China Wok, Leesburg Pike in Tysons Corner - Open Once Again October 2014 After An Earlier Fire

China Wok in Tyson's corner (next to Marshalls) hired Chef Wang formerly of Hunan Lion. He is not there every night, but when he is, he makes a mean Peking Duck. Call ahead to see if he is working. Plus they deliver

Tyson's Corner

8395 Leesburg Pike

Vienna, VA 22182

703-893-4488

Since the soaking/drying/roasting process takes a day, wouldn't the presence of the chef on the night of serving just be for carving the duck?

China Wok had a fire last spring and reopened on 10/2/14. Chef must have left as the quality is really poor right now. Suggest you order delivery from China Express. Earlier this week Carmen posted a pic of Chef Wang carving a duck. No comments on the food. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for the Tyson's Area. I am now heading north to Rockville for my Chinese Fixes

China Wok had a fire last spring and reopened on 10/2/14. Chef must have left as the quality is really poor right now. Suggest you order delivery from China Express. Earlier this week Carmen posted a pic of Chef Wang carving a duck. No comments on the food. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for the Tyson's Area. I am now heading north to Rockville for my Chinese Fixes

Scott, could you clarify this ambiguity? You said the chef must have left, but also that there was a picture of Chef Wang carving a duck earlier this week.

• Like 1

Don, I'll weigh in. We think that Chef Wang really only makes the duck and is not the main cook/chef. The duck is still great. Everything else is not, and we believe there's a new chef or cook.  When we first went back after they reopened, the server kept asking if we liked the food.  She asked in particular about one of the dishes (pickled Chinese cabbage) because she knew we always used to order it. It was not the same and definitely not as good as is used to be.  She kept saying, ""new recipe." But there's such a change in the quality of the cooking that we think there's new people doing the cooking now.

• Like 1

I've been to China Wok twice now and it is my go-to place for Peking Duck.  The rest of the food so far is pretty good too:  Singapore noodles, fried seafood with broccoli, pan-fried meat dumplings.  There is a lot of buzz about Peter Chang (including from me) but I like this place too.

• Like 2

We went to China Wok last night, partly because I hadn't had Peking duck in a while, partly to support Chinese restaurants.  They are taking a beating from the coronavirus scare and business is off.  Sure enough the place was half empty when normally, on a Saturday night, it would be jammed.  Nonetheless, Peking duck was excellent as were our other 2 dishes, eggplant tofu casserole (not soggy - the eggplant and tofu held their structure and taste) and salt and pepper shrimp (big jumbo shrimp with light batter with American broccoli).

Please support your local Chinese restaurants during the coronavirus crisis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hopsing said:

We went to China Wok last night, partly because I hadn't had Peking duck in a while, partly to support Chinese restaurants.  They are taking a beating from the coronavirus scare and business is off.  Sure enough the place was half empty when normally, on a Saturday night, it would be jammed.  Nonetheless, Peking duck was excellent as were our other 2 dishes, eggplant tofu casserole (not soggy - the eggplant and tofu held their structure and taste) and salt and pepper shrimp (big jumbo shrimp with light batter with American broccoli).

Please support your local Chinese restaurants during the coronavirus crisis.

Even Thai Square - usually packed on Thursday evenings, both for dine-in and carry-out, seemed rather empty when I was in there.

• Like 1

We've been getting fairly regular takeout over the last month, and it has become our go-to place for Chinese food. The spring rolls, rangoon, and dumplings are all solid. For mains, we're enjoying the Combination Lo-Mein, which get's better every day it sits in the fridge (up to a point, of course), and the Crispy Hot Beef, which is very much americanized chinese candy-style food, so ymmv. What keeps bringing us back, however, are the Walnut Shrimp, which are jumbo sized shrimp, walnuts, and broccoli served in a delicate (to me) cream sauce that i delicious and worth going out of your way for, and the Peking Duck, which comes with an ample amount of sliced scallion, sauce, and pancakes, and is packaged with thoughtful care with meat separated from crunchy skin via foil, which i appreciate. They also give you the duck carcass, which is ... interesting.

