Killarney & Galway City

liz2041

I am taking my parents, 3 sisters and 2 brothers on a Tour de Force of the Motherland in 3 weeks. We will be 3 days in Killarney and 7 days just outside Galway City (in Kinvara). Any recommendations are greatly appreciated - particularly those that serve meat. Dad doesn't eat fish or any other seafood (except for the filet-o' during lent) so he is my biggest concern. Thanks so much in advance! As for me, I will be at the pub wondering what the hell I was thinking getting myself into this....

Wow - that'll be quite a trip - sure to be remembered by all of you for a long time to come!

I don't have any helpful dining suggestions in either spot, but would highly recommend a day trip to Portumna and on to Terryglass, which has a lovely restaurant I wrote about in this post. It might be a little pricey, but the website says they have a bar menu and value lunch. Portumna is a pretty spot along Lough Derg, with boat rentals/rides available. Looks like it's a little over an hour from Kinvarra.

In Killarney, you might want to look into a jaunting cart ride to the Muckross House. It's been quite a few years since I was there, and I really don't remember any great meals. There was great craic at the Killarney Grand Hotel - live music and set dancing (Wednesdays).

I know you weren't looking for sight-seeing suggestions - if my travel companions remember more dining details about either place, I'll post them :)