Rice Bar, Korean Fast Casual Featuring Bibimbap - Now Up to Multiple Area Locations

On 7/12/2010 at 8:51 AM, 'goodeats said:

Chopped. A quick drive-by show that Cafe Chopsticks has now become Bibimbap Sushi, but a google search yielded a solid #fail on finding a website.

It seems like a completely different place. The bibimbap is really, really tasty -- and something genuinely different amid the sea of blah sandwich places.

It seems like a completely different place. The bibimbap is really, really tasty -- and something genuinely different amid the sea of blah sandwich places.

Did you happen to see the hours? I'm hoping against hope that they have weekend hours....

How does it compare to the yellow lunch cart over on 14th & Vermont? If this is a better Korean option it would save a longish walk for my occasional fix.

How does it compare to the yellow lunch cart over on 14th & Vermont? If this is a better Korean option it would save a longish walk for my occasional fix.

I stopped by not to eat today but to grab a menu. FYI they still have a few types of udon and ramen, but the focus is clearly on bibimbap. Looking forward to trying it one day soon

My friend turned me on to this place just north of K st on 19th St today. He used to work nearby and loved it. After a very filling bibimbap and a quick moving line out the door I can see why. While they have sushi and other japanese food in the back, everyone was pretty much coming for bibimbap or similar Korean-style mix and match ingredients with noodle or as noodle soup. Bibimbap is perfect for this kind of make your own mix selection and they have lots of choices. About 12-15 different vegetable and nut choices for topping, plus 3 different kinds of rice (white, black, or brown), then a variety of proteins (plain and spicy tofu, runnish eggs, bulgogi beef, kalbi beef, chicken, maybe some others too), 4 different Asian sauces (plus they have bottles at the carryout line and on the tables to add more to your liking). All of the toppings I had were very good and fresh - the proteins were good but could have been a bit better. Not the best bulgogi and the runny egg was pre-made and only runnyish. That said it was a huge bowl and I had probably way too many toppings. Some of the best ones were the kimchi, lightly seasoned and pickled cucumbers, and assorted mushrooms. My buddy said the radish slaw is really good too. They also have some nice dessert options - I didn't try the 3 mini pieces of mochi in assorted flavors but wish I did. The nutella filled cookie was a delight. Overall a really good lunch option and the line moved quick - maybe too quick it was hard to decide among all of the choices. Maybe next time I'll plan ahead - here is the menu: http://ricebardc.com/ (Click on design your own bibimbap for the topping options).

• Like 2

I'll admit something. I went to Rice Bar once on a Thursday for ramen (based on DR's ramen thread). The ramen soup was sold out and I was so overwhelmed by the ordering system that I ordered something I didn't like nor can remember. Since then, I've considered going a few times only to leave before walking through the door, or leave when I see the line out of the door, or leave when I can't figure out the first STEP at this place.

Fortunately, I got to Rice Bar early today. No line. I had grabbed a menu during my last attempt so had carefully considered my options. I decided on the pre-determined "bulgogi noodle soup" which allowed me to go through the line without making a single decision, I thought, but I did have to make decisions. 

1. What type of noodle? There's 4; I picked udon.

2. What type of broth? There's 2; I picked miso.

3. What kind of sauce do you want? (IDK i answered). "It usually comes with this one" me: OK. Them: how hot do you want it?

Let me just pause here. That's a lot of decisions and I cut out like 24 other decisions by picking something I thought was pre-determined (but was only partially predetermined).

They asked other questions but you get the picture.

Verdict: Loved it. Bean sprouts, zucchini, eggplant, bulgogi and egg are all wonderful in the miso broth. Next time I might swap out the kale and carrots for some mushrooms.

Although the predetermined noodle soup price was listed at 11.49,  I was charged $14 so I got something wrong somewhere. It's a bustling, cramped, popular place but the serving size is huge and i have leftovers to tomorrow, or later today. 

A note on the line: it moves really, really fast...so be ready. 😉

I have gone twice.  I got noodles once, rice once.  This was Hubby's daily/weekly lunch spot when he worked for Edelman.  I really like the forbidden rice, spicy chicken and then load up all the veggies you want.  If you don't pick a sauce, they do have some you can add yourself by the drinks.  The noodles were more confusing on the ordering.  I really love the food and it is very fresh.  I wish they had an ordering system like HoneyGrow/Sheetz where you went to a computer stand and it walked you through the steps and you could only choose what you were supposed to choose, and had a few specials that you could just hit and that was it, decision done.  I REALLY wish they would pair up with Uber Eats too.