Family operated, and I've had several informal chats with the proprietors, who are very nice. They have a good on-line ordering system, as well.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

the Peking Duck, which comes with an ample amount of sliced scallion, sauce, and pancakes, and is packaged with thoughtful care with meat separated from crunchy skin via foil, which i appreciate. They also give you the duck carcass, which is ... interesting.

Good to know Peking duck will survive the carryout journey.  China Wok has been my go-to Peking Duck place for years but haven't been back since the pandemic started.  We boil the duck carcass to make duck broth (much more flavorful than chicken broth).  Other dishes we like are the tofu-eggplant combo, braised pork with tofu skin, salt and pepper shrimp.  One waitress there speaks my Toishanese dialect - it's embarassing how much I've forgotten.

• Like 2

Our last few meals have been disappointing, both in quality/taste of food and service. Regarding the food, we've just felt that the flavors have been off, and that the food has been bland overall (with a couple exceptions). Regarding service, they've been consistently and significantly late in terms of when they've said the food would be ready, and they keep forgetting items we've ordered. Last night, they forgot to give us rice! We've also not received full entrees, pancakes for the duck, and other miscellaneous items. I can't prove this has all coincided with their glowing article in the Post, which appears to have greatly increased their popularity and business, but it sure seems that way. We simply can't trust this place any more, and so we don't plan to return. What a shame!

• Sad 3

On 6/21/2021 at 10:39 AM, Dr. Delicious said:

Our last few meals have been disappointing, both in quality/taste of food and service. Regarding the food, we've just felt that the flavors have been off, and that the food has been bland overall (with a couple exceptions). Regarding service, they've been consistently and significantly late in terms of when they've said the food would be ready, and they keep forgetting items we've ordered. Last night, they forgot to give us rice! We've also not received full entrees, pancakes for the duck, and other miscellaneous items. I can't prove this has all coincided with their glowing article in the Post, which appears to have greatly increased their popularity and business, but it sure seems that way. We simply can't trust this place any more, and so we don't plan to return. What a shame!

While I'm sorry for your experience, I'm glad it's not just us.  This had become our go-to carry-out Chinese and while I hate to say we were regulars, we did carry-out about once every three weeks during the lockdown.  The past several visits have been awful.  We, too, have had forgotten entrees, pancakes, sauces, etc., and the food has been flavorless across the board.  While we have not found other reliable options in the area (and we've lived in Vienna over 25 years), this is no longer even a consideration. 

• Sad 1

I agree on the disappointment.  Tried CW twice for takeout in the past four months based on thumbs up here and Tim Carman in WP.  Dr. Delicious described exactly what we experienced.  Perhaps the Post has had the reverse effect (or possibly the place was sold?).  Not going back.

I also agree on Eric's comment on Fahrenheit - started out great, nice Szehcuan kick to many unusual dishes, Tyler Cowen was a big fan.  Then it slipped and swan dived on our past visits.  Prices went way up, service went way down, cooking was uneven.  I have rooted for Lily to succeed but there are too many missing parts and the wheels were falling off.  Stick to the knitting or whatever in hopes she can turn this around.  We have not been back as reviews have are not positive for the past year.

Heard mixed comments at Han Palace - on Friday, a couple raved about the quality of the dim sum and the beautiful room.  The same day, another friend said it was great 2 years ago but HP now has indifferent service, chilly reception and even colder dishes that should be hot.  How can there be such a divergence of late?

Anyone recently been to Mark's Duck House?  As regulars for years, we gave up after mediocre visits and dirty dishes etc.  The new ownership and updating the room could be encouraging.  Hope so as its impossible to find "Chinese" cuisine - esp takeout - in NoVa that is worth the effort and tariff.  Happy to pay for quality and consistency but I can't find it.

• Sad 1