Baking Question

MBK

Hi all:

I baked an apple cake yesterday -- recipe link follows -- and when I cut into it it was not cooked through (although the top is crisp and golden brown). My thought was to put it back in the oven at very low heat (250?) for a bit to cook through, but I'm not that much of a baker so I'm not sure if that's the right answer. Any advice?

Thanks,

Marni

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_17178,00.html

I baked an apple cake yesterday and when I cut into it it was not cooked through (although the top is crisp and golden brown).  My thought was to put it back in the oven at very low heat (250?) for a bit to cook through, but I'm not that much of a baker so I'm not sure if that's the right answer.  Any advice?

It won't ever be as good as if you had baked it enough at first, but your instinct is a good one. I'd go a little bit higher, say 300 or 325. Cover the top with foil, shiny side up, to keep the top from getting over-browned. Check the inside of the cake with a toothpick or thin bamboo skewer periodically to make sure the inside of the cake is done--gummy batter will cling to the toothpick if it is underdone. Only a few, dry crumbs will cling to the toothpick if it is ready. Now the challenge is to make sure it doesn't get too dried out!

Edited by zoramargolis

my first question is did you test the cake before putting the topping on and letting it bake more? that should have allowed you to test the cake itself for done-ness before adding the topping.

i also agree with zora, if you wanted to throw it back in to keep cooking, i'd increase the temp to probably 350 (250 won't do anything except re-heat it/keep it warm).

Unfortunately, I didn't test it before adding the topping -- I've learned my lesson. I just followed the recipe. Tonight I'll pop it in the oven covered w/ foil and see if I can cook it through without drying it out. As my boyfriend commented, though, if it's too dry, we can eat it with ice cream!