some lady WHO WANTED A THIRD BUNNY) then you might be incredibly thin-skinned and not cut out for retail. 'sall I'm sayin'. (By the way, I did notice that the OP went to the 'negative' poster on Yelp and contacted her (as I suggested on the Yelp thread), and she re-posted a positive review. Instead of lashing out at her here, perhaps contacting her first would have saved a lot of stress and heartache for the OP.) I guess I'm just slightly annoyed at entitled business owners who trash their customers (many of whom, I would guess, lurk here often, and rarely or never post-perhaps even the 'bunny lady'.). Works both ways.

I never said anyone had to agree with me. I was simply contributing to the conversation. If I were addressing your post specifically I would have called you out by name since I don't hide behind some clever psydenoym. But since I seem to have hit a nerve with you on this, lets discuss the difference between relaying an experience that happened and asking a trusted resource for their opinions and lashing out. Lashing out would probably fall along the lines of calling someone an asshole or a bitch for wanting something, which is not the case here. There is a line between giving an opinion on this board and being overly aggressive with everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view. Given your previous history of tirades versus various things that don't suit you, I must respectfully bow out of this conversation lest I hit another nerve of yours and become your next target. Respectfully yours,

[Okay, I'm stepping in here as moderator, and saying that nobody has crossed any boundaries. Miami Danny is a gadfly [yes, Miami Danny, you make it a point of pride to drum up sludge in the name of being provocative, and perhaps even self-promoting], but the substance of what he says is not off-base, not do I think he is hostile to the cause of business owners who want to complain a bit about rude customers; he's merely offering a contrary opinion. No posts in this thread have been deleted ... carry on as you see fit.]

Cheers,

Rocks.