Sticky Rice

porcupine

Sometimes the internet is no help at all. Some sources don't rinse or soak the rice. Some sources soak if for a short time. Some sources soak it for a long time (like, overnight).

So I'm turning to you all for help. How do you cook sticky rice (I do not have a rice cooker)?

I'm not sure if you mean a type of rice or making it sticky. It depends on the rice. If you want it quite sticky, you need to ensure that there's a significant amount of starch, which is obviously achieved with minimal rinsing. I imagine the long soak has something to do with trying to bring the starch into the water. A lot of the typical long grain rices that you find in American groceries tend to be less sticky and starchy. Short grain rices are more likely to be starchy. Just think about it in the context of risotto as well.

Sometimes the internet is no help at all. Some sources don't rinse or soak the rice. Some sources soak if for a short time. Some sources soak it for a long time (like, overnight).

So I'm turning to you all for help. How do you cook sticky rice (I do not have a rice cooker)?

I think I have done it both ways -- soak and not soak. Soaking helps it cook more thoroughly - similar to cooking beans, I guess.

Cooking methods have varied from steaming to stovetop cooking. Will edit after consult with mom.

Actually, consult was with sister, who agreed that soaking makes it easier to cook. She also said to keep in mind that there are 2 types: short (and round) vs. long grain sticky, glutinous rice. She has only worked with short grain (same here).

My sister steams hers by the following method:

1. Wash rice in hot water;
  2. Use cheesecloth and lay in bottom of top steamer rack put rice on top of cheesecloth (no need to soak);
  3. Add sufficient water to bottom pot;
  4. Steam until done. (check the rack here and there).

Her recommendation was to use less water compared to cooking regular short grain rice, but we both agreed that if you cook it on the stovetop, you need to keep a careful eye on it, lest it burns and sticks to your pot. (Usu. 15-20mins)

Glad things worked out!

Edited by goodeats

Thanks, both of you. I was referring to very short grain glutinous rice that I bought in an Asian grocery store. For dinner last night I washed it several times, soaked it for about an hour, cooked for about 15 minutes, and let it rest for another ten minutes. I used 2 1/2 cups of water for 2 cups of rice. It came out a bit wetter and softer than I like, but tastily sticky, and a nice side dish for ma po tofu and stir fried vegetables. It was better this morning re-heated with coconut milk and a bit of sugar for breakfast. Damn, now I've gone and made myself hungry again.

Goodeats, would love to hear what your mom says.

Thanks, both of you. I was referring to very short grain glutinous rice that I bought in an Asian grocery store. For dinner last night I washed it several times, soaked it for about an hour, cooked for about 15 minutes, and let it rest for another ten minutes. I used 2 1/2 cups of water for 2 cups of rice. It came out a bit wetter and softer than I like, but tastily sticky, and a nice side dish for ma po tofu and stir fried vegetables.

Depending on the rice you bought, most of them you don't need to rinse. If it's labeled enriched, the cloudy water is the result of a vitamin-enriched powder that coats the outside to protect the rice grains. In some cases, some are covered with talc, and should be rinsed. General rule for water when I was growing up was 1:1, though an old trick is if the water covers your fingers when placed flat against the top of the rice (approx. 1 inch over the top of the rice) you've got enough. Wish I knew more about timing...