The StephenB Impromptu Memorial Hour

I just spoke to Dean at Dino and he's going to make some special appetizers and have a Remember StephenB gathering on Monday at 6:00pm at Dino. This is a very small tribute to a man that so many of us have learned from, have laughed with and been awestruck by. I hope to see you on Monday at Dino at 6:00pm.

There still is another chance. Hopefully the funeral ceremony will be announced soon.

I am a friend of the family. I'm 99% certain that there will be no "funeral ceremony." Stephen left no special wishes in that regard and the family seem to be inclined not to have a public ceremony of any kind.

I think the thing to do is to make arrangements that suit your taste, temperament, and schedule. We had a small gathering of four friends of Stephen's this evening at Simply Ayzen to have his "Last Supper" menu. Escoffier suggested we order both what Stephen ate on his last visit and what he planned to order on his next visit. It was a very pleasant evening.

My theory is that the best ceremony for Stephen is to have some good food and good conversation. I think that's what he enjoyed most himself.

Marty

Pardon me, people if I misled. It is from a cultural difference. There is always a sort of public ceremony whether a deceased person is buried or cremated in my former country. I wish I could see his last passage.

Pardon me, people if I misled. It is from a cultural difference. There is always a sort of public ceremony whether a deceased person is buried or cremated in my former country. I wish I could see his last passage.

I think that is pretty normal in our culture, too.

But Stephen left no last wishes, his body was held by the Medical Examiner's office until after I left town on Thursday, and the family probably has not made up its mind about a final resting place for him.

I spent two days with my Mom in N.C., then came back to Buffalo yesterday. I'll keep folks posted if and when plans develop for another memorial dinner in late summer or early fall. The exact date depends on George Klein's schedule. He's a good friend of Stephen's from Geneva, Switzerland, and a friend of many of Stephen's friends.

Marty

I was very sorry to learn today about Stephen B's passing. Even though we're in NYC, I had spoken to him several times over the years and then finally met him last autumn at the picnic. He was an intelligent, thoughtful person with a great sense of humor. I'll remember him fondly.