Iota, Wilson Blvd in Clarendon - Closed

I am lucky to live in a neighborhood with great music venues. I am luckier that one of them has GREAT food. I have eaten at Iota probably more times than any other white table cloth restaurant in the city. I can't believe I have not written a post, but last night's service and food really requires acknowledgement.

Here goes. The menu at Iota changes on a fairly regular basis to incorporate seasonal dishes as well as "high end" versions of pub fare. I have had excellent salads, including the portabella capresse salad on the current menu, a great veggie burger, and yummy pasta dishes over the past few months.

Last night we started with the trio of spreads appetizer. The tapenade was great. The tomato spread yummy. I am not a hummus fan so no comment.

I had a special as my entree, a cod dish that was really well prepared. My friend ordered another special that turned out not to be what she thought and they gladly replaced it with something else.

Come over to Clarendon.

My wife and I are going to a show at Iota and thinking of stopping in a RTS beforehand for dinner. Although we've had pretty much every cut of steak at RTC, we've never been to RTS.

The question is: Is there enough of a difference to try RTS? Or should we take the opportunity to try something completely different in the area?

I realize that this is the Ray's thread, but there is nothing wrong with eating at Iota. You might be surprised. One benefit in eating at Iota is that you can get your hand stamped early (before dinner) and avoid "the show is sold out" blues.

I realize that this is the Ray's thread, but there is nothing wrong with eating at Iota. You might be surprised. One benefit in eating at Iota is that you can get your hand stamped early (before dinner) and avoid "the show is sold out" blues.

You can do that and not even eat there. I do it all the time. Go up early- pay the cover, get the stamp and then leave and come back later.

You can do that and not even eat there. I do it all the time. Go up early- pay the cover, get the stamp and then leave and come back later.

Indeed, this is true. I guess I had too much Ray's on the mind. I would be too lazy to drive to IOTA, get back in the car and drive to Ray's, then drive back to IOTA after dinner. Once I park, I stay parked.

We haven't been in a loooooong time, but IOTA used to be our go-to date restaurant :lol: I love the baked brie with the raspberry and almond...umm...goo. I know there's a real word for it, but it's still morning over here. My "regular" meal was the salad with pears and cheese and a plate of the famed IOTA fries (with, as always, a little pot of mayo for me). Tripewriter has very much enjoyed the seafood there, among other things. Again, we haven't eaten there in a long time, but we very much enjoyed it when we did.

The catfish wrap used to be my favorite dish at Iota about one to two years ago. Then last summer I had one, and it wasn't as good as it used to be. I finally tried it again earlier this week, and sadly, it was not as good as it was. It's deep fried chunks of catfish in a wrap with jack cheese, greens, chipotle mayo, and roasted tomato black bean salsa. The breading on the catfish used to be nicely spiced. This time the breading didn't have much flavor, there wasn't much, if any, mayo, and the sandwich overall was bland. The fries were still good (lightly coated with a spiced batter). I was there on one of the snowy days so hoping it was just a fluke? Has anyone else had the catfish wrap lately?

In case you missed it, Iota now opens at 6:30 am Monday through Friday and at 8:00 am on the weekends offering a coffee service, breakfast, and lunch in addition to its longstanding dinner operation. I had a respectable avocado-gruyere "smasher" (panini) with tomatoes and hot English mustard on a nicely crisp rustic roll. It was served with a "clear" side slaw (no mayo) and rang up at a tad pricey $8.25 before tax and tip.

In case you missed it, Iota now opens at 6:30 am Monday through Friday and at 8:00 am on the weekends offering a coffee service, breakfast, and lunch in addition to its longstanding dinner operation. I had a respectable avocado-gruyere "smasher" (panini) with tomatoes and hot English mustard on a nicely crisp rustic roll. It was served with a "clear" side slaw (no mayo) and rang up at a tad pricey $8.25 before tax and tip.

So it looks like (according to the website) they've combined the two spaces into one? I've been wondering what they'd done since the front entrance was different last time I walked by. Have to check it out at lunch one of these days.

(and OMG - Evan Dando AND Julianna Hatfield playing there on Saturday - holy college flashback!)

I am going out on a limb here because I do not eat a lot of breakfast sandwiches, but I find it inconceivable that the prosciutto, egg, and provolone served at Iota would not rank as one of the top five breakfast sandwiches in town. It is served on lightly pressed rustic roll that was perfectly crispy without being smashed to flatness. The prosciutto was soft and easily succumbed to each bite without any pulling. The egg was cooked over-medium with a little bit of run. The roll was buttered and the sandwich also contained roasted tomatoes. It is served with a simple side of sliced green apples and peeled and sliced oranges. This is the second time I have been in (the last was for lunch) and it is the second time I was the only one there for my entire take-out wait, so I am a little worried about these folks. :) If you are in the neighborhood, it is worth a visit. They serve quality ingredients and are trying hard.

Purchased a growler today for an early Valentine's gift. The iota growler - steel handle and all - is a sight to behold, and a quick internet search revealed that the steel is a steal (and/or investment) at $22 (before filling). I'm sure any beer lover would prefer this over a dozen roses next week.

If you are tired of jockeying for a table at northside, iota is also a worthy substitute. Pour over coffee, and foam art thats slightly more abstract (purposefully? yes.), wifi, sandwiches and tons of seats.

Iota is expanding with a daytime coffee shop. Through the month of march you can get a free cup of coffee with the purchase of a breakfast sandwich.

I stopped by this morning and was pleasantly surprised with my sandwich and coffee. It's a great space and a nice place to enjoy a cup of coffee before work. My prosciutto/egg/cheese sandwich was a little on the salty side, but otherwise tasty.